{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Season restart dates :

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Season restart dates :

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:51 am

lifestags wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
lifestags wrote:Think people should try to stop pushing their views on others, There’s no right or wrong answer, if your vulnerable and wary, keep away its up to you. If your young with no health conditions and you feel confident, get yourself back at the mill.

Can’t wait for next season.

PEOPLE LIKE YOUR GOOD SELF ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

You're young maybe, you're fit maybe, have no underlying health problems probably and you're confident so you say, so it's another case of I'm alright Jack sod the bloke who has just brushed past me in the street, bugger any family members you meet after the game. No, it's everyone's responsibility to keep clear of crowds until this awful plague is history or a vaccination is available.

I understand you won't agree with what I say, I understand, like me, you are missing your football but your attitude to the community, if you forgive me, frankly stinks.

Rant over.

So because I’ve said if your young and CONFIDENT of going back then go back and if you're vulnerable and are WARY then stay away that means I’m saying “I’m alright jack” that is honestly laughable, your very quick to tar me with that brush though, almost as if you was waiting for somebody to say something and play this card.

My original point is people need to stop pushing their views on others, it’s down to the persons prerogative if they go or stay away they don’t need to be made to feel bad for it. EVERYONE has had it tough during this lockdown and if your fit and going to the football can bring you a bit of happiness then do it.

I understand where you are coming from but, let's be honest, it's not really about personal choice is it?

It's about responsibility to yourself, your family and the community as a whole. I miss my football but I'm willing to not go and watch it live for the fear of passing it on to others.

Are you aware that 20% of people infected by Covid-19 don't show symptoms and are not aware there are infected but they are still able to spread the virus.

I'm not looking for arguments or playing high and mighty, at the end of the day it WILL
be your choice between yourself or your community.

That's me done with this topic, sorry if you don't like my view.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:38 am

I know you are done OWS, and you have your own proper views of what you might do (and also what you think others should do), but isn't this the sort of thing we have Governments for - to assess risk and then to make the rules?

Once the Government has set the rules then it's up to us to decide if we want to go along or not. Now we can't go to a game and that's fair enough but if they relax the policy then I'd probably go along, but understanding the risks and using common sense (face mask on public transport, washing my hands and keeping a distance from others).

Totally understand your view on the risks and I can see why you personally would not do that, especially if you are older yourself (I'm assuming the clue's in the name) but I think it's for the authorities to set the rules and then for us to think about them and apply them.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm

oldweststander wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
lifestags wrote:Think people should try to stop pushing their views on others, There’s no right or wrong answer, if your vulnerable and wary, keep away its up to you. If your young with no health conditions and you feel confident, get yourself back at the mill.

You're young maybe, you're fit maybe, have no underlying health problems probably and you're confident so you say, so it's another case of I'm alright Jack sod the bloke who has just brushed past me in the street, bugger any family members you meet after the game. No, it's everyone's responsibility to keep clear of crowds until this awful plague is history or a vaccination is available.

Apologise for telling someone to get their responsibilities in order, truth sometimes strikes a cord.

I understand you won't agree with what I say, I understand, like me, you are missing your football but your attitude to the community, if you forgive me, frankly stinks.

Rant over.

You have no idea. You should apologise to the lad.

No, apologise for misunderstanding what he’s been through in this pandemic. He’s messaged me a few times about things that if you understood them would make your post look frankly abusive. You’re way out of order.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:37 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Apologise for telling someone to get their responsibilities in order, truth sometimes strikes a cord.

Rant over.

You have no idea. You should apologise to the lad.

No, apologise for misunderstanding what he’s been through in this pandemic. He’s messaged me a few times about things that if you understood them would make your post look frankly abusive. You’re way out of order.

If the lad, as you call him, has been through the mincer during the pandemic then I am sorry for that but not sorry for criticising his attitude to limiting infection in the community.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 pm

We absolutely have to get back to normal life soon. By that I mean attending football, going back to the office, pub, shops etc. It's an absolute betrayal to the younger generation not to... they are not sitting in houses bought on the cheap and enjoying pensions they can only ever dream of. The economy is vital... and remember the NHS is funded by taxes raised mainly by small businesses.
Those waiting for a vaccine will quite possibly die of other things before a vaccine is found.
Those that don't want to get back to normal life that's fine, we should ensure that you're protected - but please don't lecture the young who now want to start living their lives again.
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby lifestags » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:41 pm

FarnieStag wrote:We absolutely have to get back to normal life soon. By that I mean attending football, going back to the office, pub, shops etc. It's an absolute betrayal to the younger generation not to... they are not sitting in houses bought on the cheap and enjoying pensions they can only ever dream of. The economy is vital... and remember the NHS is funded by taxes raised mainly by small businesses.
Those waiting for a vaccine will quite possibly die of other things before a vaccine is found.
Those that don't want to get back to normal life that's fine, we should ensure that you're protected - but please don't lecture the young who now want to start living their lives again.

Love this.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:01 pm

I agree that if the government deems it safe,after assessing the scientific advice, then fans should be left to make up their own mind whether they attend or not. In no way should a fan be criticised for attending games providing they follow the safety rules. Likewise those fans who chose not to attend should not face criticism.

As an older fan I will need to assess the safety issues before making a decision. If I was a younger fan I probably wouldn't assess the safety as much. However, in either event I would follow the safety rules in and around the stadium to the best of my ability.

The pandemic has had an effect on all our lives, whether young or old. I fully understand why some of the younger element perceive that the measures have been in favour of the old and that their young lives have been put on hold. I also realise that the economy needs to prosper to help the young and future generations. However, if we go right back to the start of this it was all about us making sacrifices to ensure the NHS could function. I don't think the pandemic has gone away. The daily deaths are still in three figures and the R level is still stubbornly just under 1. We should all remember that it won't take much for us to be in the same position of having to protect the NHS once again.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:18 am

Clubs due to vote on season dates. Two options :

29/8 - 9/5
12/9 - 22/5
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:54 pm

Was going to say we should supply free face masks for all attending but it would be better to sell a personalised :mtfc: mask.
Compulsory wearing of masks for entry will be the norm I would think.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby ianb » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:54 pm

chip63 wrote:Was going to say we should supply free face masks for all attending but it would be better to sell a personalised :mtfc: mask.

If, as the WHO seem to suggest, the virus is airborne, masks are a waste of time. It's like trying to stop a mosquito with chicken wire...
ianb
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:05 pm

ianb wrote:
chip63 wrote:Was going to say we should supply free face masks for all attending but it would be better to sell a personalised :mtfc: mask.

If, as the WHO seem to suggest, the virus is airborne, masks are a waste of time. It's like trying to stop a mosquito with chicken wire...

The WHO has done a proper study though that says that face masks are likely to work to reduce the spread of Covid-19.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Open air gigs restart from Saturday. Fans in grounds next month?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:54 pm

A lot will depend on the ability to socially distance.
These big gestures are fine but when was the last time you went to a gig / concert and socially distanced?
I’m at the older end but would definitely attend a game and manage my own risks.
I think face masks are a marketing opportunity!
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:59 pm

yorkstag wrote:A lot will depend on the ability to socially distance.
These big gestures are fine but when was the last time you went to a gig / concert and socially distanced?
I’m at the older end but would definitely attend a game and manage my own risks.
I think face masks are a marketing opportunity!

I saw Bow Wow Wow at Sheffield O2 a few years back and there was about 40 people there. :)

I have Stiff Little Fingers mask on order.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:00 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby HU7stag » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:29 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

So Chesterfield are back then...
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:41 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Supporters will also be allowed to attend community fixtures in small numbers provided they are in groups of two households only, or no larger than six people from different households, and adhere to social distancing measures.

not very big crowds then.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:05 pm

part time pete wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Supporters will also be allowed to attend community fixtures in small numbers provided they are in groups of two households only, or no larger than six people from different households, and adhere to social distancing measures.

not very big crowds then.

Doesn’t this just mean you can go and watch with another person you don’t live with? I don’t think it means the total crowd.

Will mean supporters should be able to attend any friendlies we have against smaller local clubs.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:13 pm

I thought community fixtures are ones where you don't charge admission ( ie local park)
part time pete

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:13 pm

This is not about Stags' games. It's about village cricket and a few people sitting around in the clubhouse.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Yes, sorry just reread my post and realised it didn’t read how I intended, meant it should mean that by the time friendlies are being played, there may be a chance of a small crowd, but on reflection, I was thinking that was a bit further in advance than it actually is, so possibly not.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:01 pm

FarnieStag wrote:We absolutely have to get back to normal life soon. By that I mean attending football, going back to the office, pub, shops etc. It's an absolute betrayal to the younger generation not to... they are not sitting in houses bought on the cheap and enjoying pensions they can only ever dream of. The economy is vital... and remember the NHS is funded by taxes raised mainly by small businesses.

Got to be small steps and see the effects. Came out too quick in Melbourne and are now back in full lockdown. We all want normality back but one wrong move and the last 3 months will be wasted.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:24 pm

Finding this a very interesting thread and there are a lot of varied opinions ranging from people being prepared to take their chances, some being a bit more cautious, to those who won't go out till there is a vaccine or the virus is eliminated. With a few exceptions, these seem to generally be age related with the young having a 'sod it' attitude and the older end of the support being very wary. I fit somewhere in the middle but I won't be rushing back till the number have fallen a lot more than they are now.
My concern is that those with the 'take it on the chin' attitude are going to prolong the recovery from the virus as they will continue to spread it and keep the numbers up.
While we naturally become more risk averse as we get older, I think the young people do need to look at the wider picture and consider the potential impact on others. With the virus being contagious in pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic cases it means it is easily spread by people who don't even now they are carrying the diseases, This means you could be infecting people for between 4 and 14 days without even knowing you are infected yourself. While you may be young, fit and healthy (I will come to that later), how would you feel if you found out you were responsible for passing it on to your grandparents, parents, work colleagues, or even your mate who is diabetic or asthmatic ?
I don't know the current figures, but a couple of weeks ago they were saying that approximately 1 in every 2,000 people was currently infected. This means that if there was a match with a 25-30% crowd capacity allowed, the chances are that at least one person in that crowd would be carrying the virus. How many people would they infect during the 2 hours in the ground ? 10 ? 20 ? 30 ? And how many people would then be infected by those ? A league 2 football match could easily be the cause of a localised outbreak leading to a further lockdown.
Now back to the young, fit and healthy part of it. Yes it is widely accepted that the majority of fatalities and serious cases of infection are older or have pre-existing conditions but there are no guarantees that you won't be one of the unlucky ones. Even if you survive the illness, at what cost ? Somebody flippantly mentioned earlier in this thread that he gets out of breath walking from the pub to the ground. That may be so, but there is a big difference between being a bit wheezy after walking a mile or so, and having to sit down halfway up the stairs. And this is not just when you have the virus, people are still in this condition 3 months after 'recovery', and these are not the old people that have been on ventilators, these are young people in their 20s who had a 'mild' case and stayed at home. Nobody yet knows the long term damage this virus is doing to peoples lungs and internal organs. Do you really want to live the rest of your life like that just to watch a football match ? Add to that the fact the the virus is also affecting some people (including young people) neurologically, leaving them with brain conditions which they may never fully recover from.
If after reading this you still think you are prepared to take that risk, then that would be fine if the only person likely to be affected was yourself. I used to race stockcars in my 20s and early 30s which was dangerous but I accepted that risk and the only person it would impact on was me. But this is not a choice you are making just for yourself, as the impact on others is also your responsibility. We have never been in this position in our lifetimes, and we need to stick together to beat this virus and consider other people as well as ourselves.
Yes we need to get back to normal life as soon as possible, but the best way to do that is to be as cautious as we can be until the numbers have dropped a lot more. Now is not the time to be selfish and just think of yourself.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 pm

Great post Dave but there are too many selfish people in this country sadly. You only have to look at the toilet roll hoarders from early on to those who are too selfish to follow an arrow in the local supermarket. It’s the old “I’m alright Jack” mentality that sadly you won’t change as its ingrained in their DNA.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:58 pm

This report is worth a read and suggests Government isn’t serious about getting the rate down to zero, like Northern Ireland and Scotland have nearly done.

https://www.independentsage.org/wp-cont ... copy-1.pdf
part time pete

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum