{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Prep for fans returning/bail-out/Project big picture etc

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 'Project Big Picture' - football’s biggest shake-up ...

Postby garlic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:59 pm

chip63 wrote:It's all talk talk talk.
It's going to be too late very soon.
If crowds come back after March. Only the top half of the tables would get enough crowds.

Still think your idea of a 5% cut from all premier league transfers has a lot of merit.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 am

The clandestine behaviour of the American owners drawing up plans to seize control of the English game is poor form.

For them to then vote against their own proposals smacks of guilt.

Rick 'friend of Liverpool' has to go for this. Clearly in cahoots.

Hopefully this is the end of the matter, but I doubt it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:25 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:The clandestine behaviour of the American owners drawing up plans to seize control of the English game is poor form.

Greg Clarke the chairman of the FA has proposed Premier league 1 and 2 again and B teams. This will never go away until the elite get what they want. Why is the game being run in thks country by so many people who haven't got a clue?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:35 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -payments/
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:24 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:The clandestine behaviour of the American owners drawing up plans to seize control of the English game is poor form.

I find it strange Rick Parry is in command of the EFL given his links with LFC. He’s biased and always will be. Why not just let Liverpool play Man United in their own two team league forever. Can the EFL teams vote to get rid of both of them? I wish.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Won't need to bother about this for a few years if GC stays as we'll be non league.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Hopefully, this evening, one of the poisonous two, Manchester United, lose to one to the teams that they don’t deem important enough to have an equal say in the Premier Leagues governance. Despite them being a much better run club financially.

Come on the Toon.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Apparently "top" premier league clubs in talks to form elite European super league.. Wonder if man u are allowed in seeing as now nothing but bang average and man City and arsenal who have never even won Europe's top prize be allowed into this elite money grabbing club.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby spanishstag » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Spiritater wrote:Won't need to bother about this for a few years if GC stays as we'll be non league.

Ever the optimist :P
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:44 pm

English Football League: Government asked to defer tax payments at clubs

Read more at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54662134
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:16 am

spanishstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Won't need to bother about this for a few years if GC stays as we'll be non league.

You carry on kissing that piccie of GC every night before you go to bed my duck. Oh and give us a tune on t'fiddle too. :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:12 am

Spiritater wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

You carry on kissing that piccie of GC every night before you go to bed my duck. Oh and give us a tune on t'fiddle too. :lol:

I strangley find myself agreeing with spirit hater on something....
Weird times.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:51 am

So the latest on Project Big Picture or ‘How to shaft the national sport so a few clubs can make themselves richer’:

Rick Parry has not done the decent thing and resigned.
Greg Clarke has been found out telling untruths about the timeline and is basically a stooge for the big six and has not done the decent thing and resigned.
The promised bail out money, now in the form of an advance in next seasons money has not yet been issued.
Clubs are floating the idea of not paying their taxes en bloc as a solution. What a sound business mind the owners have when they put their heads together.
West Ham Fans are still not allowed in but can watch the game in a cinema within 500 yds of the ground.
No further PBP proposals have been published.
The EFL still have not appointed the independent directors as they were recommended to during their own independent governance review.
I-follow still favours the bigger clubs when it comes to monetary distribution. (This definitely needs addressing as it is a sort of PBP lite tv deal).
Newcastle Fans, God bless the Geordie nation, are illegally streaming their games and donating the money they would have given Sky to the local food bank.
Our elected member after grandstanding and getting, what passes as a Prime Minister these days, to mention the clubs name in Parliament, has not offered nor stated anything regarding Project Big picture and how it affects us.
The National Team, after 28 yrs of the Premier League (which we were sold was set up to further the national side), has still not got further than the last World Cup in 1990 (Losing semi-final) and recently lost to Denmark.
Players still take the knee though clubs are up in arms that the FA are threatening to make signings from outside the EU be a full international. How does that sit with the slavery angle of buying a 16 yr old from Nigeria?
The FA bangs on about inclusion in football but has yet to say anything against Quatar and its societal moral compass?

Up the Stags by the way. Being a Stags fan makes you feel a lot less slimey than those at the top.

It is being being televised, though is it our demise or will it be the revolution?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Re: Prep for fans returning/bail-out/Project big picture etc

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:15 am

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rick ... -067krxv02

Rick Parry accuses government of victimising EFL clubs amid ‘unfair’ treatment
exclusive
Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter
Wednesday October 28 2020, 3.15pm, The Times

Football clubs are being “victimised” by the government’s “unfair” refusal to provide financial support during the Covid-19 pandemic while providing hundreds of millions to the arts, the chairman of the English Football League has warned ministers in a hard-hitting letter.

The letter from Rick Parry to the culture secretary Oliver Dowden, a copy of which has been seen by The Times, spells out the crisis affecting clubs and questions why they are being “ignored” by a government that has provided a £1.5 billion rescue package for arts. He says fans “will never forgive” the government if their clubs go bust.

Parry writes: “While football grounds in Rochdale, Grimsby, Mansfield and Carlisle might seem an awful long way from Glyndebourne or the Royal Ballet, they are nonetheless equally important parts of our nation’s heritage.

“It must have dawned on you that it is deeply unfair that cultural institutions like these are receiving government hand-outs while also being able to generate revenues by admitting the paying public.”

Parry’s letter, which has been copied to all 72 clubs, says the Premier League may not be able to fund the size of the bailout needed by the EFL. The tone of the letter highlights the EFL’s belief that time has run out for many clubs.

It goes on: “For some reason, football is being regarded as a peculiarly undeserving case and, as a result, many of our clubs have now reached the conclusion that we are at best being ignored by a government that doesn’t understand our national sport and at worst being victimised by it.

“Ultimately, the football public will judge the performance of this Conservative government on how many football clubs remain in business once the pandemic finally subsides. Certainly, those communities that are inextricably linked to their local team will never forgive it if their beloved football clubs are driven into extinction.”

Dowden has previously insisted that the 20 Premier League clubs must support the 72 in the EFL, who say they need £250 million to survive a season without fans. So far the top flight has only offered £20 million to clubs in League One and League Two, plus another £30 million in loans as an emergency fund.

Parry’s letter says: “Discussions with the Premier League continue, however it is clear that top-flight clubs are also feeling the effects of the pandemic, particularly the loss of gate revenue, and it may not be in a position to provide the level of support that is required.

“Therefore, the onus remains on you to remedy the situation rather than thinking of it as ‘job done’. After all, it is the government that is currently preventing fans from going to games not the Premier League.

“EFL clubs, almost all of them the social cornerstone of the towns and cities they bear the names of, stand on the brink of a financial precipice.

“The government’s response to the crisis that is engulfing football is particularly galling when compared with the comparative generosity being extended to other areas of your portfolio — for example, the £1.5 billion funding package to the arts sector alone.

“Yet at the same time, football is told to support itself and its clubs have to play behind closed doors. I am sure you can understand how this disparity in approach must look to football fans in constituencies across the country.”

Parry’s letter calls for “a clear plan”, including getting fans safely back into stadiums as soon as possible and allowing clubs to defer PAYE payments “so that clubs do not continue to haemorrhage cash while playing behind closed doors”.

He adds: “In any event, clubs will soon begin defaulting on these payments and the government would be better off managing this situation rather than having it land on its toes.”
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:50 pm

Yet again it's all talk talk talk.
Action needs taking right now.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:15 am

from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54895818

EFL: Clubs accept £50m Premier League rescue package for League One & Two

English Football League clubs have "agreed in principle" for clubs in League One and Two to receive a £50m short-term rescue package from the Premier League.
Thur 12 Nov 2020

EFL clubs had initially rejected the amount in October.

The agreement comes two days after after a parliamentary committee heard that 10 EFL clubs are struggling to pay wages this month.

The EFL said Thursday's discussions were "overwhelmingly positive".

The league's statement continued: "Following a comprehensive debate in all three divisions, a collective agreement in principle was made to move forward and finalise the negotiations, with Championship clubs making it clear today that they wanted to ensure their colleagues in League One and League Two received the proposed £50m financial support package to cover gate losses for 2019-20 and 2020-21 as soon as is practically possible.

"Championship clubs also acknowledged that discussions in respect of the levels of support they will receive will remain ongoing.

"The EFL believes that today represents a significant step forward and is hopeful that a final agreement on the short-term rescue package across all three divisions can be reached imminently which will provide much needed support, clarity and certainty for all EFL clubs at a time when they need it most."
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:01 am

Sold themselves short then. Desperate times.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:43 am

It shouldn’t be a loan. The Premier League is a money making machine and they should support the lower leagues. The irony that a fortnights wages for Ozil would have saved Bury is shameful.
I’m not talking about charity and sustaining poorly run business but there should be more even distribution of money downwards. A couple of percent would do.

I don’t see the Premier League as real football.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:21 am

bellwhiff wrote:It shouldn’t be a loan. The Premier League is a money making machine and they should support the lower leagues. The irony that a fortnights wages for Ozil would have saved Bury is shameful.
I’m not talking about charity and sustaining poorly run business but there should be more even distribution of money downwards. A couple of percent would do.

Bury cheated they don’t deserve anything. They cost us a promotion place due to their financial cheating. It’s teams who are suffering due to COVID that need help, not those who continually mismanage their finances like the Bury’s & Bolton’s of this world.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:25 am

Project restart was supposed to allow premier clubs to finish the season so they didn't have to give back 350 million to tv broadcasters, it was understood they would use some of this money to help the league clubs.
That was the time to agree a financial package not now.
Nothing's agreed, the words they say are " hopeful, agreed in principle, as soon as practically possible "

They should stop the January transfer window until this is resolved.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:49 am

Dan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:It shouldn’t be a loan. The Premier League is a money making machine and they should support the lower leagues. The irony that a fortnights wages for Ozil would have saved Bury is shameful.

Bury cheated they don’t deserve anything. They cost us a promotion place due to their financial cheating. It’s teams who are suffering due to COVID that need help, not those who continually mismanage their finances like the Bury’s & Bolton’s of this world.

I was using Bury as an example of the amounts of money that would have saved a club of that size. I did specifically state that it shouldn’t save poorly run businesses.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:16 pm

I know loans were discussed before, but I don't see anything in that statement to say this money is a loan, all it says is that it is to cover lost gate receipts for 19/20 and 20/21. Is it somewhere else that it is a loan? I agree on both points, if it is a loan it shouldn't be, it's deferring financial hardship and the Premier League isn't real football.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Rob wrote:

I know loans were discussed before, but I don't see anything in that statement to say this money is a loan, all it says is that it is to cover lost gate receipts for 19/20 and 20/21. Is it somewhere else that it is a loan? I agree on both points, if it is a loan it shouldn't be, it's deferring financial hardship and the Premier League isn't real football.

I think I've read somewhere it's 20 million in grants and 30 million available for loans if needed.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 pm

from Lee Anderson MP facebook page

Come On You Stags.
Today I asked the Minister to consider allowing more fans into grounds based on their capacity. For example Stags would need around 2,000 fans in to really help the club stay afloat.
I reckon its much safer in a football ground than certain supermarkets.
Got told off for wearing my Stags scarf.
COYS

video here -->

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=sea ... 20anderson
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:34 pm

Oh dear. Here comes the politics.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum