{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Maynard

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Maynard

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 26, 2020 7:34 pm

diablo wrote:
my name is jonas wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
my name is jonas wrote:Can’t say I’d miss him to be honest. Came on big money with a big reputation and bar one or two games hasn’t really done much for me.

Second highest goalscorer in the league in a crap team and 'hasnt done much for you'? :lol:

Hard to please then

Not that I’m hard to please but having seen him week in week out and on the amount he’s reported to be on I think we can find better value for sure.

He is experienced and nearing the end of his career , I think he has one more Season left so it might as well be with us unless he gets a better offer elsewhere...but I would not label him as being prolific, he misses far too many "one on ones" which have cost us points..

The defence dropped a fair few clangers as well which dropped us points. If they'd have helped maynard out, we could've afforded some of those misses. He isn't going to score every one on one though, let's be realistic.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Who else can we get who’s better ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 pm

I rate Maynard as a player but am not sure GC's style is the best for him and can see him leaving. Whilst acknowledging Nicky's contribution this year, I don't think he has performed as well as some seem to think. Bare statistics show he has a good record but he has scored two hat tricks in that total so 6 of his goals have come in only 2 matches.

If the goals were spread over more matches I think it would show a more balanced and useful striker as perverse as that probably sounds. I would rather have a striker who scores in more matches than one who is prolific in a few as you can only get 3 points in any game no matter how many you win by.

I do hope he stays though.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Wed May 27, 2020 7:06 am

I do t think he did a bad job in that team who hardly
created any chances during matches.

To criticise a striker who would have scored a lot more
goals if he had received some help from others is, quite
frankly, bonkers.

Hope he stays
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stag324 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am

Strikers are a premium and can dictate their terms.

Loyalty is hard to find in one and judging by Maynards decision to join us last year over his mates down at Plymouth underlines this.

Money talks and will be one of the few areas this will still apply to
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 am

Not just money, spoke to Nicky, he wanted to travel back home for his lad. So Plymouth was never an option, Salford could be a big problem though.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:04 am

Matt Green missed loads of 1 on 1s in the conference. Should we not have signed him?

Try not to get so fixated on what players don't do and look at what they actually do do.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 27, 2020 9:06 am

gazza1988 wrote:Matt Green missed loads of 1 on 1s in the conference. Should we not have signed him?

Try not to get so fixated on what players don't do and look at what they actually do do.

I can't believe he's being criticised for scoring two hat tricks, then again it is stagsnet :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed May 27, 2020 9:32 am

Are we really saying one of the best strikers in league 2 isn’t that good, or isn’t suited to our style?
Only on here!!! :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 27, 2020 9:41 am

A quality player, head and shoulders above the rest of our attackers, brought down by the ineptitude of Dempster and the other players who refused to play or try during last season.

GC will know what a good player looks like when he sees it. He'll want Nicky to stay, as do I.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 am

I think all sane football fans want him to stop!
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Wed May 27, 2020 12:52 pm

I want him to say but understand the criticisms. There were a lot games (Crewe being the worst, Plymouth, Swindon, Macclesfield to names others) where we lost games/dropped points because of Maynard's inability to finish 1 on 1 when we were on top.

I can't disagree with his record and he's a top poacher at league 2 level and carries the ball well. It's difficult to have him in the team as the main goal threat but not have 1 on 1 chances fall to him so is a bit of a conundrum.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 pm

AlanStag wrote:I want him to say but understand the criticisms. There were a lot games (Crewe being the worst, Plymouth, Swindon, Macclesfield to names others) where we lost games/dropped points because of Maynard's inability to finish 1 on 1 when we were on top.

I can't disagree with his record and he's a top poacher at league 2 level and carries the ball well. It's difficult to have him in the team as the main goal threat but not have 1 on 1 chances fall to him so is a bit of a conundrum.

I think people forget that the goalkeepers job is to keep the ball out of the net. When a striker is through on goal you make yourself as big as possible to limit a goalscoring opportunity. it's 1v1, how does this automatically mean that the striker has a huge advantage? he has a slight one because he has possession but the keeper has the advantage of being able to use his hands. there's not as big an advantage as people make out.

Besides, Maynard had 66 attempts on goal and 41 on target for a 62% shots on target percentage. 2 to Eion Doyle who had a 63% shots on target percentage. So would we not take Doyle, if offered?

Maynard scored a goal every 178 minutes. thats once every 2 games and works out at 23 goals. That's fine by me.

Even Danny Rose with his 11 goals is a decent return. A goal every 215 minutes which over a season is 19 goals. 42 goals from your strikers.

There is no issue at all from our strikeforce, our issue is a p-poor pre-season meant our engine room was running on fumes since August. This meant teams could score more goals because we could barely keep up. It's easy to blame the strikers for a game where they didn't score but some of our defending and concentration was laughable.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed May 27, 2020 2:27 pm

If Maynard is not suited to GC's style, which I doubt very much, why would we be in negotiations to keep him?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 27, 2020 3:09 pm

oldweststander wrote:If Maynard is not suited to GC's style, which I doubt very much, why would we be in negotiations to keep him?

A striker that scores goals will suit most managers im sure. Just more bull spread
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
AlanStag wrote:I want him to say but understand the criticisms. There were a lot games (Crewe being the worst, Plymouth, Swindon, Macclesfield to names others) where we lost games/dropped points because of Maynard's inability to finish 1 on 1 when we were on top.

I think people forget that the goalkeepers job is to keep the ball out of the net. When a striker is through on goal you make yourself as big as possible to limit a goalscoring opportunity. it's 1v1, how does this automatically mean that the striker has a huge advantage? he has a slight one because he has possession but the keeper has the advantage of being able to use his hands. there's not as big an advantage as people make out.

Besides, Maynard had 66 attempts on goal and 41 on target for a 62% shots on target percentage. 2 to Eion Doyle who had a 63% shots on target percentage. So would we not take Doyle, if offered?

Maynard scored a goal every 178 minutes. thats once every 2 games and works out at 23 goals. That's fine by me.

Even Danny Rose with his 11 goals is a decent return. A goal every 215 minutes which over a season is 19 goals. 42 goals from your strikers.

There is no issue at all from our strikeforce, our issue is a p-poor pre-season meant our engine room was running on fumes since August. This meant teams could score more goals because we could barely keep up. It's easy to blame the strikers for a game where they didn't score but some of our defending and concentration was laughable.

I didn’t argue with his record as I said...

You can put all the raw stats together you like but if you watch the quality of chances he had then you’d expect a decent striker to put more away. You can have a 100% shot on target if you just have 1 shot a game straight at the keeper.

We had other bigger issues I agree such as a vastly overrated defence. But this thread is about Maynard and whether he stays or not.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:44 pm

If its a quality chance then it takes quality defending/keeping to keep it out. That's what it all boils down to.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 am

Obviously Maynard is prone to missing good chances, and regularly frustrates with poor finishing. I don't buy that he didn't get the service, either. But that said, he's clearly one of the best lower league strikers and has a good record with us. If he was a clinical finisher with almost every decent chance, he'd be playing at a higher level and be way outside our budget. So I'm more than happy with his contribution.
I think that to get a better striker relies on a lot of luck, on our budget. You need a young player who suddenly "clicks" unexpectedly, or an older one who just happens to fit perfectly with the team. Neither will have an amazing recent record, or else a bigger club will have already signed them.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu May 28, 2020 5:42 pm

gazza1988 wrote:If its a quality chance then it takes quality defending/keeping to keep it out. That's what it all boils down to.

Gazza football is played on grass not on paper or on a calculator....stop blinding people with facts :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu May 28, 2020 7:11 pm

adamstag wrote:I think all sane football fans want him to stop!

Definitely. Far too many Stags fans however prefer ‘grafters’ who run around loads however.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu May 28, 2020 7:11 pm

Maynards Vision and anticipation of play was miles ahead of the rest of the squad you could see that nearly every game, his overall play and touch was by far the best at the club last season. It would be bonkers not to try to re-sign him this season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri May 29, 2020 4:16 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Maynards Vision and anticipation of play was miles ahead of the rest of the squad you could see that nearly every game, his overall play and touch was by far the best at the club last season. It would be bonkers not to try to re-sign him this season

Sometimes Maynard being on a different level can make him look out of sync’. For instance he makes very good runs and the pass from midfield is either too late or never comes. We need someone in midfield that can unlock the defence. When you watch the vintage highlights you notice the difference. For some reason the simple through pass is lacking now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Fri May 29, 2020 4:34 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Maynards Vision and anticipation of play was miles ahead of the rest of the squad you could see that nearly every game, his overall play and touch was by far the best at the club last season. It would be bonkers not to try to re-sign him this season

Sometimes Maynard being on a different level can make him look out of sync’. For instance he makes very good runs and the pass from midfield is either too late or never comes. We need someone in midfield that can unlock the defence. When you watch the vintage highlights you notice the difference. For some reason the simple through pass is lacking now.

The vintage highlights show how the product ( at our level) has diminished over time . Players are fitter today but you need a footballing brain .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri May 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

The vintage highlights show how the product ( at our level) has diminished over time . Players are fitter today but you need a footballing brain .

Not really a fair comparison. Were seeing the best of the last 30-40 years in in a handful of 1 to 2 minute highlights.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat May 30, 2020 8:23 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
Not really a fair comparison. Were seeing the best of the last 30-40 years in in a handful of 1 to 2 minute highlights.

Plus quite a large number of games, and increasing, of the full 90 minutes of old games.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum