{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Update - Retain list now out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Update - Retain list now out

Postby AlanStag » Mon May 18, 2020 10:12 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
AlanStag wrote:Not fussed about any players leaving, every single one of them have had their chance to push us to promotion and let us down for the past 3 seasons. I think sentiment is clouding people's views of the group we had, if the senior pros had enough about them we'd be playing in league 1 by now. If we keep going with the same core then it will be the same results unfortunately.

Some will go onto have decent careers at other clubs individually in a different group of players, but the collective team we had just didn't have it in them. We need a team pulling in the same direction and who will stand up when counted and when it matters.

Some big generalisations here Alan, you can’t tar a single player with the failures of a team. Is Harry Kane a failure because Spurs haven’t won a trophy?

I said some will go on to be good players elsewhere. But it’s been the same spine of senior pros for a few years now (Pearce, MacDonald, Bishop, Mellis, Conrad) and whenever we’ve had a big run of games we fold like a pack of cards every time.

Fact is it’s league 2 and there’s much difference between players at this level as any standouts quickly move up, unlike in the Premier league where you’ve got world class players. GC has come in with fresh eyes and seen the players for what they are doing now, he doesn’t care what they did 2 seasons ago.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:13 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:It has already started, some idiot called Joe Knowles on Facebook has had a go at Conrad. Berating Conrad and hoping that he tears his Achilles and never plays again.

During Mental health week is Joe Knowles sub-consciously broadcasting a cry for help? Or is he an embarrassing little squirt that needs to grow up?

Thankfully most Stags fans behave with dignity when the retained list is published. To those that have nothing between the ears, think before you type as it the decent Stags Fans you embarrass and not yourself.

Rant over, good evening by the way.

Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon May 18, 2020 10:23 pm

Jason Law seems to have been around forever and survived several reatained lists now, swear down he must be nearly 30 himself surely :lol:

To be fair to the lad, on the very few occasions he's had a run out for the first team, he's not put a foot wrong really.
I can only assume the youth lads are all on no more than a couple of hundred quid a week for so many to be retained with no real prospect of regular first team action.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon May 18, 2020 10:26 pm

AlanStag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
AlanStag wrote:Not fussed about any players leaving, every single one of them have had their chance to push us to promotion and let us down for the past 3 seasons. I think sentiment is clouding people's views of the group we had, if the senior pros had enough about them we'd be playing in league 1 by now. If we keep going with the same core then it will be the same results unfortunately.

Some will go onto have decent careers at other clubs individually in a different group of players, but the collective team we had just didn't have it in them. We need a team pulling in the same direction and who will stand up when counted and when it matters.

Some big generalisations here Alan, you can’t tar a single player with the failures of a team. Is Harry Kane a failure because Spurs haven’t won a trophy?

I said some will go on to be good players elsewhere. But it’s been the same spine of senior pros for a few years now (Pearce, MacDonald, Bishop, Mellis, Conrad) and whenever we’ve had a big run of games we fold like a pack of cards every time.

Fact is it’s league 2 and there’s much difference between players at this level as any standouts quickly move up, unlike in the Premier league where you’ve got world class players. GC has come in with fresh eyes and seen the players for what they are doing now, he doesn’t care what they did 2 seasons ago.

They bottled it 2 seasons running.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 am

tmwilson wrote:Absolutely gutted that Pearce has been let go. He has still got a couple of good seasons in him.. Don't quite understand some of the criticism he's received from this season. All the team was a shambles.
He will go down as a Stags legend in my eyes. It won't feel right, him not being in the defence and rallying the other players and fans. Good luck Cheif

Good Post
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue May 19, 2020 6:54 am

Great to see from Pearce. Really am gutted to see him leave, would have loved him to stay but maybe he just fancied a fresh start. Good luck to him and he will get a great reception from us should he ever return to FM.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Tue May 19, 2020 7:05 am

There are a number of really good servants to the club who are leaving, and I wish them all the very best for the future. Stokes and OSJ never really got the chance to show us what they can do with a run in the team. Pearce has shown what a good centre back\captain can be. Bishop has revived the central midfield role that we lacked for so long... we can't lose this role again Macca's work ethic has been outstanding. Bobby and Conrad both played their part in keeping dreams alive, and demonstrated some quality goalkeeping (at times). Matt Preston & Otis Khan had so much potential to shine and be a foundation for the team, but never got settled. Injury hampered Davies and White, but Hayden brought the excitement when he was on the field... that buzz.
There are some big shoes to fill, and some significant building work to do. There are new legends (hopefully) waiting to come and fill the void.
Thanks for all your efforts guys.... it's been a rollercoaster
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue May 19, 2020 7:12 am

Good clear out , wonder if Andy Cook will be on is way if a offer comes in .
Looks likely.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue May 19, 2020 7:30 am

one f in mansfield wrote:
Jimstag wrote:I expected more to go given every other club seems to be clearing out just to survive, probably another indication of Radford’s commitment to us.

Pearce is the one that sticks out for me, I’ve no doubt he’ll go and do well elsewhere. Likewise with White but I’m guessing he’s on good wages so that may be the motivation.

We’re committed to Cook given the contract length, if he comes back and gives his all he could do a good job but like many I’d expect him to be off to somewhere like Tranmere on a free but that is pure speculation.

I’m glad we’ve retained a lot of the younger players, I think they’ll have to be involved more if the wage cap comes in and I think that’s behind the Smith decision. He has the makings of a decent player so I’m happy he’s got another chance, but he has to develop quickly so it’ll be make or break this year.

Maynard is the big one for me, he practically guarantees goals so we’ll always have a chance if we can tighten up the defence.

Tried this last term but the defence was a shadow of the previous season.

That’s my point. We’ve offered Maynard a new deal and if he signs alongside Rose we have half the equation. We’ve released Pearce, Preston, White and most of Centre midfield. If coughlan Can bring in his own men to fix the other problems we should challenge.

Last season, as you point out we went from having one of the meanest defences to being pretty poor. Hopefully this can be addressed this window.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 am

Think we need to remember that a big club and our former manager are likely going to be n League Two next year, for whom three of our released defenders were part of the best defence in the league.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue May 19, 2020 8:09 am

bmthstag wrote:Just maybe we did offer KP a contract but on less wages than last season and he’s chosen not to accept the new deal. Under those circumstances he is entitled to a free transfer.

Most likely scenario I feel, the Chief will find another club without too much hassle even in these troubled times.

Hope so anyway.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue May 19, 2020 8:39 am

I think letting him go is going to come back and haunt us.

Whereas you obviously back the manager I just don’t get the thought process here. Yes, like virtually everyone he wasn’t the best last season but he’s still right up there as one of the better defenders.

We’re just going to get a better defender than him? Fair play if we do - I just can’t for the life of me see why.

The only thing is that maybe there’s something behind the scenes the fans don’t know.

Certainly a gamble though.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue May 19, 2020 9:10 am

adamstag wrote:I think letting him go is going to come back and haunt us.

Whereas you obviously back the manager I just don’t get the thought process here. Yes, like virtually everyone he wasn’t the best last season but he’s still right up there as one of the better defenders.

We’re just going to get a better defender than him? Fair play if we do - I just can’t for the life of me see why.

The only thing is that maybe there’s something behind the scenes the fans don’t know.

You’re assuming Pearce wanted to stay?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 19, 2020 9:11 am

Hopefully we might get some sort of interview with GC with regards the retained list. Not something that would usually happen but with the club so I’m need of content and having not heard from the manager for a couple of weeks, we might.

We won’t know if players were offered terms until they sign elsewhere, or we may never know. I saw that Bish is due to chat to the Chad so we may get some insight on his situation.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue May 19, 2020 9:34 am

I think coughlan will have replacements lined up for the released players including Pearce an macca.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 am

I am quite happy with the retained list. I would have liked Pearce and Sweeney to be together but let's be honest the videos that Martin has been posting on Facebook show some centre halves who contributed well with goals from set pieces and that is not something we have seen over recent years. As much as I love the spirit and camaraderie that the Chief has with the fans, he was inconsistent for the last year of his time with us. So whether he has chosen to go or has been released, it is now up to GC, Andy Burgess and David Sharp to bring in someone better who can lead a strong, tight back four.
Interesting over the number of academy graduates who have not been released and one thought is that it is about hedging our bets before we know what is happening to other clubs and those lower than us. Potentially they could be loaned to non league clubs in trouble to develop to see whether any of them could make it. Ali Smith just seemed so off the pace at L2 level but seemed to have real quality in the cup games so is a real conundrum. Perhaps GC thinks he needs one more year?
For me, the only one who worries me is Nicky Maynard. I think he and Danny Rose have a lot of goals in them under the current manager. Lots of uniformed guesswork on what he will do and all we can do it wait for announcements. At least we are talking about football.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 am

adamstag wrote:I think letting him go is going to come back and haunt us.

You're expecting a manager to keep him based on his previous performances and reputation, GC won't look through old tapes and go you know what ill give him another go as people are saying he's decent. That would be poor management.

Easiest conclusion is, GC wants to freshen things up, has got rid of most that were out of contract, KP is one of them. They probably had a chat and both agreed its best to move on. KP has been here years, a move will do him some good.

Will we be able to get a better defender? Time will tell, but most games this season, the visiting team has had better.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 am

geoffhill wrote:I think coughlan will have replacements lined up for the released players including Pearce an macca.

I agree with you that replacements will already be in place.
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:27 am

In regards to Pearce. He's a player who likes to play it out from the back. Coughlan strikes me as someone who prefers a more direct approach. Not meaning hoof hoof to the big man just somewhere in between. Maybe pearce wants to move to a club that plays to his strengths?

Another variable could be FFP. It's based on 55% of the clubs turnover. We've had no turnover for months. It's entirely possible we can't afford his wages.

Many players contracts include wage increases per year of 5-10% (not applicable to 1 year deals. Obviously) imagine what Pearce was earning after 5 years (remember Mal Benning was 21 when he joined so wasn't on as much as Pearce) let's also not forget that pearce was transfer listed by GC in January.

I can't grumble too much at the rest of the retained list.

Outside the players already under contract, the rest are players GC wants to keep/get rid. So they are "his team" now. I guess time will tell who he wants and who to get rid of, he's not afraid to transfer list players.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue May 19, 2020 12:09 pm

:D Beat of luck CHIEF :clap: Respect :clap:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 pm

oldweststander wrote:
bmthstag wrote:Just maybe we did offer KP a contract but on less wages than last season and he’s chosen not to accept the new deal. Under those circumstances he is entitled to a free transfer.

Most likely scenario I feel, the Chief will find another club without too much hassle even in these troubled times.

Hope so anyway.

Salford bound...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue May 19, 2020 12:36 pm

Whoever he comes back with and whenever, he will always get a big round of applause from me!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby 4harrier3 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:25 pm

A reminder--See page 2.SPBSs message.
4harrier3
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm

I was very surprised by Alex MacDonald as I thought he was a GC type of player with lots of pressing and running.

I would have kept Krystian Pearce but he was clearly unsettled last year and he might already have another deal lined up. He's been my Player of the Season in 3 out of the last 5 seasons. GC might also have not forgiven him or has some doubts after the bust up they had about double training sessions when he first arrived.

I'm surprised by Mal Benning because I got the impression that he felt he needed another challenge and GC had started playing CJ at left wing back.

I would have released Willem Tomlinson. I lost patience with him after the league game at Oldham away but his form did pick up towards the end.

Charlie Charles Charsley has not done enough for me but if he was on low wages then I might have given him a short term contract.

As David Sharpe says, there will be some quality players tumbling down the leagues and who normally a League 2 club would not have had much chance of signing. We need to pick up a few of these gems.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue May 19, 2020 3:36 pm

I think Charlsley will surprise a few people next season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum