{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Alex MacDonald interview

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Alex MacDonald interview

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:43 am

He may well be top of the passing stats (not checked), but when you look at our team last season then seriously who else would be?

He was better than Bishop and Tomlinson in the middle so no surprise he topped the pair of them. Strikers often don’t have the ball enough to top passing stats, and our defenders often opted to play it long.

For me that highlights the problem for us, when a robust, hardworking type midfielder who gives it away a lot, whilst not contributing with assists still has the best pass rate in the team it tells me we are void of natural quality on the ball throughout the squad - and that proved to be the case last season without any doubt. Particularly in midfield, our options were incredibly limited when it came to picking a trio that could keep the ball and set the tempo and it’s largely why we finished 21st.

I’ve nothing against Macdonald personally, gave his all and I’d have kept him over Tomlinson say if it was a toss up between the two, but he was probably on quite big money and out of contract so it was the right call to move him on in my opinion.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:46 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:The issue with him for me was, that despite working incredibly hard for every second he was on the pitch, his charging around unsettled and unbalanced the midfield.
His positional discipline was not good and it put pressure on the other players which included a 37 year old Neal Bishop and other midfielders who were often unable to backfill.

Nail on the head George, we could see that with our own eyes and unfortunately Bradders stats don't show this.
Once again stats tell a little bit of the story.

If you want to work something out Bradders, try doing the win ratio with McDonald in the side as we had the best run of results when he was injured
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:11 am

If you look at Alex MacDonald's stats for the last two seasons after signing his new contract then 42(1) league appearances and 2 goals is a very disappointing return for a big earner. I would guess £3,000-£3,500 per week. He was unlucky getting injured in 2018-2019 after the 1-1 draw at Cambridge on 22nd September 2018. He did not play again until he came on as a sub in that terrible performance at Notts County on 20th Feb 2019. He then returned to the team on 12th March in the 0-0 draw at Crawley. He also started in the 4-1 win at Exeter City, the 1-0 home win against Cambridge and the 1-1 draw at Northampton. He was then on the bench for the for the next 3 games before starting at right wing back against MK Dons. He started in both play off games against Newport County (W2 D4 L1).

2018-2019: P15 W4 D9 L2
2019-2020: P27 W7 D8 L12
Total: P42 W11 D17 L14

Could a bit more creativity and better finishing from midfield have turned those draws into wins?
"Fine margins" - Paul Cox/Adam Murray etc

You can see why GC thought he could get better value for money elsewhere. Alex is also 30 and so one of the older players in the squad. We will see if we get better value for money from a 34 year old James Perch and a 28 year old Ollie Clarke although I don't think those signings would have come cheap.

League Appearances
2016-2017 13(5) 1 Goal
2017-2018 40(1) 3 Goals
2018-2019 15(8) 1 Goal
2019-2020 27(2) 1 Goal
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:19 pm

I always found McDonald to be a smashing lad but the antidote to success on the pitch.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Really enthusiastic player and gave his all and some very good games and would like to have seen him stay for 1more season.
Good luck Macca
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:51 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:The issue with him for me was, that despite working incredibly hard for every second he was on the pitch, his charging around unsettled and unbalanced the midfield.
His positional discipline was not good and it put pressure on the other players which included a 37 year old Neal Bishop and other midfielders who were often unable to backfill.

Nail on the head George, we could see that with our own eyes and unfortunately Bradders stats don't show this.
Once again stats tell a little bit of the story.

If you want to work something out Bradders, try doing the win ratio with McDonald in the side as we had the best run of results when he was injured

I was simply making a point about his passing, which was not poor as some were making out. And I don't suppose for a minute that he would have "charged" about the pitch if the manager had told him not to. The fact that he was picked for so many games says something about what qualified and experienced coaches thought about his worth to the side. They may not have been the perfect football coaches, but to infer that they didn't notice what he was doing seems a bit ludicrous.
I think that it just comes down to a certain type of play not being to some people's liking, so we'll never agree. I notice that over the decades, the type of hard working and unspectacular midfielder that we always need at this level often seems to divide the fans. Perhaps it started with Gary Mills?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Those two seasons pushing for promotion was some of the best football we had seen at the fieldmill for some years.

Good luck macca :)
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:14 pm

KJW STAG wrote:Those two seasons pushing for promotion was some of the best football we had seen at the fieldmill for some years. Good luck macca :)

Was the best football that we played under DF from 30th October 2018 (Crewe away) to 26th January 2019 (Tranmere home)? (P15 W10 D3 L2)

Alex MacDonald did not play in those games. He did play very well the previous season under Steve Evans.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Good luck Alex. Hope you're successful in Kent.

His best football was under Steve Evans. For what it's worth I liked Macca and what he brought to the side, and I liked SE as our manager.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:55 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Good luck Alex. Hope you're successful in Kent.

His best football was under Steve Evans. For what it's worth I liked Macca and what he brought to the side, and I liked SE as our manager.

I liked Macca and assumed the decision to release him was financial
I liked the thought of Steve Evans as our manager - in reality he was duplicitous. In then end he didn’t like us enough.
Gone now , glad he has a club but all I’m concerned about is MTFC
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:45 pm

I’d still like to know what he did bring to the side? Over paid and under performing. How many goals did he score or have a hand in? Probably a very low percentage. A keen trier, lots of running around like a headless chicken but little end product. Thank God he’s off the payroll!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 pm

for the reported £3.5k a week he was on hes under acheived !!!
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:42 pm

3.5 k is just insane.. Khan was prob on the same too.. Jeez these agents could sell sand to the Arabs.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:40 pm

Macca around 3k, Khan around 2k I would guess.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:56 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Macca around 3k, Khan around 2k I would guess.

Either way, both players were average imo and I’m glad we’ve offloaded those two.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:11 pm

I reckon Khan will do really well at Tranmere.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Conker wrote:I reckon Khan will do really well at Tranmere.

Have you seen their pitch? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:12 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Have you seen Khan play? :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:14 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Have you seen Khan play? :lol:

Come to think of it.... not really :lol: apart from his first game where he scored 2 against Newport
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:08 pm

I hated Evans and never rated MacDonald :lol:

I do wish him well though, Macca that is, not Evans!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:28 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Been totally relaid and they say best pitch in division now. :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Rob wrote:

Really? You never said :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:55 am

Dan wrote:
Rob wrote:

Yeah I need to get over it, as you do with DF Dan ;) :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:16 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:
Rob wrote:

Yeah I need to get over it, as you do with DF Dan ;) :lol:

:lol: :lol: touche!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum