{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Update - Retain list now out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Update - Retain list now out

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 20, 2020 7:14 pm

lifestags wrote:First silly rumour of the summer and probably the most obvious one, Johnson Clarke Harris. He loves GC and Apparently is out of contract? He was linked with champ in Jan so doubt this is true.

His wages would be huge surely? Would be a massive signing at this level, but people set themselves up for disappointment when these big names get thrown about on here and they dont end up getting signed. Cant see him dropping to league two again but as we all know... money talks
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
lifestags wrote:First silly rumour of the summer and probably the most obvious one, Johnson Clarke Harris. He loves GC and Apparently is out of contract? He was linked with champ in Jan so doubt this is true.

His wages would be huge surely? Would be a massive signing at this level, but people set themselves up for disappointment when these big names get thrown about on here and they dont end up getting signed. Cant see him dropping to league two again but as we all know... money talks

Didn’t Evans try and sign him or take him on loan from Rotherham, but for some reason it fell through and he went to Coventry on loan instead?
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 20, 2020 8:26 pm

No Breaks Allowed wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Didn’t Evans try and sign him or take him on loan from Rotherham, but for some reason it fell through and he went to Coventry on loan instead?

Didn't evans try to sign every player in the league? :lol: You sound about right though, he likes to sign players from his old clubs
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 pm

You're 100% correct.
It is the first silly rumour of the summer...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed May 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

You're 100% correct.

You peed off as you usually get most silly rumours in first? :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

You're 100% correct.

Ouch :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

You're 100% correct.

His source of 'a bloke down t'pub told me' is a little difficult atm. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu May 21, 2020 7:31 am

Spiritater wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

You're 100% correct.

He's getting one today from the McDonalds drive through window, watch this space :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu May 21, 2020 8:02 am

Looking at the latest proposals from the EFL regarding a wage cap, it seems the players wage budget will be around £1.25m per season in League 2 and they are aiming at bringing it in for the 2020/21 season.

That limits who you can ring in when League 2 clubs are proposed to being limited to £2.5m, that's a stumbling block to clubs like ours. The cap would make Mr Radford's millions irrelevant when it comes to the playing budget. In fact wasn't it JR who called for a wage cap in the first place?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 am

There are legal loopholes to wage caps. It might benefit us and make the lower leagues sustainable.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu May 21, 2020 10:13 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

You're 100% correct.

He's getting one today from the McDonalds drive through window, watch this space :lol:

I would give you 3 silly rumours just to get a sniff of 20 chicken Nuggs :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu May 21, 2020 11:14 am

Does anyone know if we have put time limits on the offers to players who we are currently negotiating with? If so when are we likely to hear the outcome?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu May 21, 2020 11:31 am

oldweststander wrote:Looking at the latest proposals from the EFL regarding a wage cap, it seems the players wage budget will be around £1.25m per season in League 2 and they are aiming at bringing it in for the 2020/21 season.

That limits who you can ring in when League 2 clubs are proposed to being limited to £2.5m, that's a stumbling block to clubs like ours. The cap would make Mr Radford's millions irrelevant when it comes to the playing budget. In fact wasn't it JR who called for a wage cap in the first place?

I think wage caps only apply to the clubs season outlay on wages. Additional 'top ups' off balance sheet would become the norm. Ie bonuses, and payment for non playing duties etc.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:31 pm

A wage cap is easily bypassed. It's a cap on the basic wages of the player. Bonuses can be implemented. A striker would demand max wage of say £1.5k (random number) but then loads in appearance bonuses (yes many players get a bonus just for being picked for the first team) goal bonuses, clean sheet bonus, cup/league performance bonuses etc etc etc.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu May 21, 2020 4:02 pm

There are already provisions that deal with wages in the financial sustainability rules - Eg when working out the Employee Cost (for these purposes) you must include

Benefits in kind
Salary
Signing on fee
Loyalty bonuses
Pension payments
Agent payments

I’m sure if they had a wage cap they would have a similar list that would contain all the stuff that could be dressed up as wages (including all bonuses) to make sure it was all covered. I expect they would include everything paid to a player by the club to make sure clubs don’t try to get round it.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Thu May 21, 2020 6:26 pm

gazza1988 wrote:A wage cap is easily bypassed. It's a cap on the basic wages of the player. Bonuses can be implemented. A striker would demand max wage of say £1.5k (random number) but then loads in appearance bonuses (yes many players get a bonus just for being picked for the first team) goal bonuses, clean sheet bonus, cup/league performance bonuses etc etc etc.

EFL say cap includes all bonuses.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jimstag » Fri May 22, 2020 1:59 pm

So based on the squad we have what do people think we need bearing in mind the limitations are likely to be 20 players and a £1.25m wage cap?

To me we need cover all over.

1 goalkeeper (assume Stone will be in the mix given how he pushed Conrad and Bobby for a starting place)
Centre Back
Right back (guessing this will be Joe Riley & Clarke?)
Midfield - cover in all positions
Forward - hopefully Maynard signs then the question is if Cook returns
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Thanks Conrad. Good luck for the future.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri May 22, 2020 3:26 pm

With all the uncertainty around you'd like to think maybe Maynard will sign for another year.. same with Cook, Tranmere loan really didn't work for him.

Rose, Maynard, Cook would be a good front three to have available.

Sort this midfield, get another decent winger who is a threat and we're rolling.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri May 22, 2020 3:32 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

For all the stick he got, he's been a top pro.

And for a league two keeper I don't think ive seen many make that many incredible stops. Beast of a shot stopper and I think one of the players of the season.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Fri May 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

For all the stick he got, he's been a top pro.

And for a league two keeper I don't think ive seen many make that many incredible stops. Beast of a shot stopper and I think one of the players of the season.

A lot on here have moaned about Conrad Logan, but we have had many a worse keeper than him and for me he always put a shift in. And all keepers make mistakes. Best of luck for your future Conrad.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 22, 2020 5:11 pm

Good luck to him, however should never have been kept on last season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri May 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Sedgwick wrote:With all the uncertainty around you'd like to think maybe Maynard will sign for another year.. same with Cook, Tranmere loan really didn't work for him.

Sort this midfield, get another decent winger who is a threat and we're rolling.

But Cook didn't want to be at the One Call, he will be gone before next season, whenever that is?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:With all the uncertainty around you'd like to think maybe Maynard will sign for another year.. same with Cook, Tranmere loan really didn't work for him.

But Cook didn't want to be at the One Call, he will be gone before next season, whenever that is?

Umm! One Call on last years wage, Another Call on reduced wage, or No Call at all, I wonder.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum