{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:46 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:And in answer to Belly’s point as to what to do with the money, assuming it gets spent on wages is why we have got into that mess in the first place.

Businesses make money all the time and either invest in infrastructure or (fans hate this for lots of reasons) pay a dividend to the owners. They don’t up everyone’s wages to try and spend all the money.

Provided you’ve got responsible owners then paying a responsible dividend isn’t necessarily a bad thing. A business that pays dividends can attract long term capital investment on a sustainable basis and then maybe we can move towards self sustainable clubs rather than relying on rich benefactors or clubs going bust.

The hard bit in football is the responsible owners paying responsible dividends.

So the issue isn’t the spending of funds, it’s the oversight to stop overspending. That’s where the pressure point on clubs should be. All teams are different.

The financial fair play and sustainability rules - which sought to cap spending - have failed.

They’ve failed empirically because clubs still spent beyond their means and have gone bust and they’ve failed specifically because there’s too much complexity (around income and expenditure varying from year to year and season to season and what income properly means) and it’s too difficult to police. See for example some of the stuff around sale and leaseback of grounds.

The wage cap isn’t perfect (I never said it was) but it is simple and easy to administer and seems to achieve the broad aim of clubs becoming sustainable. So in my view it’s the best (not perfect) available solution to the underlying problem.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby daddycool » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:10 pm

Not as good as signing LAPSLIE
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:15 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree on the Sunderland point. In principle the bigger earning clubs should be able to spend what they earn. Although Sunderland are not the best example as they did get themselves into a lot of trouble by committing to wages they couldn’t afford.

Are you able to offer your thoughts to my questions?

Clarify them and I’ll do my best.

I’m not sure what needs clarification. All of my questions were punctuated with a question mark, and to list them again would lose the context of why they were asked.

They are mostly aimed at understanding what you mean by football communism as it’s a term you use occasionally as a negative, but it doesn’t really make sense when I try and understand your perspective.

If I’m honest I think you have thrown out some politically emotive term, but haven’t really thought through what you mean by it.

This should be fairly easy to answer as you said the term should be simple for anyone of reasonable intelligence to understand.

I absolutely have thought it through.

See the Bellamy vision of communism.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10 ... lCode=rrpa
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:49 pm

You remind me if an MP I know. Never answering the question!

If it’s so simple, why have you have used a 51 year old academic journal which sits behind a paywall to explain it?

I’m open to the use of academic material, but any credible academic would be looking for you offer your own critical analysis and conclusion based upon more than one source of information.

I actually have access to the full journal article and I would take the time to read it, only the abstract you have linked already debunks your argument as Bellamy thinks of communism as equal wages for everyone, but the EFL salary cap is completely different to this. It simply regulates the maximum overall wage bill to ensure clubs are run in a sustainable fashion. What each player gets paid within the limit is up to the club who pay them - meaning that every player is not receiving equal wages.

I agree that the salary cap isn’t perfect, but it will protect livelihoods and the community assets that football clubs are. We know that many clubs can’t be trusted to do this themselves, hence the need for the cap being introduced.

Banding around nonsense about communism just muddies the water and doesn’t appear to add any value to the debate.
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 pm

Take it to politics guys. This is transfer thread
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:11 pm

The One wrote:Take it to politics guys. This is transfer thread

Apologies and fair point

I’ll keep to topic.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:11 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
The One wrote:Take it to politics guys. This is transfer thread

Apologies and fair point

I’ll keep to topic.

Thank you
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:30 am

Thank god for that....
I click on the new posts on this thread with the excitement of a young child at Christmas hoping tippy tippy has posted the latest loan signing of Boreham Wood.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:44 pm

Paul Ogden appointed chief scout at Barrow , who did he spot for us when he was here ? Cannot remember
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:14 pm

daddycool wrote:Paul Ogden appointed chief scout at Barrow , who did he spot for us when he was here ? Cannot remember
Matt Green
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:40 pm

Apparently Danny Rowe going to Bradford.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:58 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:Apparently Danny Rowe going to Bradford.

Did you mean Danny Rose ?
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:04 pm

daddycool wrote:

Did you mean Danny Rose ?

Sorry spotted it ,Danny Rowe
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:49 pm

Mansfield Town & Leyton Orient are interested in signing Middlesbrough defender Nathan Wood, on loan.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:05 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Mansfield Town & Leyton Orient are interested in signing Middlesbrough defender Nathan Wood, on loan.

I’m not sure we’d be in the market for an 18 year old Centre back would we?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:09 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Mansfield Town & Leyton Orient are interested in signing Middlesbrough defender Nathan Wood, on loan.

Its a fake account that its taken from
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:22 pm

from the efl_hub twitter account. Do we need to go through all that again for the 100th time?
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

from the efl_hub twitter account. Do we need to go through all that again for the 100th time?

Yes :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

:D it is slightly funny though
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Dan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Yes :D

you can visit this post: viewtopic.php?p=831729#p831729
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:05 am

Thought we should have tried to get him when he was at AFC Fylde
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:22 am

yellowstagsfan wrote:

Why, 30 years old with a phenomenal football league record?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:

Why, 30 years old with a phenomenal football league record?

Wasn't 30 year old then
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:12 pm

From BBC

"Barrow have signed free-agent midfielder Jamie Devitt on an 18-month deal, following his release by Blackpool on Tuesday. The 30-year-old was on loan at Barrow's League Two rivals Newport County for the opening half of the season, scoring two goals in 11 games. Devitt, who also lists Hull, Carlisle and Morecambe among his former clubs, has 50 goals in 346 career appearances. He is Michael Jolley's fifth signing of the January transfer window. Neal Eardley, Dan Bramall, Tom Davies and Olllie Banks all joined up with the Bluebirds earlier this week."

"Bradford City have signed forward Danny Rowe from Oldham Athletic for an undisclosed fee. The 30-year-old has agreed an initial 18-month contract. He spent six prolific years in non-league football with AFC Fylde before joining the Latics in January 2020. Danny brings a real goalscoring threat to our frontline," said interim Bradford boss Mark Trueman. "He has been on our radar since long before the window opened, and turned down several other offers from across the division to be here."

"Newport County have signed winger Luke Gambin on loan from Colchester United until the end of the season. The 27-year-old has won 28 caps for Malta and has also played for Barnet and Luton Town. Exiles manager Michael Flynn said: "He knows what it takes to compete at the top end of the table after getting to the play-offs with Colchester last season."

"Exeter City have signed Fleetwood Town centre-back Sam Stubbs. The 22-year-old has joined on a free transfer and agreed a two-and-a-half-year deal. The former Middlesbrough youngster moved to Fleetwood in September after having loan spells at Notts County, Hamilton and Dutch side ADO Den Haag. Stubbs' move was delayed after he contracted Covid-19 and was forced to self-isolate having watched Exeter's FA Cup loss to Sheffield Wednesday. Exeter manager, Matt Taylor, said "He's a player we've followed for a number of seasons now, I got a fantastic reference from George Friend, who was at Middlesbrough when Sam was a young lad. He's an old-school centre-half and you don't get many of those profiles within a young body. He's a player we're looking to build a team around - we're going to have to be patient, because of the Covid issue to start with and the fact that he had a knee operation midway through December to clear out a bit of cartilage damage."

"Grimsby Town have signed Fleetwood midfielder Jay Matete on loan until the end of the season. The 19-year-old made 13 appearances for the Cod Army in the first half of the season."

"Colchester United have signed striker Aramide Oteh on loan from Queens Park Rangers for the rest of the season. Oteh, 22, who began his career at Tottenham Hotspur, hit four goals in 13 appearances for Stevenage."

"Stevenage have signed 19 year old striker Jacob Bancroft from Oxford City. Bancroft came through the academy set-up at Swindon Town and joined Oxford in September 2020. Stevenage manager Alex Revell said "He is an exciting prospect. He has shown in the National League South that he has talent. We need to develop that talent. We are excited to work with him."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:16 pm

replacement for the Chief is another former Stag

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum