{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

CJ to Blackpool

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: CJ to Blackpool for £300k?

Postby The One » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:52 pm

Dan wrote:
magicstag wrote:We really do need to keep CJ here.
Teams are terrified of him , always marked by two men.
Wingers have and always been inconsistent at every level of football
I am sure the managet will get the best out of him this season

Ryan Giggs.

Wayne Corden Liam Lawrence
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 am

Selling CJ, like sacking DF, would be a mistake. Yes he is not perfect, someone with his pace with the perfect final ball and dead eye finishing would not be playing League 2, but at this level he is about as good as it gets. 200k is an insult, if the club accepts that then they are utter fools.

Sadly I do think this is what we have next season, a hard working, ugly, and maybe an effective team. All is well if they do the business, if they don't, then I'll be playing golf comps and not watching football that makes my eyes bleed. Did that under Cox. The Stags are and always will be a lower league team, so what we must have (for me) is an entertaining, attacking side as we did under Dearden, Parkin, Flitcroft and of course Smith. Greavesie bucked the trend a bit, we were not easy on the eye but were not anti-football and of course we were successful. I am not looking forward to next season under Coughlan, I hope he proves me wrong. The most enjoyable season we have had in 15 years was under DF and yet folk still celebrate his sacking, I don't get it. Yes Cox did a great job getting us out of the Conference, but christ aloud on the whole his reign was a truly miserable experience.

Give me Corden, Hamilton, John Matthews, Dave Caldwell, Gordon Hodgson, Keith Cassells etc ahead of the good honest boys any day of the week Darren ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:21 am

Question;
Would you sell CJ in order to offer Maynard a little more to sign ? Much as I rate Maynard I wouldn’t
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:33 am

Paul Cox style,in our promotion season was highly entertaining, with wingers playing a essential role, imagine CJ instead of a Meikle/Briscoe!

Let’s not forget under Flitcroft the great football, which it was - completely eroded after Christmas, and we become just another L2 lump it up side. I think GC style might be closer to Steve Evans style, very attacking, good football in the final third but getting it to that point quickly. That was a entertaining season too before he left to be fair!

It will be disappointing to get rid for £200k, I wonder if he’s not interested in a new contract? I do think he will fit in and do quite well at Blackpool.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:58 am

Lets move on ... there's more exciting fish in the sea !!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby AlanStag » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:11 am

Those saying don’t sell aren’t taking into account what CJ wants to do himself. He’s been here a long time now and like many players along the way has probably been promised the world by different managers. The fact is he’s still playing in league 2 with us and if he wants to test himself at a higher he has to leave as it’s not guaranteed here.

It’s funny how short people’s memories are, two years ago the same things were said about Danny Rose. Fast forward 6 months to a year most realised we should have cashed in when we had a chance. Come January if we have a uninterested CJ he’s not worth half what we would get now and worth nothing next summer.

I really like CJ and think his ability to beat players is top draw. With a consistent end product he’s a Championship player but he hasn’t nailed it down here so far. £250k with add ons and sell ons is about the best we can hope for.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:59 am

As much as I love CJ and want him to stay, I suppose you have to ask yourself this:

If he had no intention of signing a new contract next summer is it worth cashing in on him and reclaiming some money? Bearing in mid we wasted money on Khan and Cook.

This is what JR will be asking himself anyway.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:31 am

Conker wrote:Paul Cox style,in our promotion season was highly entertaining, with wingers playing a essential role, imagine CJ instead of a Meikle/Briscoe!

Let’s not forget under Flitcroft the great football, which it was - completely eroded after Christmas, and we become just another L2 lump it up side. I think GC style might be closer to Steve Evans style, very attacking, good football in the final third but getting it to that point quickly. That was a entertaining season too before he left to be fair!

It will be disappointing to get rid for £200k, I wonder if he’s not interested in a new contract? I do think he will fit in and do quite well at Blackpool.

Strange how people can have such varied opinions. Paul Cox style was the least enjoyable in over 50 years of watching the stags .
Watched some very poor players play for the Stags and it would be hard to say who were the worst 5 ever . Witnessed a lot more bad managers than good and again it would be hard to say who was the poorest . Watched god knows how many styles of football and I could probably narrow the best down to a couple of managers . But when it comes down to which manager played the least entertaining football then Paul Cox is an outright winner.

I know he was successful and achieved his goal . But it was far from entertaining. You should never walk away from an away game after a win and be discussing just how awful it had been to watch.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:36 am

I don't understand why fans think £200k is an insult and we should ask for more.

He has 1 year left on his contract for a team that finished 21st last season and only scored a few goals and a couple of assists.

The only option is to bag the £200k rather than keep him for another season when he will be out of contact and free to sign for anybody, irrelevant of form.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:11 am

one f in mansfield wrote:
Conker wrote:Paul Cox style,in our promotion season was highly entertaining, with wingers playing a essential role, imagine CJ instead of a Meikle/Briscoe!

Strange how people can have such varied opinions. Paul Cox style was the least enjoyable in over 50 years of watching the stags .
Watched some very poor players play for the Stags and it would be hard to say who were the worst 5 ever . Witnessed a lot more bad managers than good and again it would be hard to say who was the poorest . Watched god knows how many styles of football and I could probably narrow the best down to a couple of managers . But when it comes down to which manager played the least entertaining football then Paul Cox is an outright winner.

I know he was successful and achieved his goal . But it was far from entertaining. You should never walk away from an away game after a win and be discussing just how awful it had been to watch.

Yes, it's very odd. I found the promotion winning Cox side very entertaining, with a variety of tactics in the locker. Mostly based around wide players Meikle and Briscoe, and goals from midfield always in the offing, key to that being Stevenson. I think that our erroneous reputation for being big and physical helped, because apart from Rhead we weren't particularly physical when going forward and teams who set up to counter a physical long ball game were caught out when we played a passing game.
The only annoying thing was Cox's insistence that the keeper was not to roll the ball out, so there were often unnecessary long kicks when a short ball would have looked better.

On CJ, his main problem is his fragile confidence. When he relaxes and keeps his cool he's second to none in the lower leagues. But when he gets nervous he loses most of his ability. Surely that's something that his coach should sort out? A confident CJ is probably our number one asset.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:03 am

The majority of Paul Cox tenure was pretty poor football, but for the specific time I was talking about it was pretty exciting with plenty of goals. Hopefully we can put 7/8 past Barrow next season!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 am

Looks like a done deal
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:07 am

I genuinely think it’s a good fit for him, probably is more likely to find his form again at Blackpool than here now. I seriously hope we have a decent sell on.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:21 am

One of them, he’s been a good lad for us but I think it’s the right time for him to move on, and the right time for us to move him on.

We aren’t a team who get many fees for players tbf and 300k is a decent chunk. If he went on and had a similar season to last for us we would get nothing. If he turns up for Blackpool, let hope we’ve got a 20% sell on something.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:24 am

Right move if he goes. He’s a 1 in 7 player for me, talented but frustrating. A fresh start will be good for him and us.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:28 am

I think a lot of fans will realise what Cj had when he goes. Not going to lie, gutted that he’s leaving but can’t blame Radford for wanting to cash in 200k rather then lose him for nothing. I assume Coughlan would be confident of a finding a replacement.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:30 am

lifestags wrote:I think a lot of fans will realise what Cj had when he goes. Not going to lie, gutted that he’s leaving but can’t blame Radford for wanting to cash in 200k rather then lose him for nothing. I assume Coughlan would be confident of a finding a replacement.

Hasn’t the replacement already been rumoured? Stephen McLaughlin.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:31 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
lifestags wrote:I think a lot of fans will realise what Cj had when he goes. Not going to lie, gutted that he’s leaving but can’t blame Radford for wanting to cash in 200k rather then lose him for nothing. I assume Coughlan would be confident of a finding a replacement.

Hasn’t the replacement already been rumoured? Stephen McLaughlin.

This could be it, I honestly think the difference with the interest this time is DF was adamant CJ shouldn’t go so JR listened, I think GC will be saying “that’s a good offer, we can replace him with etc”
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:55 am

Could be a sign we will be playing 3 centre backs with Mal on the left?

Sad to see him go, pretty much our only attacking threat from midfield.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:56 am

with the right guidance, they've got themselves a gem there in my opinion.

Not going to be replaced easily at all! however... players do move on. should be used to it by now lol
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:07 am

Rob wrote:Could be a sign we will be playing 3 centre backs with Mal on the left?

Sad to see him go, pretty much our only attacking threat from midfield.

David Sharpe said in his interview with D3D4 that GC prefers to play 3-5-2/5-3-2.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:27 am

£200,000 + add ons, post Covid19 for a league 2 player who’s got a year left on his contract Is decent money. Who would turn down a move to a bigger club also?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 am

Conker wrote:

The majority of Paul Cox tenure was pretty poor football, but for the specific time I was talking about it was pretty exciting with plenty of goals. Hopefully we can put 7/8 past Barrow next season!
We won't be putting eight past Barrow next season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:47 am

Signed him for nothing, sold for 300K.... what was everything winging about players that must have a sell on value?

I doubt we will see him hit the heights of a few seasons ago at field mill again, he needs a fresh start. Good business for all involved really
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am

If the reported £300,000 is correct im very happy with this bit of business.

I think a new challenge for him is the only way forward at the minute, hes been a good servant for the club and wont be in the same bracket as Thomas, Palmer and co if he ever comes back to the Mill to face us.

I just hope we re-invest this money on other young talent who can bring in great performances and more money in the future and not 30 year old wingers and strikers !
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum