{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Update - Retain list now out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Update - Retain list now out

Postby Rob » Mon May 18, 2020 3:49 pm

I think Pearce should have been retained and we will struggle to bring in someone as good as he has been for us. I'm also sad about Preston, he was superb under DF but had a poor season this year, he will make an excellent player for someone else but I guess I can understand why the new manager has let him go.

I think the rest are pretty much bang on. Be good to get Kelland Watts back next season if possible, he looks a real prospect and like others have said I suspect Cook will be sold to Tranny if they have any cash. If those under negotiation all sign it means we have retained 20 players, which is a good thing, to have had the carnage some wanted would have meant start again and definitely no challenge next season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon May 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Other than Pearce no real surprises.

Personally I would have kept Macca. I agree with some of the comments about him, but think he would have flourished under Coughlin like he did under Evans.

I can't get my head around some of the anti-Benning stuff. A proper pre-season behind him and we know how good he is.

I don't think Maynard will be here and Cook has already told Coughlin he doesn't want to play in the pressing game we will be employing
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon May 18, 2020 3:50 pm

I'd happily swap Andy Cook for Jake Caprice, he would perfectly fill the void left by White leaving.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 18, 2020 3:52 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:For me really surprised Alistair Smith gets another bite at the cherry.

Might get shot down for this, but I think there’s an element of keeping up appearances with regards to some of the youth lads, though I appreciate that all squads will be made up with some youth teamers.

everytime I've seen Smith play he was chasing shadows and looked out of his depth.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon May 18, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks Chief Bish Macca and Bobby. All the best for the future
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Mon May 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Just maybe we are going to try and build a team this time rather than buy one!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Mon May 18, 2020 3:59 pm

I don’t think we let Pearce go. He clearly wanted to go and has done for some time
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 pm

I expected more to go given every other club seems to be clearing out just to survive, probably another indication of Radford’s commitment to us.

Pearce is the one that sticks out for me, I’ve no doubt he’ll go and do well elsewhere. Likewise with White but I’m guessing he’s on good wages so that may be the motivation.

We’re committed to Cook given the contract length, if he comes back and gives his all he could do a good job but like many I’d expect him to be off to somewhere like Tranmere on a free but that is pure speculation.

I’m glad we’ve retained a lot of the younger players, I think they’ll have to be involved more if the wage cap comes in and I think that’s behind the Smith decision. He has the makings of a decent player so I’m happy he’s got another chance, but he has to develop quickly so it’ll be make or break this year.

Maynard is the big one for me, he practically guarantees goals so we’ll always have a chance if we can tighten up the defence.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Not surprised about Pearce given that he was told he could leave in January. I think what's happened is that GC kept him relatively on side by giving him a second chance because of his status in the squad, but the season is over now and he can't have any characters there who command more respect than him in the dressing room. He's been absolutely brilliant for us, but he's replaceable now, which makes it an easier decision.

Now that GC has help from the DoF, he's probably been assured of what resources he'll have to bring people in too. I expect some big signings to come when the window opens.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 18, 2020 4:07 pm

I know it would’ve been no different had the season ended as planned, but a bit of a shame there be no farewell for Pearce.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 18, 2020 4:13 pm

Some over paid players released thank god.

Now let’s go build a team instead of buying individuals if you get me !
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon May 18, 2020 4:17 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Thanks Chief Bish Macca and Bobby. All the best for the future

Here here
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Mon May 18, 2020 4:18 pm

No massive surprises, a lot of good players have left but I think it’s the right time for us to move them, especially with the money some are rumoured to be on.

I’ve got every faith in the management and board to replace and rebuild.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Mon May 18, 2020 4:19 pm

Pearce could be a mistake, but like Preston wasn’t the best last season - maybe both deserved another shot.

However, it could be the case that their wages were too high and/or they didn’t fit into the plans of the new manager.

The rest largely makes sense
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 18, 2020 4:39 pm

So it looks like the remains of the last five seasons are as follows:

Adam Murray
Danny Rose, CJ Hamilton and Mal Benning

Steve Evans

David Flitcroft
Ryan Sweeney, Willem Tomlinson

John Dempster
Andy Cook, Kellan Gordon, James Clarke, Aidan Stone

Graham Coughlin
Harry Charsley

Youth Team
Jimmy Knowles, Jason Law, Tyrese Sinclair,

No Steve Evans players are left but still three signed by Adam Murray/Micky Moore
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 18, 2020 4:42 pm

adamstag wrote:Pearce could be a mistake, but like Preston wasn’t the best last season - maybe both deserved another shot.

However, it could be the case that their wages were too high and/or they didn’t fit into the plans of the new manager.

The rest largely makes sense

Pearce may have wanted to leave. As others have stated, retained list don't tell you who was offered deals and who refused them/the club didn't want them.

It's a shame he doesn't get the send off he deserves though, he's been a good servant to the club
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon May 18, 2020 4:42 pm

That proves how good Murray was at finding decent players. Could he come back in some capacity? Seems like he could spot a decent player or two.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon May 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Gutted about Pearce leaving but he was found wanting a few times this season. Could be perfect timing for both parties for him to leave.
I will say this though. Thanks for all your efforts and some outstanding performances whilst here KP!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 18, 2020 4:52 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:That proves how good Murray was at finding decent players. Could he come back in some capacity? Seems like he could spot a decent player or two.

Not much chance of that at the moment, he’s loving his role at Barnsley.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon May 18, 2020 4:58 pm

A lot of the young lads being kept it seems even ones that have barely kicked a ball for us, is he going with the youth after all then?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Mon May 18, 2020 5:18 pm

So who was the disruptive influence in the dressing room? Has he left now?
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 18, 2020 5:21 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:That proves how good Murray was at finding decent players. Could he come back in some capacity? Seems like he could spot a decent player or two.

Micky Moore told me after the Cheltenham game this season that he had recommended Krystian Pearce, Mal Benning and CJ Hamilton to Adam Murray.

The quality of our recruitment may improve under David Sharpe because he is likely to be able to tap into some good contacts from the leagues above.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 18, 2020 5:28 pm

you will be sadly missed , Some superb memories and a great captain take care CHIEF
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon May 18, 2020 5:51 pm

It has already started, some idiot called Joe Knowles on Facebook has had a go at Conrad. Berating Conrad and hoping that he tears his Achilles and never plays again.

During Mental health week is Joe Knowles sub-consciously broadcasting a cry for help? Or is he an embarrassing little squirt that needs to grow up?

Thankfully most Stags fans behave with dignity when the retained list is published. To those that have nothing between the ears, think before you type as it the decent Stags Fans you embarrass and not yourself.

Rant over, good evening by the way.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon May 18, 2020 6:01 pm

Looks like a decent retained list to me. The other one I would have had on the retained list was Macca.

Some of the younger players have not done much yet but we have to trust GC and the team that see them on the training ground and in youth and reserve games and they are best placed to for a view.

I presume, as well, that’s he’s made his list based on who he thinks he might be able to get into the positions that are freed up so we shouldn’t just judge him on who he has or hasn’t let go as he will be thinking what the whole squad looks like with new additions.

Finally, I hope all the players leaving find a decent role somewhere else.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum