{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

CJ to Blackpool

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: CJ to Blackpool for £300k?

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:55 pm

I would be looking to keep him if at all possible. He’s a hot and cold player, but on his day capabale of winning a game on his own, and it’s pretty hard to find match winners at this level.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:09 pm

He’s not the only speedy winger about and I’m sure he can be replaced for a lot less than £300k
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:20 pm

I don’t think it’s true Blackpool haven’t been scouting stags players last season.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby gavinbrookes » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:28 pm

I'd be reluctant to let him go for 300k but it depends on who we can bring in for the fee as a replacement. At the beginning of last season, Akinde went from Barnet to Lincoln for approx. 400k. If we could bring in a similar type of player, more befitting Coughlan's style, then it makes sense. Whatever the outcome, I'd like to think we could get closer to 500k for CJ.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bmthstag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:33 pm

daddycool wrote:He’s not the only speedy winger about and I’m sure he can be replaced for a lot less than £300k

Who would you replace him with?
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Prefer to keep him. He went backwards last year but that was probably due to a lack of coaching and changes of manager. Under DF he flourished and could do so under GC
If he is to go must be minimum 500k as he has potential under the right manager
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:54 pm

wardy12345 wrote:I don’t think it’s true Blackpool haven’t been scouting stags players last season.

Their new manager was appointed a week before lockdown, so they won’t have had much chance to scout his targets.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:54 pm

i think he needs to go for his own development.

The crowd are 50/50 with im and you can see how much that affects his performances.

£00k is good money for a player who I believe needs a fresh start. Get a sell on clause and happy days

Onwards and upwards
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:55 pm

One things for sure I can’t think of many good replacements with his speed. Teams definitely worry about him. We would struggle to find similar imo. But 300k........in today’s market Mmm. Tough call for the manager and maybe JR. I’d keep him if money isn’t a worry and it appears it isn’t right now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:56 pm

stag324 wrote:i think he needs to go for his own development.

The crowd are 50/50 with im and you can see how much that affects his performances.

£00k is good money for a player who I believe needs a fresh start. Get a sell on clause and happy days

Onwards and upwards

I honestly believe he could develop under this manager. Trouble is, he ain’t a teenager anymore. Hope he does.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Week in, week out myself and I suppose a great many Stags fans hope to see the exiting footballer CJ Hamilton enter the field of play from the tunnel. Though every week it is hope rather than know. Which is the bit that just tips me over the edge towards take the money.
Yes, he had a poor season last year as did many others but he should have been chomping at the bit, wanting the ball and wanting to make a difference but alas he did not. He had a whole season to prove that you could make a team play for him and get the best from him but didn’t take it.
To me, in a Stags greatest bet line up, I would always put Garry Ford (plus others) in the side in front of him.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:13 pm

I’d be gutted if CJ left, he is the only player that gets me off my feet, that pure pace is hard to find, we would be worse off without him. It sounds like it’s “advanced” and it’s nearly done, I suppose he only has a year left so we’ve decided to cash in on him.

Really don’t want him to leave though.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Past caring TBH. He should be close to the finished article by now. I think consistantly inconsistant is about as good as he's ever going to get.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Sneag wrote:Past caring TBH. He should be close to the finished article by now. I think consistantly inconsistant is about as good as he's ever going to get.

To be fair I think his consistency was a lot better when we he was under good management in Flitcroft & Evans - yes he was prone to an off day, but I wouldn’t have necessarily said his consistency was any worse than your average league 2 footballer those years. Whether Coughlan can replicate that we don’t really know. There’s not many rapid wingers at this level, if any, that are consistent from one week to the next and if they are then they’re snapped up by clubs in higher divisions because they have the one thing you can’t teach and an asset that will worry any defender.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:43 pm

From what I hear, Sinclair will be apart of the squad next season, might have something to do with it?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:01 pm

I think we also need to keep in mind how difficult it is to keep playing in several different positions week in week out like CJ has been asked to. Left wing back, right wing back, left wing, right wing, up front, he’s even been deployed behind two strikers a few times.

Him getting a consistent run in the team on the left hand side (and not on the right) whether that be at left wing or more likely left wing back I think would help him a lot. Having better centre midfielders next season to feed him the ball will also help to unlock his potential I think.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:13 pm

Only flair player we have. Sell him and I can see which way we are going.

Could we replace his speed and skill for £300k ? I very much doubt it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Could get some good players with that kind of money.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Only flair player we have. Sell him and I can see which way we are going.

He really really hasn't got any skill, speed yes
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:30 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Only flair player we have. Sell him and I can see which way we are going.

He’s not a flair player.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:31 pm

He's quick, that's all he's got.

He has no guile and can't pick a pass to save his life. I though during that 3 month purple patch he'd matured into a dangerous player. But it's been that long since he really produced that kind of form week in week out ( which is what separates the wheat from the chaff) that you have to wonder if the good form was a fluke.

I do like his attitude, never moans and he does work hard IMO. But I think we could do better and I think he might benefit from a change.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:38 pm

Sneag wrote:

He's quick, that's all he's got.

He has no guile and can't pick a pass to save his life. I though during that 3 month purple patch he'd matured into a dangerous player. But it's been that long since he really produced that kind of form week in week out ( which is what separates the wheat from the chaff) that you have to wonder if the good form was a fluke.

I do like his attitude, never moans and he does work hard IMO. But I think we could do better and I think he might benefit from a change.

Again, similar to the theme of my above post, this 3 month purple patch you mentioned of course happened to coincide with him actually getting a sustained run in the team in the same position. Being asked to play so many different positions each week, and sometimes in the same game isn’t helping him at all - most players would struggle with this.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:04 pm

Looks like a done deal, will be sad to see CJ leave. Peter O’ Rourke predicting him will be joining Blackpool.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm

london amber stag wrote:Looks like a done deal, will be sad to see CJ leave. Peter O’ Rourke predicting him will be joining Blackpool.

He’s just repeated the original story, no predictions made
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm

It will be impossible to replace CJ.He is the quickest player I have ever seen in a Stags shirt.Somebody mentioned Gary Ford.He was a very average footballer no comparison to CJ.Iknow he blew hot and cold but under the right coaching and care he could still fetch a lot of money.£300 k is a lot but you would need o spend far more than that to replace him.Perhaps if we sign Mclaughlin then perhaps he could be his replacement.Different type of winger but would probably fit in better in the managers style.We shall see.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum