{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Postby lifestags » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:46 pm

As much as I like cook if it means us getting a lwb and another Cm then it’s worth it.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:57 pm

I can't see Barrow being able to afford Andy Cook. I am sure there were rumours that he was signing for them in January and he went to a League 1 club! :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:07 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I can't see Barrow being able to afford Andy Cook. I am sure there were rumours that he was signing for them in January and he went to a League 1 club! :lol:

Barrow have the £250k transfer fee for manager Evatt from Bolton.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:12 pm

part time pete wrote:Barrow have the £250k transfer fee for manager Evatt from Bolton.

That's ok for our transfer fee Pete but they will need another £250,000 for a signing on fee and to be able to pay Andy Cook for the season :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 pm

AlanStag wrote:Rumours on OFF that Barrow are signing Cook, wouldn't surprise me after him being left out the squad today.
He used to play for them and was a fan's favourite.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:27 pm

Selling cook would be very disappointing and a bad move imo. We actually look to have good options/mix up top and cook is pivotal as he is (if fit) capable of scoring out of nothing.

you can’t progress by pulling what’s looks like a decent squad together and then selling off the best bits late on to add squad players
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:33 am

We seem to be top heavy in the striker department and short elsewhere.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:19 am

Amber Andy wrote:
AlanStag wrote:Rumours on OFF that Barrow are signing Cook, wouldn't surprise me after him being left out the squad today.
He used to play for them and was a fan's favourite.

Selling Cook makes more sense than the selling of CJ for what was rumoured to be a similar fee.
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:39 am

Unless GC has an immediate replacement lined up this close to the League season opener It wouldn’t make sense at all . It was clear last season GC didn’t rate Cook so if a decent offer came in who knows ?
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:23 am

We didn’t buy him for that much so I don’t see how we’d get that much for him with one year left on his deal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:03 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
part time pete wrote:Barrow have the £250k transfer fee for manager Evatt from Bolton.

That's ok for our transfer fee Pete but they will need another £250,000 for a signing on fee and to be able to pay Andy Cook for the season :lol:

I think it would be an exceptionally nominal fee with maybe a small sell on arrangement transfer should it happen. Anyone's guess I suppose?

We would benefit by savings in wages.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:11 am

As stated before, selling Andy Cook makes no sense unless the club receives a really good offer. He's in the books for salary cap purposes for £1,300 per week so we may as well keep him for the season. He's a great Plan A or Plan B to have. He scores goals out of nowhere with both feet. He can head the ball in from crosses. He looked fit and sharp against Preston. He's had time to settle in at the club even though he went out on loan to Tranmere and so he should kick on this season.

The main problem will be that he will get mardy if he is not a first choice striker but GC needs to find a way of keeping him sweet.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:16 am

It was obvious we didn’t play on having 5 “first team” strikers in our squad, it would be impossible to keep the other 3 happy, I think it had all come down to maynard, if he left Cook would have stayed if he stayed then cook would be the one to go.

He has impressed me during pre season but like I say I still think we’re a couple of positions short so if it means losing him to get them then it’s probably good for the squad.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 am

lifestags wrote:It was obvious we didn’t play on having 5 “first team” strikers in our squad, it would be impossible to keep the other 3 happy, I think it had all come down to maynard, if he left Cook would have stayed if he stayed then cook would be the one to go.

He has impressed me during pre season but like I say I still think we’re a couple of positions short so if it means losing him to get them then it’s probably good for the squad.

I disagree. We did plan to have 5 strikers and GC indicated much in one of his initial interviews. The season is going to be congested with a lot more midweek games. The manager has shown that two strikers will start every game, and somethings he’s had three on the pitch at the same time.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:50 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
lifestags wrote:It was obvious we didn’t play on having 5 “first team” strikers in our squad, it would be impossible to keep the other 3 happy, I think it had all come down to maynard, if he left Cook would have stayed if he stayed then cook would be the one to go.

I disagree. We did plan to have 5 strikers and GC indicated much in one of his initial interviews. The season is going to be congested with a lot more midweek games. The manager has shown that two strikers will start every game, and somethings he’s had three on the pitch at the same time.

Where does that leave Knowles and any other youth teamers though? I think 4 senior strikers and 1 or 2 youth teamers is more than adequate, especially when you're capped on how many players over 21 you can have in the squad.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:56 am

In a earlier interview when GC stated Nicky wanted to play at a higher level he said something along the lines of “the door is open but we’ve signed 2 others now so he will have to fight to win his place in the team”

I honestly think we expected Cook to leave early on, then probably thought about keeping him (ie starting him in a couple of friendlies” When it looked like Maynard was signing elsewhere, now he is back, Cook will be the one to go.

He wasn’t happy being on the bench last season, there’s nothing to suggest that this would change.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:57 am

But looking at it positively IF it allows us to sign someone like ogogo and a left wing back then I think it’s a good move, wouldn’t surprise me if Knowles was being lined up to go out on loan, he hasn’t even been playing him upfront in pre season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:46 am

lifestags wrote:But looking at it positively IF it allows us to sign someone like ogogo and a left wing back then I think it’s a good move, wouldn’t surprise me if Knowles was being lined up to go out on loan, he hasn’t even been playing him upfront in pre season.

That's because sadly he ain't anywhere near good enough
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:53 am

Sam is right about the season being congested. It's going to be like a National League season with the games coming thick and fast and often two games per week. There are already 15 Tuesday games and one Monday game in the fixture list and there may be more with postponements and cup runs (unlikely for the Stags! :lol: ).

Players may also be unavailable due to injuries, illness, testing positive for coronavirus or having to self isolate. A Scunthorpe United player has tested positive for coronavirus which resulted in John McAtee having to self isolate and miss the game yesterday.

I think we need 5 strikers in our squad. Neil Warnock likes to have six! It's probably a good idea to send Jimmy Knowles out on loan to a non-league club to give him some game time. We can always recall him if he's required.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:08 pm

lifestags wrote:In a earlier interview when GC stated Nicky wanted to play at a higher level he said something along the lines of “the door is open but we’ve signed 2 others now so he will have to fight to win his place in the team”

I honestly think we expected Cook to leave early on, then probably thought about keeping him (ie starting him in a couple of friendlies” When it looked like Maynard was signing elsewhere, now he is back, Cook will be the one to go.

He wasn’t happy being on the bench last season, there’s nothing to suggest that this would change.

After signing Maynard, GC said ‘there’s now great competition for places up front and I’m excited to see how it pans out’. That doesn’t sound to me likes he’s itching to get rid of anyone.

Knowles will likely go on loan, which would be good for him. He needs to be playing games not sat on the bench for the first team every week.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:25 pm

AlanStag wrote:Where does that leave Knowles and any other youth teamers though? I think 4 senior strikers and 1 or 2 youth teamers is more than adequate, especially when you're capped on how many players over 21 you can have in the squad.

You are allowed 22 players who are 21 and over. We currently have 21 players but that includes Joe Riley who I think we are allowed to leave out under the rules for this season and also Will Tomlinson. It also includes Alistair Smith and Jason Law who could be sent out on loan so there is still plenty of space for recruiting new players who are over 21. This is subject to the £1.5 million salary cap which is really around £1.3 million as it includes national insurance contributions paid by the football club as employer at 13.8%.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
lifestags wrote:In a earlier interview when GC stated Nicky wanted to play at a higher level he said something along the lines of “the door is open but we’ve signed 2 others now so he will have to fight to win his place in the team”

After signing Maynard, GC said ‘there’s now great competition for places up front and I’m excited to see how it pans out’. That doesn’t sound to me likes he’s itching to get rid of anyone.

Knowles will likely go on loan, which would be good for him. He needs to be playing games not sat on the bench for the first team every week.

He’s going to say that though isn’t he? He isn’t going to say “we’ve probably got 1 too many now and 1 needs to leave”
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:23 pm

Cook is a player earning much more than the divisional average so it’s going to be tough for clubs to afford him, plus the transfer fee on top.

Considering the club got a significant loan fee for him last season when Tranmere signed him, I wonder if they will want a fee to make up what we originally paid for him.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:25 pm

I think he would yes if it was necessary. He’s said all summer he wants to lower the wage bill and a smaller squad.

His actions shows the same as his words. If Cook or Rose we’re going to leave, would you pick them as the starting pair the next day against Preston?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:37 pm

Yes because there may not have been a club come in for them at the time, so you have to set your squad up as if everyone will be being used, this may have changed if Barrow have come in, he mentioned a smaller younger squad, I can’t see him wanting 5 first team strikers in this, i just think it’s the way it’s panned out with Maynard wanting to come back in the end.

Suppose time will tell.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum