{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Season restart dates :

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Season restart dates :

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:51 am

chip63 wrote:Over 67 million people in the uk have not got or had the virus.
I try saying this to myself but I'm still very weary of going out and about.
The app to tell you when your near a hot spot is essential for confidence to return.

Over 67 million people have not had a positive test for the virus is a more correct statement.
Don't forget that during the peak of the epidemic in the UK testing wasn't available for most people. The only ones tested were hospital admissions, so all those who suffered at home as per the self-isolation guidance have never been diagnosed and do not show on any official figures. Testing became available for all key workers during May, and then for all members of the population in June.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:16 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
The app to tell you when your near a hot spot is essential for confidence to return.

Over 67 million people have not had a positive test for the virus is a more correct statement.
Don't forget that during the peak of the epidemic in the UK testing wasn't available for most people. The only ones tested were hospital admissions, so all those who suffered at home as per the self-isolation guidance have never been diagnosed and do not show on any official figures. Testing became available for all key workers during May, and then for all members of the population in June.

Providing they displayed symptoms, a recent study has shown that possibly as many as 20% of infected people do not display any symptoms but were carriers. So the wearing of face covering by those people would help all those they come into contact with and as we don't know who those carriers are it would be a good idea foe all to wear face coverings in enclosed spaces.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:01 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

Providing they displayed symptoms, a recent study has shown that possibly as many as 20% of infected people do not display any symptoms but were carriers. So the wearing of face covering by those people would help all those they come into contact with and as we don't know who those carriers are it would be a good idea foe all to wear face coverings in enclosed spaces.
I think what you say about wearing face coverings ows is a sensible measure. The problem is a lot of people mess about with their face coverings. How many do you see walking around with the face masks around their necks before entering a shop. They can easily transfer any germs from the mask onto their hands. Washing hands frequently and often is the still the best measure. Thankfully, since the advent of covid 19 hand washing standards have improved.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

I think what you say about wearing face coverings ows is a sensible measure. The problem is a lot of people mess about with their face coverings. How many do you see walking around with the face masks around their necks before entering a shop. They can easily transfer any germs from the mask onto their hands. Washing hands frequently and often is the still the best measure. Thankfully, since the advent of covid 19 hand washing standards have improved.

Washing hands frequently is without doubt the best measure to avoid transferring the virus to yourself.
If people choose to 'mess about' with their face coverings the person they are putting at risk most is themself. As long as they are wearing it in enclosed spaces and in close contact with other people they are reducing the risk of transmitting to other people if they are carrying the virus. Studies have shown that an infected person not wearing a mask has a 70% chance of passing the virus to a mask wearer. If the infected person is wearing a mask and the other person isn't it drops to 5% risk, and if both are wearing masks the risk drops to just 1.5%. The sooner our government catches up with the majority of the world and pushes for people to wear masks in public places, the quicker we will see infection rates fall and have more chance of a return to normality.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:46 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

Washing hands frequently is without doubt the best measure to avoid transferring the virus to yourself.
If people choose to 'mess about' with their face coverings the person they are putting at risk most is themself. As long as they are wearing it in enclosed spaces and in close contact with other people they are reducing the risk of transmitting to other people if they are carrying the virus. Studies have shown that an infected person not wearing a mask has a 70% chance of passing the virus to a mask wearer. If the infected person is wearing a mask and the other person isn't it drops to 5% risk, and if both are wearing masks the risk drops to just 1.5%. The sooner our government catches up with the majority of the world and pushes for people to wear masks in public places, the quicker we will see infection rates fall and have more chance of a return to normality.
Those statistics makes wearing a mask a no brainer. Michael Gove has said today they won't make it compulsory in shops. They will probably change their minds again in a week or two.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:31 pm

I was the only person in halfords this morning wearing a mask.
None of the staff either.
Did make me feel safer no matter what the percentage of risk.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:58 pm

With the bodge job the Torys have made from the start I’d do the complete opposite to whatever they tell you because you know a few weeks later they’ll change their minds just like they have been doing.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:29 pm

Dan wrote:With the bodge job the Torys have made from the start I’d do the complete opposite to whatever they tell you because you know a few weeks later they’ll change their minds just like they have been doing.

Not perfect by any means but I feel "bodge job" to be a bit unfair.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:37 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:With the bodge job the Torys have made from the start I’d do the complete opposite to whatever they tell you because you know a few weeks later they’ll change their minds just like they have been doing.

Not perfect by any means but I feel "bodge job" to be a bit unfair.

You've got to be joking OWS?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:10 pm

The total incompetent calamity this government is was exacerbated by Bojo's weakness in not sacking Cummings.

After he was allowed to drive to Durham several times, that's it, last straw, credibility evaporated.

#Totalomnishambles
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:49 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:The total incompetent calamity this government is was exacerbated by Bojo's weakness in not sacking Cummings.

After he was allowed to drive to Durham several times, that's it, last straw, credibility evaporated.

#Totalomnishambles

Spot on. And the dithering for THREE WEEKS at the start when he was told to put us on lockdown and of course letting his posh mates go to the Cheltenham Festival which infected thousands more plus letting Madrid fans come to Anfield when Spain was the worst place in the world at the time for infection rates. I could go on....
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:25 pm

the discussion has now turned into politics, so just a reminder please that we have a forum for non-football discussion.

Please keep this forum to football discussion, in particular League Two and related.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:21 am

Just playing Devil's advocate here Martin, but doesn't Govt response to the Coronavirus epidemic have a direct impact on the wellbeing of Mansfield Town Football Club?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 am

Sneag wrote:Just playing Devil's advocate here Martin, but doesn't Govt response to the Coronavirus epidemic have a direct impact on the wellbeing of Mansfield Town Football Club?

I'll quote what one random user said on another thread not long ago:
There was me thinking you could come on Stagsnet and not be subjected to the same dull political discussions you could find in a million and one other places on the internet if you really wanted to discuss it. There’s even a politics board on this forum for crying out loud.

Just talk about the Stags fgs

So in the Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum you can talk about the impact on MTFC, such as season restart, which was why the thread was started, and how many fans might be let into the ground, etc. In the Politics Forum you can discuss your opinion of the competence of the Government's response to the crisis.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby west country stag » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:08 am

Home games for home supporters only .
.. we can use the 3 sides for distancing till normality resumes !
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sneag wrote:Just playing Devil's advocate here Martin, but doesn't Govt response to the Coronavirus epidemic have a direct impact on the wellbeing of Mansfield Town Football Club?

There was me thinking you could come on Stagsnet and not be subjected to the same dull political discussions you could find in a million and one other places on the internet if you really wanted to discuss it. There’s even a politics board on this forum for crying out loud.

So in the Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum you can talk about the impact on MTFC, such as season restart, which was why the thread was started, and how many fans might be let into the ground, etc. In the Politics Forum you can discuss your opinion of the competence of the Government's response to the crisis.

I agree Martin, I am fed up of having to put my surgical mask on to read this thread!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 am

west country stag wrote:Home games for home supporters only .
.. we can use the 3 sides for distancing till normality resumes !

Is this what’s happening wcs? Would home supporters have to have a season ticket due to a home address being linked for any tracing?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:07 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I agree Martin, I am fed up of having to put my surgical mask on to read this thread!

It must be less restrictive than your Thraex helmet?
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:19 pm

from https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... um-2911792

Posh director of football Barry Fry says the EFL, the Premier League and the FA are still holding talks on the matter, although September 12 remains the likeliest opening day date.

Fry said: “It’s incredibly frustrating, but we’ve now been told we won’t hear anything about a start date until July 24. The Premier League and the FA are still talking with the EFL about cups and all sorts.

“It’s driving our manager Darren Ferguson up the wall as he can’t plan properly for next season. It can’t start any later than September 12 or we’ll never get the fixtures in. If we start on September 12 it will be six months between competitive matches for us.”
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:from https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... um-2911792

Posh director of football Barry Fry says the EFL, the Premier League and the FA are still holding talks on the matter, although September 12 remains the likeliest opening day date.

Fry said: “It’s incredibly frustrating, but we’ve now been told we won’t hear anything about a start date until July 24. The Premier League and the FA are still talking with the EFL about cups and all sorts.

“It’s driving our manager Darren Ferguson up the wall as he can’t plan properly for next season. It can’t start any later than September 12 or we’ll never get the fixtures in. If we start on September 12 it will be six months between competitive matches for us.

As well as 40 odd other teams.

Can’t stand Posh, always all about them.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Sneag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

It must be less restrictive than your Thraex helmet?

Definitely, but not as good for when a Roman spear is launched at one’s noggin.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 pm

I fail to see the relevance Roman spears have to Mansfield or league two

;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:49 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I fail to see the relevance Roman spears have to Mansfield or league two

;)

Did you never visit Millmoor back in the day? Spears were the least of your problems.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:53 pm

I once had a rock hard meat n tater pie hit me between the eyes in t'alley that was the killing ground at Millmoor. The nurse as she put the stitches in my forehead in hospital was amazed a pie could do such damage.
I told her the Balti pies at FM are like concrete at ht, so I wasn't surprised.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:34 am

BOJO saying crowds back mid October
The One
Manager