{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Update - Retain list now out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Update - Retain list now out

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Given Benning’s post on Instagram, it seems unlikely that it was our choice to let Pearce leave, unless Mal has flown is openly flying in the face of the manager.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kwambo » Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 pm

What has he put. Not on instagram
kwambo
First Team
First Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm

Gutted we've let Pearce go, Be a struggle to find a better centre back at this level IMO
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Paraphrasing, that’s he sad to see KP leave after 5 years at the club together, and that he’s one of the best centre backs on the league. Don’t think you would say the last bit if it was the clubs decision, as it implies the club have made the wrong decision.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Mon May 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Not fussed about any players leaving, every single one of them have had their chance to push us to promotion and let us down for the past 3 seasons. I think sentiment is clouding people's views of the group we had, if the senior pros had enough about them we'd be playing in league 1 by now. If we keep going with the same core then it will be the same results unfortunately.

Some will go onto have decent careers at other clubs individually in a different group of players, but the collective team we had just didn't have it in them. We need a team pulling in the same direction and who will stand up when counted and when it matters.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 18, 2020 6:19 pm

AlanStag wrote:Not fussed about any players leaving, every single one of them have had their chance to push us to promotion and let us down for the past 3 seasons. I think sentiment is clouding people's views of the group we had, if the senior pros had enough about them we'd be playing in league 1 by now. If we keep going with the same core then it will be the same results unfortunately.

Some will go onto have decent careers at other clubs individually in a different group of players, but the collective team we had just didn't have it in them. We need a team pulling in the same direction and who will stand up when counted and when it matters.

Some big generalisations here Alan, you can’t tar a single player with the failures of a team. Is Harry Kane a failure because Spurs haven’t won a trophy?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 18, 2020 6:47 pm

kwambo wrote:What has he put. Not on instagram

Mal Benning on instagram:
mal_1632
Sad to see some good friends leave, but especially this guy right here , being in a car with him for 5 years and playing together since we both came to the club 5 years ago. Had some great memories for the stags, and for me one of the best CB in the league no doubt. Been a pleasure skip
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Billy the fish » Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

mal_1632
Sad to see some good friends leave, but especially this guy right here , being in a car with him for 5 years and playing together since we both came to the club 5 years ago. Had some great memories for the stags, and for me one of the best CB in the league no doubt. Been a pleasure skip

Pearce is 31 next and been a great servant to the club but we have to trust GC in his judgement and give thanks to all the players leaving and wish them well in their careers .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Mon May 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Hope our collective faith in GC is well founded.

He did similiar at Bristol Rovers - several went in Summer 2019 and replaced by less free transfers in. No improvement in their table position when he left. At least he has the support of David Sharpe (more support than was given to JD). So far we have gone backwards.

Assuming normal start in August we must expect at least a 10th position at Christmas.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon May 18, 2020 7:19 pm

Jimstag wrote:I expected more to go given every other club seems to be clearing out just to survive, probably another indication of Radford’s commitment to us.

Pearce is the one that sticks out for me, I’ve no doubt he’ll go and do well elsewhere. Likewise with White but I’m guessing he’s on good wages so that may be the motivation.

We’re committed to Cook given the contract length, if he comes back and gives his all he could do a good job but like many I’d expect him to be off to somewhere like Tranmere on a free but that is pure speculation.

I’m glad we’ve retained a lot of the younger players, I think they’ll have to be involved more if the wage cap comes in and I think that’s behind the Smith decision. He has the makings of a decent player so I’m happy he’s got another chance, but he has to develop quickly so it’ll be make or break this year.

Maynard is the big one for me, he practically guarantees goals so we’ll always have a chance if we can tighten up the defence.

Tried this last term but the defence was a shadow of the previous season.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon May 18, 2020 7:27 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:
Jimstag wrote:I expected more to go given every other club seems to be clearing out just to survive, probably another indication of Radford’s commitment to us.

Pearce is the one that sticks out for me, I’ve no doubt he’ll go and do well elsewhere. Likewise with White but I’m guessing he’s on good wages so that may be the motivation.

We’re committed to Cook given the contract length, if he comes back and gives his all he could do a good job but like many I’d expect him to be off to somewhere like Tranmere on a free but that is pure speculation.

I’m glad we’ve retained a lot of the younger players, I think they’ll have to be involved more if the wage cap comes in and I think that’s behind the Smith decision. He has the makings of a decent player so I’m happy he’s got another chance, but he has to develop quickly so it’ll be make or break this year.

Maynard is the big one for me, he practically guarantees goals so we’ll always have a chance if we can tighten up the defence.

Tried this last term but the defence was a shadow of the previous season.

Every player in every position was a shadow of their former self. Pearce was really poor this season and has rightly been shown the door.

As with many players over the years, we say goodbye wish them well, and look forward. None of them will be a great miss. However you only judge a deal in hindsight. On that basis, we can only say if it was a good decision to release who we released when we see who comes in!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon May 18, 2020 7:30 pm

Pearce has left with a bit of class. Good post on Instagram
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm

sunray wrote:Hope our collective faith in GC is well founded.

He did similiar at Bristol Rovers - several went in Summer 2019 and replaced by less free transfers in. No improvement in their table position when he left. At least he has the support of David Sharpe (more support than was given to JD). So far we have gone backwards.

Assuming normal start in August we must expect at least a 10th position at Christmas.

GC left when rovers were 4th in league one didn't he? They then slid right down the table soon as he left failing to win in 12
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Chacawab » Mon May 18, 2020 7:38 pm

Stoney wrote:Pearce has left with a bit of class. Good post on Instagram

Not on Instagram - what's he say?
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DogsDoDahs » Mon May 18, 2020 7:43 pm

Just want to say a massive thank you to
@mansfieldtownfc
and everyone associated with the club for an incredible 5 years. I’ve enjoyed all of my 200+ games here and the club will forever be close to my heart. Big Chief!! Yellow heart
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chacawab » Mon May 18, 2020 7:45 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:Just want to say a massive thank you to
@mansfieldtownfc
and everyone associated with the club for an incredible 5 years. I’ve enjoyed all of my 200+ games here and the club will forever be close to my heart. Big Chief!! Yellow heart

CHIEEEEEFFFFFFF!!!!!
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Mon May 18, 2020 7:49 pm

Don’t think he’s been released due to his ability, there has got to be a line somewhere especially as captain, we needed to freshen things up, especially at the spine of the team.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Mon May 18, 2020 7:51 pm

Absolutely gutted that Pearce has been let go. He has still got a couple of good seasons in him.. Don't quite understand some of the criticism he's received from this season. All the team was a shambles.
He will go down as a Stags legend in my eyes. It won't feel right, him not being in the defence and rallying the other players and fans. Good luck Cheif
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 pm

Once again we have to put faith in yet another manager in the close season.
If we are to challenge for promotion we need a spine to the team, something which isn't there in the retained list, apart from Maynard if he stays. Which I think won't happen.
Lets see who he brings in and we go from there.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 18, 2020 8:15 pm

@mansfieldtownfc

the above is what he put on twitter.

He put slightly more on instagram:

Krystian Pearce on instagram krystianpearce
I just want to say a massive thank you to @mansfieldtownfc and all the incredible stags that have shown me so much love and support over the last 5 years. It’s been an absolute honour to captain such a fantastic club. I’ve played with so many fantastic players on the pitch and worked with so many fantastic people off it. I’ve definitely made friends for life here and will forever hold the club close to my heart. Forever Grateful to @johnlawrenceradford and @carolyn_radford for giving me the opportunity. Thank you all. Big Chief!! #COYS #ForeverStag #5years #NewBeginnings #LetsSeeWhatTheFutureHolds
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
@mansfieldtownfc

the above is what he put on twitter.

He put slightly more on instagram:

Krystian Pearce on instagram krystianpearce
I just want to say a massive thank you to @mansfieldtownfc and all the incredible stags that have shown me so much love and support over the last 5 years. It’s been an absolute honour to captain such a fantastic club. I’ve played with so many fantastic players on the pitch and worked with so many fantastic people off it. I’ve definitely made friends for life here and will forever hold the club close to my heart. Forever Grateful to @johnlawrenceradford and @carolyn_radford for giving me the opportunity. Thank you all. Big Chief!! #COYS #ForeverStag #5years #NewBeginnings #LetsSeeWhatTheFutureHolds

Classy and not unexpected. Some others could learn a lesson from that. (DCFC....)
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon May 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

mal_1632

Pearce is 31 next and been a great servant to the club but we have to trust GC in his judgement and give thanks to all the players leaving and wish them well in their careers .

You say 31 like its old, for a centre back its probably about his prime. Some of our greatest centre halves have been well over 30. Of course it might be Pearce's decision to leave, but if not and if GC let him go, it is a bad mistake.

As for trusting in GC's judgement, we'll see. Nothing so far in his early time here has given me any cause to trust his judgement just yet, time will tell and of course he must be given time to build his own squad and own style of play - I just hope its better than what we saw early doors!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 18, 2020 8:46 pm

Carolyn has also commented his post saying that ‘he will be missed’. More suggestion that this was choice IMO.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon May 18, 2020 8:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Carolyn has also commented his post saying that ‘he will be missed’. More suggestion that this was choice IMO.

You best tell Rob then, you can just see his toes wriggling out KPs arris :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bmthstag » Mon May 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Just maybe we did offer KP a contract but on less wages than last season and he’s chosen not to accept the new deal. Under those circumstances he is entitled to a free transfer.
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum