{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I’m more confident with GC than I ever was with JD and even DF.

Based on what ? DF got us to fourth from top, GC got us fourth from bottom.


Interesting comparison to be done.

DF first 12 games as manager (a side in the play-offs and challenging for autos) - 12pts
GC first 12 games as manager (suffering in the bottom third of the league) - 10pts

Not too much difference and given the quality of players at their disposal you would probably say GC had the better start, although neither covered themselves in glory

DF final 12 games (having had two transfer windows and a full pre-season, having done brilliantly in the first half of the season) - 15pts
GC final 12 games (no pre-season, offloading players who didn’t want to be here) - 14pts

Again, not too much difference here.

GC 19 games taken charge of Bristol Rovers after a full pre-season (lower half budget for the league) - 34pts
DF 19 games taken charge of us in 18/19 season after a full pre-season (at the very least top 6 budget, probably higher) - 32pts

GC with a far better job here given respective expectations.

There are two big differences I suppose. The first is that Rovers were performing without expectation, so we’re able to go under the radar and utilise as underdog mentality. There was no expectation on them to play pretty football so no huge pressure from fans against style of play etc. Flitcroft had to deal with project promotion and smash the league and expectation of fans. Whilst our expectations as fans may be a little lower this season, fans from other clubs have already started the ‘moneybags Mansfield’ stuff given our early activity in the market.

The other difference is that GC has no track record of achievement, whereas Flitcroft had been there and done it before.
Your last paragraph is so relevant.

I just don't understand what cassellswasmagic is basing his optimism on.



Nor do I - but it’s equally strange the comparison you made, despite knowing the situation GC came in to the club.
Did GC improve us that much ? Did any of the January signings make a difference? What are the current expectations based on?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:58 pm

I thought performances improved as fitness improved.

As for the January signings, thought it was explained at the time, the manager needed more bodies.
White couldn't shake of his ankle injury, Bishop his sore ankle too., Gordon had a serious back injury, Davies no show, Graham mysteriously still injured. What more could the manager do.

Oh yes, and the little matter re Cook not wanting to play GC's pressing game and going to Tranmere where he did zilch.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3366
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:57 pm

This inane thread.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 14399
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:35 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Did GC improve us that much ? Did any of the January signings make a difference? What are the current expectations based on?


Andy, did your mate Flitcroft improve us when he first came in? Answer is no, he took us from a dead cert play off spot (& potential automatic promotion) to 8th in his first 12 games! You need to let it go mate as it's becoming tiresome. How about backing the current manager & seeing where he can take us? I bet he does better than Flitcroft if he gets the same backing from everyone.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7536
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Did GC improve us that much ? Did any of the January signings make a difference? What are the current expectations based on?


Andy, did your mate Flitcroft improve us when he first came in? Answer is no, he took us from a dead cert play off spot (& potential automatic promotion) to 8th in his first 12 games! You need to let it go mate as it's becoming tiresome. How about backing the current manager & seeing where he can take us? I bet he does better than Flitcroft if he gets the same backing from everyone.


That good Rochdale sacked him and Hill.Andy you are obsessed with DF let it go
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11347
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:28 am

If you go back to my original reply to cassellswasmagic, you will see my comment was about confidence in GC.

You are assuming that I'm not backing GC and for some reason that I don't want him to do well. Which is a wrong assumption.

All I'm saying is, based on CG time with us so far, how can we feel more confident in his ability, than any of the managers who went before.


So far no one has come up with a convincing answer.

We finished fourth from bottom this season. The football played was awful (all season).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Manager

Postby The One » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:35 am

Amber Andy wrote:If you go back to my original reply to cassellswasmagic, you will see my comment was about confidence in GC.

You are assuming that I'm not backing GC and for some reason that I don't want him to do well. Which is a wrong assumption.

All I'm saying is, based on CG time with us so far, how can we feel more confident in his ability, than any of the managers who went before.


So far no one has come up with a convincing answer.

We finished fourth from bottom this season. The football played was awful (all season).


Andy he inherited Dempsters team and mindset, that a clue.
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11347
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:17 am

The One wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:If you go back to my original reply to cassellswasmagic, you will see my comment was about confidence in GC.

You are assuming that I'm not backing GC and for some reason that I don't want him to do well. Which is a wrong assumption.

All I'm saying is, based on CG time with us so far, how can we feel more confident in his ability, than any of the managers who went before.


So far no one has come up with a convincing answer.

We finished fourth from bottom this season. The football played was awful (all season).


Andy he inherited Dempsters team and mindset, that a clue.
He did. He also had time and a transfer window to show signs of improvement.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am

bellwhiff wrote:This inane thread.


It took till end of June, but at last I agree with you Belly :P

Recounting the whole DF saga will never change folks opinions. Time to concentrate on the current Gaffer and move on
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:40 am

We were still raspberry, but we definitely improved slightly under GC. He did absolutely nothing special, but he did what was needed considering the circumstances.

Flitcroft debate should be dead and buried now, same goes to Evans and Dempster.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2881
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: m1cksut, MTFCMusings, NorthLondonStag and 35 guests