{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 13, 2020 4:09 pm



Mansfield Town is delighted to announce the appointment of former Wigan Athletic chairman David Sharpe as its new director of football. The 29-year-old will further enhance the club’s football structure, working closely with manager Graham Coughlan and his staff.

David Sharpe is Dave Whelan's grandson and former Chairman of Wigan Athletic.

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020 ... -football/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6668
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Sedgwick » Wed May 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Brilliant appointment.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2428
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Dp1976 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:18 pm

Very good appointment maybe with one eye on succession planning
Dp1976
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 13, 2020 4:20 pm

I assume he will be immediately furloughed then ..?..
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3486
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Amberheart » Wed May 13, 2020 4:21 pm

Good appointment, welcome to MTFC David
We dream the same dream,we want the same thing
User avatar
Amberheart
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3096
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed May 13, 2020 4:21 pm

:D “David - Go Out and find me some rich Arabs” maybe?
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8283
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Edwinstowe

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Sammythestag » Wed May 13, 2020 4:23 pm

Please excuse my naivety, but why is this a positive appointment? I thought Wigan fans took a strong disliking to him?
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 13, 2020 4:23 pm

He should have a few bob if he's Dave Whelan's grandson. I wonder if he will end up becoming a part owner of the club.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6668
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

New Director of Football

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 13, 2020 4:24 pm

User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby BH_Stag » Wed May 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Happy with that
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Sammythestag wrote:Please excuse my naivety, but why is this a positive appointment? I thought Wigan fans took a strong disliking to him?

When he took over at Wigan, he was the bloke who took Paul Cook from Portsmouth, which then led to a promotion.
The only stick he got was as a consequence of Wigan fans thinking they shouldn't be down the bottom end of the championship.... Which in reality is idiotic given their crowds, and the money they have to compete with.... Which used to be funded by his Grandfather but wasn't anymore.
Heard a good interview with him once somewhere, think it was on TalkSport. He seemed to definitely have his head screwed on.
User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 pm

In terms of the football structure, it will be interesting to see how it all works.

Andy Burgess is still listed as a head of recruitment (which was John Dempster's mate, appointed to help him out)

GC wanted Joe Dunne as they have previous success together, although at the time Glover was still here for a while and was never sacked off, he left on his own accord...so at one point we had two coaches/assistant managers

... and now we have Sharpe thrown into the mix who I would expect is there to make sure the footballing side of things won't continue to nosedive like it has done without the regular presence of the Radford's being there... On the face of it it looks as though this appointment will be directly from them maybe? GC seems pretty old school, and old school managers don't tend to like the continental model of a Director of Football.
However something needed to be done so there is regular scrutiny on the footballing side of things, too many were acting like they had a free ride last season without being under the Radford's watchful eye.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Wed May 13, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Sammythestag » Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
Sammythestag wrote:Please excuse my naivety, but why is this a positive appointment? I thought Wigan fans took a strong disliking to him?

When he took over at Wigan, he was the bloke who took Paul Cook from Portsmouth, which then led to a promotion.
The only stick he got was as a consequence of Wigan fans thinking they shouldn't be down the bottom end of the championship.... Which in reality is idiotic given their crowds, and the money they have to compete with.... Which used to be funded by his Grandfather but wasn't anymore.
Heard a good interview with him once somewhere, think it was on TalkSport. He seemed to definitely have his head screwed on.


Ok thanks for that, I'm sure John knows what hes doing, brilliant to have an ambitious young character on board and hopefully he has some good contacts!
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby yorkstag » Wed May 13, 2020 4:35 pm

Seems like a great appointment

Not sure what’s planned but will be v surprised if this is not part of a bigger picture
yorkstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 13, 2020 4:44 pm

Sammythestag wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Sammythestag wrote:Please excuse my naivety, but why is this a positive appointment? I thought Wigan fans took a strong disliking to him?

When he took over at Wigan, he was the bloke who took Paul Cook from Portsmouth, which then led to a promotion.
The only stick he got was as a consequence of Wigan fans thinking they shouldn't be down the bottom end of the championship.... Which in reality is idiotic given their crowds, and the money they have to compete with.... Which used to be funded by his Grandfather but wasn't anymore.
Heard a good interview with him once somewhere, think it was on TalkSport. He seemed to definitely have his head screwed on.


Ok thanks for that, I'm sure John knows what hes doing, brilliant to have an ambitious young character on board and hopefully he has some good contacts!

It was TalkSport he was on.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/footba ... lub-194513

Doubt the whole interview will be available with Jim White anymore, but he definitely seemed like an intelligent lad who had to learn on the job, but got a lot more right than wrong.
User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2354
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 13, 2020 4:52 pm

welcome to the stags David!

the real question is how long will it take for those on here to blame Sharpe if we're not doing well on the pitch? :lol: didn't take long before Greg Abbott was being questioned and blamed!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5839
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 13, 2020 4:56 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:welcome to the stags David!

the real question is how long will it take for those on here to blame Sharpe if we're not doing well on the pitch? :lol: didn't take long before Greg Abbott was being questioned and blamed!

It will be a long time Bobby. I can't see a ball being kicked for months.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6318
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby BH_Stag » Wed May 13, 2020 4:59 pm

I think it’s a positive move.

Since the Radfords moved to Portugal things have started to unravel and this year has been a shambles. I think this appointment will help keep standards high throughout the club in their absence.

I would think that despite being young he’ll have some good contacts, and is the kind of character that will be desperate to get it right from what I’ve heard of him in the past.

I also see this as a signal of intent for when we can eventually get going for next season.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 13, 2020 5:21 pm

BH_Stag wrote:I think it’s a positive move.

Since the Radfords moved to Portugal things have started to unravel and this year has been a shambles. I think this appointment will help keep standards high throughout the club in their absence.

I would think that despite being young he’ll have some good contacts, and is the kind of character that will be desperate to get it right from what I’ve heard of him in the past.

I also see this as a signal of intent for when we can eventually get going for next season.


This. There’s a football brain in the club running it on a day to day basis.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 14307
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby wardy12345 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:31 pm

What is a director of football supposed to do.
wardy12345
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 9:27 am

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:32 pm

So long as everyone knows their jobs then I don't see it being an issue.

We've all heard the horror stories of a DOF signing players the manager doesn't want and managers wanting a certain kind of player and it all going wrong so blame each other.

In all honesty though I can see this appointment being nothing more than John and Carolyn's representative with they are out of the country. He's ran a club before. Perhaps he's even a new investor? JR and CR still own the club but give David trust with their money.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6422
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Jimstag » Wed May 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Seems a good appointment given the Radfords are in Portugal more often, hindsight will tell.

Only the timing feels odd given what’s going on in the world but hopefully a sign that we’ll survive and hopefully flourish after this awful period.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby my name is jonas » Wed May 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a bit of a Chief Executive but without the title.

Like everyone says and knows, things haven’t been the same since the Radfords moved to Portugal.
my name is jonas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 am

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:49 pm

Jimstag wrote:Seems a good appointment given the Radfords are in Portugal more often, hindsight will tell.

Only the timing feels odd given what’s going on in the world but hopefully a sign that we’ll survive and hopefully flourish after this awful period.


I think the timing makes sense. I think this has been on the cards for a while but then the "lockdown" happened. Restrictions on movement. Today those measures were relaxed to a stage where contracts could be signed. They've had the whole lockdown to iron out the details. All they needed to do was for everyone to sign.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6422
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 13, 2020 5:58 pm

my name is jonas wrote:Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a bit of a Chief Executive but without the title.

Like everyone says and knows, things haven’t been the same since the Radfords moved to Portugal.



I would think he is CEO in all but job title...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3486
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests