{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

EFL to stage pilots with up to 1000 fans this weekend

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

EFL to stage pilots with up to 1000 fans this weekend

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: EFL to stage pilots with up to 1000 fans this weekend

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:51 pm

This morning's The Times:

Return of fans could be limited to 1,000 per match
Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter
Tuesday September 15 2020, 12.00am, The Times

The number of fans allowed into sporting events after October 1 may be restricted to between 1,000 and 2,500 if the government decides the coronavirus infection rate is too high to allow stadiums to be up to one-third full.

Senior figures in football have told The Times that talks have taken place over resorting to such a plan if the original timescale has to be changed, although such a limit would be strongly opposed by Premier League clubs, who claim that safe measures are already in place for a larger-scale return of fans.

The option is one of several set to be discussed this week at a meeting of sports leaders with Oliver Dowden, the secretary of state for digital, culture, media and sport. Allowing a further-reduced number of spectators would ease fears about the risk of transmission of the virus on public transport and in pubs before and after matches. It would also provide ticket money for clubs in Leagues One and Two.

Whitehall insiders say there is still an aim to get as many fans as possible into stadiums from October 1, but that they will have to be guided by Public Health England. A decision must be taken soon as the RFU needs to start selling tickets for the autumn internationals at Twickenham, as does the FA for England matches against Wales, Belgium and Denmark at Wembley next month.

Top-flight clubs reacted angrily to the government announcing last week that pilot events would be limited to 1,000 supporters, claiming that they had measures in place to allow fans to return safely, and said they would not take part in any such events until more fans are allowed. It is understood that Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa are particularly unhappy.

The EFL, however, will push ahead with pilot events. Queens Park Rangers v Middlesbrough, on September 26, could be one match at which 1,000 fans are present.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby w12stag » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:06 pm

No chance Orient v Stags on Saturday then for my annual w12/e10 pilgrimage? Shame
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ParisStag » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:43 pm

w12stag wrote:No chance Orient v Stags on Saturday then for my annual w12/e10 pilgrimage? Shame

Easy ride on the central line that.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 am

Good luck to those who want to go as things currently stand.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:08 am

The situation is get worse, the trials will cease.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 am

Had the Stags applied to have any of these events.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:00 am

part time pete wrote:Had the Stags applied to have any of these events.

I think David Sharpe suggested we did/would for the previous round, in his interview on iFollow.

For this round, we are not at home.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 am

Here's what Orient had to say - sounds like they were offered the opportunity very late and are not pleased with only being given 24 hours to put in their application.

https://www.leytonorient.com/2020/09/16 ... sed-doors/
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:22 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
part time pete wrote:Had the Stags applied to have any of these events.

I think David Sharpe suggested we did/would for the previous round, in his interview on iFollow.

For this round, we are not at home.

Hopefully there are plans for similar pilots the following week and we can get some fans in there for the Exeter game. Sounds as though we’ve been quite proactive with trying to get involved with the pilots.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:35 am

Stupid Comms from the EFL. R number is going up, we aren't going in anytime soon despite a 'test event'.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 am

Surely any crowd attendance allowed less than season ticket sales would be counterproductive.
1000 fans would need staff stewards etc..
I can only hope if the 1000 is a safe success then an increase every game is allowed.
Very difficult times for all clubs and supporters.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 am

Daily Mail states private testing company in talks, test all before game charging 15 quid
no capacity limit !!
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:10 am

Bearing in mind that only 3 weeks ago a charity football match in the north east ended up with over 60 confirmed cases out of an attendance of 300, it seems a little bit early for people pushing for crowds back in football grounds.
I have no idea of the layout of the ground involved, but as it was at a working mens club I would assume it was quite open, proving that transmission in outdoor environments is very much still an issue if good social distancing measures are not in place. As most league grounds involve passing through a concourse, often with narrow passages, to enter and exit the ground, and also to use toilet facilities, I would say that crowds at football is still a high risk environment. Even in the stands you are sitting in a partial enclosed area which would probably also increase the risk of infection.
While I appreciate that clubs need money, the costs of opening the ground to limited crowds with all the mitigations in place would probably mean that most would make less from having a restricted crowd in the ground than they would from all of us sitting at home and buying the match online.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:15 am

The One wrote:Daily Mail states private testing company in talks, test all before game charging 15 quid
no capacity limit !!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... games.html
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:38 am

The One wrote:Daily Mail states private testing company in talks, test all before game charging 15 quid
no capacity limit !!

£15 per test I assume so an extra £15 per game on top of the normal ticket price ?
Even if this is only adopted by the Premiership, with average gates of 30,000 that would be an income of £4.5m per game week. Obviously that is only the gross income and there will be costs involved in the testing and the app but it's still a nice little earner for somebody.
Just another example of how this whole situation is panning out. The economy continues to be prioritised.
The rhetoric that the government are now using that most infections happen in the home is utter bull. Obviously if somebody contracts the virus it is highly likely that they will pass it on to their nearest and dearest as that is who they are in regular close contact with, but the first person in the household to become infected has to pick it up from somewhere - it doesn't walk into the house of its own accord.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
no capacity limit !!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... games.html

That is not the article SFL
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Let people in but tell them they must always wear a mask until they get back to their vehicles. I’m sure even those who are against wearing one (or who think they’re better than anyone else) would wear one if they got to see their club play ‘live’.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Dan wrote:Let people in but tell them they must always wear a mask until they get back to their vehicles. I’m sure even those who are against wearing one (or who think they’re better than anyone else) would wear one if they got to see their club play ‘live’.

With proposed capacity restrictions of 25% or whatever I don’t think there’ll be a need to wear a mask when sat in your seat watching the game. Nobody on the row in front or behind and a few seats spare either side, as well as it being outside mitigates risk a lot in my opinion. I think wearing one in the queue, in the concourse areas/toilets, and making your way to your seat would be sufficient, but I suppose everybody has their own viewpoint on it!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Just so I understand.

I can't meet more than 5 people in a public space, but I can go to a public place with 999 other people if I'm watching football.

Seems eminently sensible. :/
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Just so I understand.

I can't meet more than 5 people in a public space, but I can go to a public place with 999 other people if I'm watching football.

Seems eminently sensible. :/

You could also go to an enclosed space called an 'office' with 20 of your work colleagues, all having had to travel on public transport to get there. Should only 7 of those people decide to go out socially and sit outside in a park after work than that would be illegal.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:Let people in but tell them they must always wear a mask until they get back to their vehicles. I’m sure even those who are against wearing one (or who think they’re better than anyone else) would wear one if they got to see their club play ‘live’.

With proposed capacity restrictions of 25% or whatever I don’t think there’ll be a need to wear a mask when sat in your seat watching the game. Nobody on the row in front or behind and a few seats spare either side, as well as it being outside mitigates risk a lot in my opinion. I think wearing one in the queue, in the concourse areas/toilets, and making your way to your seat would be sufficient, but I suppose everybody has their own viewpoint on it!

Just as a comparison to this, my other hobby away from football is watching stock car racing. As this is classed as an amateur sport rather than the elite categorisation of professional football, race meetings have been taking place again since early August at some venues. These venues are obviously outdoors, mainly with uncovered terracing, some with small areas of covered terracing, and some with areas of seating both covered and uncovered. Each of the venues is running to restricted capacities of around 10-20% of full capacity as agreed with local EHOs to allow for social distancing. The majority of the tracks have been instructed to make mask wearing compulsory in all areas, even on open terracing, and also in uncovered seating despite them using the same distancing rules as our season tickets have been sold at (every 3rd seat on every 2nd row).
I am not saying this will be the case when football grounds re-open, but as this has been imposed by EHOs at other sports venues throughout the country I would think it is highly likely that when the gates are finally opened mask wearing is likely to be compulsory to begin with.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:32 pm

They’ve been doing it in Scotland and it’s worked fine. Don’t see why we can’t do it here. If you’re that desperate to go and support your team then you’ll wear a mask. It’s getting to October soon so people will be wearing scarves etc so not much difference.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:33 pm

I think, at the end of the day and if football spectators do return, you have to do your own risk assessment and to go with it.

Meetings of only six people in house or garden, going to work on public transport, everything in life, including going to supermarkets etc, all carry a risk. We all have to eat so going to the supermarket is a must for most, but not all, so we take the risk. Going to work is also a must, unless you can work from home, another risk many have to take.
Going to football isn't essential but desirable, the question is, id it worth the risk as infections in Mansfield and everwhere else are increasing by the day?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum