{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:32 pm

S7AGS wrote:Anyone else starting to get concerned that we have lost the likes of CJ and Whites pace, MacDonalds workrate, Pearce's quality and leadership, Maynards finishing and replaced with an unproven non-league striker, 2 midfielders that respective clubs were not fussed they'd left and a young, raw defender with little experience - Faz and Stech look to be an improvement however.

We are going to need at least 5 higher quality payers to be in with a chance of doing any better than last season....to add to this, Cook clearly wants out and and wouldn't be surprised if Rose went if the price was right similar situation to CJ, the club would want to get something for him rather than nothing

Other than that we look to be relying on a load of youth that GC keeps talking up as if to break it to the fans gently that they will form a large part of the squad - of them only Sinclair and Knowles look anything like ready. I worry a bit that GC thinks the youth will come good like they did for him at B.Rovers.....I just don't think most are at the level to do it (yet) but for now i'll trust the manager to know what we need..

I'm concerned we don't have enough good players.

Last season i was worried about the manager, this season I'm worried about the lack of quality in the squad, lack of creativity, and the lack of goal threats.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
S7AGS wrote:Anyone else starting to get concerned that we have lost the likes of CJ and Whites pace, MacDonalds workrate, Pearce's quality and leadership, Maynards finishing and replaced with an unproven non-league striker, 2 midfielders that respective clubs were not fussed they'd left and a young, raw defender with little experience - Faz and Stech look to be an improvement however.

We are going to need at least 5 higher quality payers to be in with a chance of doing any better than last season....to add to this, Cook clearly wants out and and wouldn't be surprised if Rose went if the price was right similar situation to CJ, the club would want to get something for him rather than nothing

Other than that we look to be relying on a load of youth that GC keeps talking up as if to break it to the fans gently that they will form a large part of the squad - of them only Sinclair and Knowles look anything like ready. I worry a bit that GC thinks the youth will come good like they did for him at B.Rovers.....I just don't think most are at the level to do it (yet) but for now i'll trust the manager to know what we need..

All those players (barring Maynard) were part of the two bottle jobs. They aren't bad players, but they are part of the problem we didn't get promoted after being in two amazing positions two years running. I think sentiment is creeping in after people have seen two youthful sides get beat by a good league one team.

No need to panic.

Yet ;)

I'm sure we'll add a few more to the ranks

Agree that all of them were bottlejobs but clearly good enough individually and better than what we have now by some margin. We needed to build on the level we were at I.e I’d have kept CJ and white for their pace but looked to add more pace in the middle.

We look woefully short on ‘legs’ now, after white broke his leg, we never fixed this lack of pace and running power, CJ was all we had and alone wasn’t enough.
I’m afraid with what we have brought in in Clarke and Maris, both sound technically sound, where is the players to put teams in the back foot, get in behind? Macca probably no real loss as sounds similar to Clarke.
Where is the replacement winger?
Midfield needs seriously looking at.
Need some experience
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:47 pm

S7AGS wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

All those players (barring Maynard) were part of the two bottle jobs. They aren't bad players, but they are part of the problem we didn't get promoted after being in two amazing positions two years running. I think sentiment is creeping in after people have seen two youthful sides get beat by a good league one team.

No need to panic.

Yet ;)

Agree that all of them were bottlejobs but clearly good enough individually and better than what we have now by some margin. We needed to build on the level we were at I.e I’d have kept CJ and white for their pace but looked to add more pace in the middle.

We look woefully short on ‘legs’ now, after white broke his leg, we never fixed this lack of pace and running power, CJ was all we had and alone wasn’t enough.
I’m afraid with what we have brought in in Clarke and Maris, both sound technically sound, where is the players to put teams in the back foot, get in behind? Macca probably no real loss as sounds similar to Clarke.
Need some experience

You say you'd have kept CJ. He only had a year left on his deal and wouldn't have signed a new one = us losing out on potential monies on him. It's easy to say when it's not your money running the club, but we needed to recoup some losses from the stop in play.

White, I would've liked to keep him but I imagine he was on big wages and might not have accepted a lower offer but who knows. That doors closed now so we need to move on from those players. We need to look forward and not backwards. I'm sure there will be more signings
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:47 pm

I think people need to realise that the likelihood is we won’t be signing an out and out winger. A winger does not fit into the system we are going to be playing.

Also, I point this out every year, but you don’t need a 20 goal striker to get promoted. Every year two or somethings even three teams get promoted without one.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:28 pm

I saw Hayden White earlier on tonight in KFC in Forest Town with his family. I always thought he lived Birmingham/Peterborough way?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:28 pm

Also I saw Adam Chapman playing for Sheffield FC at AFC Mansfield tonight too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:03 am

Looks like Tranmere will not be wanting Cook back as they have signed James Vaughan.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:25 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:

Last season i was worried about the manager, this season I'm worried about the lack of quality in the squad, lack of creativity, and the lack of goal threats.

This season was always about being realistic and not "going for it" with a large squad and expensive players again.

Goalkeeper: Stech solid
Defence: Rawson, Sweeney Benning, Menayese... good base need two more
Midfield: Clarke, Maris, Gordon, Strong three, definitely need more Charsley could come good
Strikers: Rose, Cook, Bowrey, Reid Excellent for this league. Plus Knowles looks promising

They won't be leaving it that bare, id expect more signings but with the situation going on in the world and with football clubs people this season really will call for the managers head because he's not spent a fortune again, can see it coming already after one kick about.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:

So that's not down to the manager then? Who's fault is it... Logan's?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:35 am

As his name is now ‘out there’, the trialist from yesterday and the training pictures is Aaron O’Driscoll. He was released by Southampton. He’s played a few games in the Checkatrade.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:41 am

S7AGS wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

No need to panic.

Yet ;)

Need some experience

And let him leave for nothing. :roll: Yep great financial management... not
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:44 am

MTFCMusings wrote:As his name is now ‘out there’, the trialist from yesterday and the training pictures is Aaron O’Driscoll. He was released by Southampton. He’s played a few games in the Checkatrade.

O'Driscoll, good Irish name :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:45 am

Its a case of players playing to the best of there ability every game and if they can do this consistently as a team most games the better the results will come.

It will be up to GC to lift the moral of the squad and get them believing as a team when they go out on match day.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:49 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I think people need to realise that the likelihood is we won’t be signing an out and out winger. A winger does not fit into the system we are going to be playing.

Also, I point this out every year, but you don’t need a 20 goal striker to get promoted. Every year two or somethings even three teams get promoted without one.

Stephen McLaughlin?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:32 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:As his name is now ‘out there’, the trialist from yesterday and the training pictures is Aaron O’Driscoll. He was released by Southampton. He’s played a few games in the Checkatrade.

O'Driscoll, good Irish name :lol:

Paddy McGintys goat on trial this week
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:20 am

Not worried. CJ had to go for reasons already mentioned. White wasn't the same after injury. Macca was hardworking, but lacked quality (Clarke is way better), Pearce I'd have back, but I'm happy with the defence we now have and Maynard is a loss, but if Cook stays, we have good options.

To say Bristol and Cambridge weren't fussed about Clarke and Maris is nonsense. I've seen a couple of bitter comments that you always get, but the feedback has been mostly great. Clarke is deemed not quite good enough for a League 1 play-off push, but some also wanted him to stay. We're bottom half league 2 for perspective. Maris was out of position at Cambridge and fell out with the club, but ask anyone how he played under Joe Dunne there and they'll tell you he was brilliant.

GC is a really good coach and will get the best out of players. There needed to be a clearout so that he could impose his authority and style, which he will. Have faith in him to motivate this squad to become winners.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I think people need to realise that the likelihood is we won’t be signing an out and out winger. A winger does not fit into the system we are going to be playing.

Stephen McLaughlin?

Well, we’ve been linked with him for a month now and nothing has materialised. What I meant is that the player we sign as cover to Mal won’t be playing as an out and out winger, they’ll be playing wing back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:09 am

Hemmings has signed for Burton.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:26 am

What an agent he has got.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:55 am

Hemmings is under-rated by our lot.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:04 am

If we are looking for another forward then we could do with someone who has a bit of pace.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 am

Conker wrote:Hemmings is under-rated by our lot.

Hemmings is a half decent league two/one striker.

Our fans are deluded to think otherwise.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Conker wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Rose isn’t good enough to be our main striker

Rose and the untried Reid will be the starting two , with Bowery or Cook coming on for when Rose tires

Hence my point that if Reid doesn't make the step up, then we'll be in a mess.

Bowery is akin to Kyle Perry, and Cook doesn't suit Coughlan at all and would be out the door if there were any takers for him.

That’s OTT. Who’s to say we finally get a decent goal contribution from midfield? To say we are in a mess from one injury is ridiculous.

Contribution from midfield? The way I see it is currently we have one first team midfield option deemed as "attacking" and that's Maris. Clarke is a box to box player but far better at putting his foot in than going the other way. We need some creativity in there badly from what I can see. Looks like plenty of industry but nothing to make you excited in anticipation of the season to come just yet. Hoping that when Sharpe gets back from his hols he has some more signings lined up.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:08 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Conker wrote:Hemmings is under-rated by our lot.

Hemmings is a half decent league two/one striker.

Our fans are deluded to think otherwise.

Hemmings was over rated not even league two std
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Says a lot for me that as it currrently stands too, the loss of CJ is starting to look like a bad thing for our creativity, and he never chipped in with anywhere near enough goals and assists as he should do, and was as frustrating as Lindon Meikle was at times!
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum