{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Graham Coughlan Preston post match & game highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Graham Coughlan Preston post match & game highlights

Postby Walton Stag » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:51 am

Looking at Preston’s first goal in detail on the video, it is clear that both of our wing backs are asked to push up high to prevent them from playing out from the back. Once the ball is launched long, O’Keefe and Benning are too high up the pitch and the space wide of the 3 centre backs is massive. At the point were Rawson is challenging for the ball, both wing backs are only just entering our half, along with, I think Charsley, leaving the eventual goal scorer with acres of space once he receives the ball. It was a great finish, but the point is we had 3 centre backs defending 2 central strikers and a wide man.

I think the wing backs were following instructions to push up on their full backs. The second goal is also a good example of the wing backs being too far up the park as well. A simple through ball between our centre halves and the lad is again in acres of space. Clearly there is something there that needs addressing in training but I do not blame Benning for the first goal nor O’Keefe for the second.

Some people on here are saying that Preston are a good side and we’ll be fine against league 2 sides. I believe that, given that amount of space, even average sides in our league will cause us problems out wide.

I’m not going to tell GC how to do his job. I like him and believe he will do a great job of managing our side. But any scout watching us on Saturday will highlight this weakness. I would expect our wing backs to be less adventurous in future. Time will tell.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:59 am

Walton Stag wrote:Looking at Preston’s first goal in detail on the video, it is clear that both of our wing backs are asked to push up high to prevent them from playing out from the back. Once the ball is launched long, O’Keefe and Benning are too high up the pitch and the space wide of the 3 centre backs is massive. At the point were Rawson is challenging for the ball, both wing backs are only just entering our half, along with, I think Charsley, leaving the eventual goal scorer with acres of space once he receives the ball. It was a great finish, but the point is we had 3 centre backs defending 2 central strikers and a wide man.

I think the wing backs were following instructions to push up on their full backs. The second goal is also a good example of the wing backs being too far up the park as well. A simple through ball between our centre halves and the lad is again in acres of space. Clearly there is something there that needs addressing in training but I do not blame Benning for the first goal nor O’Keefe for the second.

Some people on here are saying that Preston are a good side and we’ll be fine against league 2 sides. I believe that, given that amount of space, even average sides in our league will cause us problems out wide.

I’m not going to tell GC how to do his job. I like him and believe he will do a great job of managing our side. But any scout watching us on Saturday will highlight this weakness. I would expect our wing backs to be less adventurous in future. Time will tell.

Excellent post.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:17 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I know the wing backs need to get up and down in this system, but I’d have hoped that GC would’ve said to them, up against top Championship opposition, just sit in alongside your centre backs, particularly for the first half hour or so.

I felt a bit sorry for the wing backs with the ball. There was absolutely no option given to them by midfielders for them to progress the ball forward, so the only option they had most of the time was to go alone or hit hopeful channel balls. Hopefully that was just because of the standard of opposition and not a theme going forward, but the likes of Maris and Charsley need to be brave and offer an option. Particularly with Cook and Rose up top, neither of whom are useful at holding the ball up or running in behind.

Cook int that bad at holding the ball up tbf

Bowery is supposedly better at holding the ball up.

I can see Bowrey being another Craig Davies, but achieving the same while playing 30 odd more games :lol:

Bloke hasn’t even kicked a ball in anger for the club and already the ghouls are out

Fans eh
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:22 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I know the wing backs need to get up and down in this system, but I’d have hoped that GC would’ve said to them, up against top Championship opposition, just sit in alongside your centre backs, particularly for the first half hour or so.

I felt a bit sorry for the wing backs with the ball. There was absolutely no option given to them by midfielders for them to progress the ball forward, so the only option they had most of the time was to go alone or hit hopeful channel balls. Hopefully that was just because of the standard of opposition and not a theme going forward, but the likes of Maris and Charsley need to be brave and offer an option. Particularly with Cook and Rose up top, neither of whom are useful at holding the ball up or running in behind.

Cook int that bad at holding the ball up tbf

Bowery is supposedly better at holding the ball up.

I can see Bowrey being another Craig Davies, but achieving the same while playing 30 odd more games :lol:

Bloke hasn’t even kicked a ball in anger for the club and already the ghouls are out

Fans eh

Oh dear, its just an opinion dry your eyes. Honestly how do you manage to support a club being so sensitive? :lol:

Ill be supporting him and the rest of the squad when we can attend in person... just one signing I'm not impressed with and sent think we need.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:23 pm

For the first Preston goal, we just needed our 6 foot 4 centre half to beat a 5 foot 9 centre forward in the air and head the ball away. Basics.

Farrend Rawson was responsible for two if not three goals on Saturday. Krystian Pearce could be a massive loss.

We need a leader at the back who will organise the defence which includes rollocking the wing backs when they push too high up the pitch and pulling them back into shape.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:49 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Walton Stag wrote:Looking at Preston’s first goal in detail on the video, it is clear that both of our wing backs are asked to push up high to prevent them from playing out from the back. Once the ball is launched long, O’Keefe and Benning are too high up the pitch and the space wide of the 3 centre backs is massive. At the point were Rawson is challenging for the ball, both wing backs are only just entering our half, along with, I think Charsley, leaving the eventual goal scorer with acres of space once he receives the ball. It was a great finish, but the point is we had 3 centre backs defending 2 central strikers and a wide man.

Excellent post.

Totally agree. I made a similar point on two separate posts, but SpanishStag shot me down saying 'that i was i was not as qualified as GC, but thanks for the input.' :lol:
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Vice President wrote:GC says that there is a 'lot of hard work to do'. I am sure there is.
The quickest fix to sort out the defence is to play a conventional back 4.
Failing that, if he is going to insist with playing 3 at the back, then tell the wing backs to stay back more and not leave such big gaping holes.

Think GC is more qualified to manage the team than you ,though thank you for your input

So are people on this message board not entitled to an opinion SpanishStag?
That type of ignorant, facile, unconstructive input and rudeness is one of the reasons why I rarely look at/post on this message board anymore.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:03 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:For the first Preston goal, we just needed our 6 foot 4 centre half to beat a 5 foot 9 centre forward in the air and head the ball away. Basics.

Farrend Rawson was responsible for two if not three goals on Saturday. Krystian Pearce could be a massive loss.

We need a leader at the back who will organise the defence which includes rollocking the wing backs when they push too high up the pitch and pulling them back into shape.

That could just be rustiness though. Although we looked 'fit' and could run until the end, possibly from having a week's more training than Preston, we weren't as match fit. Preston finished their season not that long ago, while we last kicked a ball in anger in March. It's hard to measure that kind of thing, but I do think it could have played a part in some players not being first to the ball on occasions.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:18 pm

I’ve only seen the highlights but the Keeper looks unsure, and the defence looks unsure of him. Hope I’m wrong. We were playing a very good team though. Cook unlucky not to score. It’s not all bad!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pm

Vice President wrote:So are people on this message board not entitled to an opinion SpanishStag?
That type of ignorant, facile, unconstructive input and rudeness is one of the reasons why I rarely look at/post on this message board anymore.

Keep posting your views and opinions VP. That is the whole point of a football forum. People will have different views and different opinions about games, managers and players but that is all part of the fun.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:51 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Vice President wrote:So are people on this message board not entitled to an opinion SpanishStag?

Keep posting your views and opinions VP. That is the whole point of a football forum. People will have different views and different opinions about games, managers and players but that is all part of the fun.

Keep posting VP. There was nothing wrong with what you said, you were just offering an opinion.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:10 pm

Vice President wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Vice President wrote:GC says that there is a 'lot of hard work to do'. I am sure there is.
Failing that, if he is going to insist with playing 3 at the back, then tell the wing backs to stay back more and not leave such big gaping holes.

Think GC is more qualified to manage the team than you ,though thank you for your input

Keep posting. Replies like that usually indicate you make a good valid point they don't agree with but can't argue against what you put.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:17 pm

Vice President wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Whats ignorant about saying that i think gc is better qualified than you to manage our team ,where is the rudeness in my post
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:25 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Vice President wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Keep posting. Replies like that usually indicate you make a good valid point they don't agree with but can't argue against what you put.

Posts like this usually ,are aimed at all the fifa managers who think they are master technicians its a simple game and i dont pretend to be a tactical genius unlike you but i think G C is better qualified than all on here ,but hey ho the usual posters know best
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Adam H » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:25 pm

I think some of the criticism of Benning in particular is harsh. If he is going to persist with 3 at the back I personally hope we keep our wingbacks pushed on. With a narrow midfield and little pace up front to run in behind, they are going to be our main attacking outlet.

This does put the onus of defending on the back three and two holding midfielders but between them there should enough experience and man power to deal with most threats. My early worries centre around, Perch having the legs to cover the pitch, Rawson looking a bit Mirfin like and Sweeney being dragged out wide.

Maybe against a Championship side our wing backs should have been slightly less adventurous but I worry if we’re talking about reigning them in. I’d rather them play as high as possible. Otherwise we will be very limited going forward.

Wingback is the hardest position on the pitch, let alone against a top Championship team with next to no pre-season. There are very few players who are equally good going forward as defending. Benning and O’Keefe will do for me.
Adam H
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:30 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Vice President wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Whats ignorant about saying that i think gc is better qualified than you to manage our team ,where is the rudeness in my post

Come on Spanish, it wasn't an innocent comment by you at all. You tried to say that VP's comment and opinion were not valuable when indeed they were, he never claimed to be challenging the manager.

Too much sun on your part Spanish.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:39 pm

oldweststander wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Vice President wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Come on Spanish, it wasn't an innocent comment by you at all. You tried to say that VP's comment and opinion were not valuable when indeed they were, he never claimed to be challenging the manager.

Too much sun on your part Spanish.

No it was a simple comment ,aimed at all the super tacticians on this board ,nothing more ,nothing less ,
And your perception of my post is the most condescending thing i have ever read on here
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:52 pm

Too much sun on your part Spanish.[/quote]
No it was a simple comment ,aimed at all the super tacticians on this board ,nothing more ,nothing less ,
And your perception of my post is the most condescending thing i have ever read on here[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Popcorn's out. Condescending Stag v Comma Stag :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:22 pm

:o Better not give a opinion ,i just sit here twiddling my thumbs.
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:05 pm

spanishstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Vice President wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Posts like this usually ,are aimed at all the fifa managers who think they are master technicians its a simple game and i dont pretend to be a tactical genius unlike you but i think G C is better qualified than all on here ,but hey ho the usual posters know best

Good of you not to pretend to be a genius, you’re doing a very good job.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:37 pm

That is spanishstag for you , join in conversation with him and he sticks the boot in .
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:44 pm

spanishstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Vice President wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

So because I played computer games my opinion isn't valid?

You think the top managers just sit there and repeat the formation over and over like Mike Bassett and "4-4-2". Football isn't simple. It's simple in amateur settings because you've not got the players to play anything other than basic football.

GC is better qualified than me. He's got real world managerial experience and playing experience at a higher level than me. By contrast he's also more qualified than yourself so how can you be fed up with "master tactician" if you don't know how detailed our tactics actually are?

At the end of the day Spanish, this is a discussion forum to talk about all aspects of the football club. That includes tactics. If you don't want to participate in the discussion then you don't have to. There's no requirement on the forum to contribute to every thread.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:51 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:That is spanishstag for you , join in conversation with him and he sticks the boot in .

Just scroll on by his posts now.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:41 am

11 minutes of highlights from Preston's website...

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 am

Spanish

After your little outburst I thought I'd check out the definition of condescending just in case I've missed something over the years.

Condescending - demonstrating a patronising superiority.

Do you honestly think I did that? If so we are living in strange times.

"Football forum posters opinions matter", even if you don't agree with them.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum