{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Deadline Day

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:42 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I just don't get the pessimism of some on here.

Cook and Maynard, for whatever reasons were bench players. How many times have they come off the bench and scored?

Sarkic it seems has already been written off. At least give him a chance and see what he can do. Also we can recall Knowles if needed. A lot want to see youngsters given a chance.

Reminds me of the time Lee Peacock was transferred and we got Chris Grreenacre in exchange plus cash. Chris who many said. He became a Stags legend.

Best to wait and see. We have a very good manager. Believe in him and support him.

Half of the users on here have been moaning about Cook and Maynard for bloody ages saying they're not justifying their wages. Now they've both gone folk are up in arms about it :lol:

They weren't contributing to our recent run of form and for once we've finally got midfielders chipping in with goals helping the strikers out. We're absolutely fine imo, best signing this season is Cloughie followed by Lapslie 'D

I don’t think many have issues with Cook and Maynard going. I think it’s more that they’ve not been really replaced ?

We got Sarkic in who is an attacker didn't we?

I assume Akins was meant to sign yesterday, but because of other clubs' deals that never happened. Still managed to get one in the door, we'll be fine for the rest of the season.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:46 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Cook and Maynard, for whatever reasons were bench players. How many times have they come off the bench and scored?

Sarkic it seems has already been written off. At least give him a chance and see what he can do. Also we can recall Knowles if needed. A lot want to see youngsters given a chance.

Reminds me of the time Lee Peacock was transferred and we got Chris Grreenacre in exchange plus cash. Chris who many said. He became a Stags legend.

Best to wait and see. We have a very good manager. Believe in him and support him.

Half of the users on here have been moaning about Cook and Maynard for bloody ages saying they're not justifying their wages. Now they've both gone folk are up in arms about it :lol:

They weren't contributing to our recent run of form and for once we've finally got midfielders chipping in with goals helping the strikers out. We're absolutely fine imo, best signing this season is Cloughie followed by Lapslie 'D

I don’t think many have issues with Cook and Maynard going. I think it’s more that they’ve not been really replaced ?
I think it's due to not signing Atkins. In fact one of them has been replaced.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:48 pm

West Ham 1969 wrote:With the Akins deal falling over at the last minute, I’m sure NC would have been really frustrated to say the least, but really good to see he had a plan B.

I am more than happy with Nigels’ dealings in this window and agree with many of the comments already made above that neither Cook or Maynard will be greatly missed.

Did the Akins deal fall over?

Was he ever coming?

We don't actually know, unless you've seen something from Nigel?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:52 pm

oldweststander wrote:
West Ham 1969 wrote:With the Akins deal falling over at the last minute, I’m sure NC would have been really frustrated to say the least, but really good to see he had a plan B.

I am more than happy with Nigels’ dealings in this window and agree with many of the comments already made above that neither Cook or Maynard will be greatly missed.

Was he ever coming?

It seems like it was. We wanted Akins, Burton wanted Bowman from Exeter, Exeter never got a replacement sorted so it all fell through. That's what I believe happened.

I think he'll sign in the summer anyway
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I assume Akins was meant to sign yesterday, but because of other clubs' deals that never happened. Still managed to get one in the door, we'll be fine for the rest of the season.

So you think he’s an adequate replacement for the two players who went out ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

So you think he’s an adequate replacement for the two players who went out ?

Yes. Maynard and Cook were hardly playing so it's not like we've lost our two main strikers. Only got half a season left and Bowery and Reid start every game together so I think we'll be fine.

Save money by getting two high paid players off the books who weren't contributing. Plus can't we recall Knowles?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:29 pm

Makes sense to be a bit cautious during the January window when options are limited (and not sign second or third choices) given our standing within league 2 seems secure. I am sure Nigel will go again during the close season and get most of his first choice targets onboard when the pool of available players is much greater and he can get better value for money without salary cap limits (maybe?). He seems to build slowly but intelligently and improve at each stage rather than a operate within a scattergun method.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:30 pm

If we signed only Akins instead of Sarkic, would the response have been the same?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:37 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:If we signed only Akins instead of Sarkic, would the response have been the same?

Good question and something I have asked myself, honest answer is no it wouldn't, It would of felt better having Akins to come in then a lad we dont know much about.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 pm

lifestags wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:If we signed only Akins instead of Sarkic, would the response have been the same?

Good question and something I have asked myself, honest answer is no it wouldn't, It would of felt better having Akins to come in then a lad we dont know much about.

I agree. I think people are overlooking Sarkic’s performance at Burton though. 5 goals and 10 assists in 37 games isn’t a bad return for a winger
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bux46 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We've already made our best signing - Nigel Clough

THIS IS THE POST OF THE DAY / WEEK / MONTH / YEAR
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby five to three » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:15 pm

ParisStag wrote:He has a squad that are winning every week and he's got rid of 2 bench players while bringing in Quinn and Sarkic and making Lapslie permanent. He's improved us on the field this window and definitely in the dressing room. Trust the gaffer.

And all because now we have a manager who is building a squad and team to last rather than short term buying. Great window!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Southend have signed Jacob Mellis.

Southend tried to sign John Akinde on loan as well but it fell through.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:40 pm

Mellis could be good signing for Southend. They need to be trying to play expansive football tough because he'll go missing if they turn games into dogfights.

I think that over the last month they have the lowest average shots on target per game both for them and against them. This suggest that they are not vert expansive.

As a result I predict that Mellis will flop.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:45 pm

Col U's left back, Cohen Bramall, joined Lincoln for an undisclosed fee.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:46 pm

Adi Yussuf looks to he signing for Chesterfield.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:01 pm

oldweststander wrote:

Was he ever coming?

This. All we’ve seen is a couple of people on here pretending to be in the know and that Alan bloke on Twitter who’s probably getting his info off here :lol: Let’s hope someone asks NC later about it so we know for sure.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:03 pm

Dan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Was he ever coming?

This. All we’ve seen is a couple of people on here pretending to be in the know and that Alan bloke on Twitter who’s probably getting his info off here :lol: Let’s hope someone asks NC later about it so we know for sure.

To be fair Dan, there was only ever a 50-50 chance of him coming here ;)
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:06 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Was he ever coming?

To be fair Dan, there was only ever a 50-50 chance of him coming here ;)

I’m glad you’re finally seeing sense :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:18 pm

Very good club and man management from Clough.
Hopefully get a few answers on the fans forum video whatever you call it.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:48 pm

Billy the fish wrote:So it seems our approach is just to see out the season with hope of not being dragged into the relegation zone and with the play-offs a step to far , so I can only applaud Bolton who despite being a point behind and played a game more are not throwing the towel in far from it with their recruitment yesterday I hope they achieve promotion they will have deserved it ..

One of the few people who would applaud a club who are there to see everything wrong with the modern game, sorry bellys with you.
Bolton is a very strong footballing region in Lancashire and have spent more time in the top flight than out of it.
In 2015 having financial difficulty went into administration £1172,9 milion in deb, with a winding up petition in place, were took over by sports shield
2016 relegated to league 1, 2017 promoted to Championship,, 2018/19 more financial difficulty's, back to league 1, then in May 2019 facing E,F,L expulsion and a 12 point penalty and facing extinction again , took over by Sharon Brittan and the football ventures now relegated to league 2., it cost 17 million with a hotel thrown in to buy the club.
Never was a club given so many get out of jail cards, They play in a 28,723 all seater stadium, still capable of over 11,000 home gates .
This club is a example of complete incompetence, and a mirror of all that is wrong in the modern game, they make Bury look like saints.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:08 pm

IMO both Cook and Maynard are best when they play centrally
Both were down the pecking order for that role and they were both unhappy in not getting game time.

We needed someone who plays to the RHS in a front 3....we signed him and he can also play centrally I imagine.

Good business and a player that Nigel knows...he knows his strengths and he is a player that wants to play for Nigel.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:46 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Adi Yussuf looks to he signing for Chesterfield.

He'll p*ss all over that league!

... anyone seen my coat? ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:20 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:probably just saved 8k in wages for lads who are not playing. Got in a lad on smaller wages who could probably have the same impact from the bench.

Plus Akins has signed. announced today

Tick tock ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 pm

Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:probably just saved 8k in wages for lads who are not playing. Got in a lad on smaller wages who could probably have the same impact from the bench.

Plus Akins has signed. announced today

Tick tock ;)

Akins signed what ? a letter, cheque ??? don’t think it was a football contract Bruce
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum