{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Deadline Day

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:08 am

tuopolfpilf wrote:We cannot be sure what % of wages the loans for Cook Maynard are
My guess is enough to make a difference. Otherwise they would both still be here.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:21 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:
The One wrote:Looks like Pear Cider may have got it wrong this morning ?

He has signed, just not announced yet.

When are they announcing it, July?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:probably just saved 8k in wages for lads who are not playing. Got in a lad on smaller wages who could probably have the same impact from the bench.

Plus Akins has signed. announced today

You do seem very sure. Maybe we won't announce it and he is on the starting team sheet.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 am

I’ve made no secret that I think our weakest link has been Gordon at right back. He has done a very good job on the wing but not enough to make up for his defensive frailties in my opinion.

We now appear to have a good replacement for his wing wizardry in Sarkic so could we be going to see O’Keefe getting more games in a back four? That would also displace Charsley who I think would be a tad unlucky but he has missed a few when a stronger shot would have seen us score. From reports one of Sarkic’s strengths is the power of his shot and running.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:50 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:probably just saved 8k in wages for lads who are not playing. Got in a lad on smaller wages who could probably have the same impact from the bench.

You do seem very sure. Maybe we won't announce it and he is on the starting team sheet.

I know I'm clutching at straws here but every transfer year I follow precedings on stags twitter page. Every year they sign off by saying, that concludes business in the transfer window. Its the first year I can remember they haven't done this.
Last edited by tmwilson on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:34 am

tmwilson wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:

I know I'm clutching at straws here but every transfer year I follow precedings on stags twitter page. Every year they sign of by saying, that concludes business in the transfer window. Its the first year I can remember they haven't done this.

Thought the same last night. No sign off which is normally the case.

Maybe he signed last night, and they’re doing all the normal photo stuff today and it’ll be a bigger announcement (holding the scarf etc)
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 am

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 am

Don’t forget we can still sign free agents if there’s a crisis. Danny Graham was released from Sunderland yesterday, he may fit the bill.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:40 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I’ve made no secret that I think our weakest link has been Gordon at right back. He has done a very good job on the wing but not enough to make up for his defensive frailties in my opinion.

We now appear to have a good replacement for his wing wizardry in Sarkic so could we be going to see O’Keefe getting more games in a back four? That would also displace Charsley who I think would be a tad unlucky but he has missed a few when a stronger shot would have seen us score. From reports one of Sarkic’s strengths is the power of his shot and running.

Had a chat with one of our youth coaches the other day who was saying its becoming harder and harder to find left/right backs who can out and out defend, they're all becoming obsessed thinking they have to be more of a threat going forward because of the likes of Trent and Robertson at Liverpool.

From what ive seen of O’Keefe, he can do both quite well but he's very defence minded.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:41 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Not sure he's always in the know, seems to blag a lot of what he posts about certain clubs.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:44 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Luckily Akins signed this morning then ;)

He cant have done, that Bear73 youth said it would never happen, especially in Jan :lol:

Well parky that dig did not go down to well,, Sometimes its best to read a opinion and keep a open mind
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:45 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Don’t forget we can still sign free agents if there’s a crisis. Danny Graham was released from Sunderland yesterday, he may fit the bill.

Do we have any shirts big enough for him? :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:57 am

Billy the fish wrote:If we lose Bowery to injury we are in deep trouble ..

How that's changed since Oct/Nov then :lol:
Oh and if you reckon losing Bowery puts us in deep trouble then have a look at it from a Grimsby/Southend perspective.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:08 am

I see Mellis has signed for Southend. That love affair didn't last long.

Apologies if I've missed this on another thread
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:09 am

So it seems our approach is just to see out the season with hope of not being dragged into the relegation zone and with the play-offs a step to far , so I can only applaud Bolton who despite being a point behind and played a game more are not throwing the towel in far from it with their recruitment yesterday I hope they achieve promotion they will have deserved it ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:10 am

Billy the fish wrote:So it seems our approach is just to see out the season with hope of not being dragged into the relegation zone and with the play-offs a step to far , so I can only applaud Bolton who despite being a point behind and played a game more are not throwing the towel in far from it with their recruitment yesterday I hope they achieve promotion they will have deserved it ..

They will have deserved it? Why for spending even more
Money when they already have a top 3 budget?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:16 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:So it seems our approach is just to see out the season with hope of not being dragged into the relegation zone and with the play-offs a step to far , so I can only applaud Bolton who despite being a point behind and played a game more are not throwing the towel in far from it with their recruitment yesterday I hope they achieve promotion they will have deserved it ..

Yeah. That’s the point isn’t it ? To better yourself ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:17 am

A disappointing day, Nigel said 3 in 2 out, ok, I know deals can be halted and situations change but now we are left with a shoe string strike force, one nasty injury and we are struggling.

Could there be an out of contract player we are talking too, who knows but I do worry.

Should we have dragged Knowles back, yes, maybe we should have IMO.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:18 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

It’s called ambition, we seem to have thrown the towel in to start again next season .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:23 am

I don’t see that we have thrown the towel in at all. We still have the mainstay of our team with all regular starters retained. We have added a player who offers playing style in line with our managers preferred system and strengthened our midfield. We have offloaded a couple of fringe players who didn’t fit in (with playing system) and have probably strengthened team bonding as everyone knows their place in the squad so no discontent in the camp.

We have goals throughout this team so don’t need a prolific goal scorer to get 15 more before the end of the season. Flitcroft missed out by disrupting the team at this point and it proved to be disastrous. We are the form team with the players we have and that will carry us upward, hopefully to the playoffs.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:26 am

Billy the fish wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It’s called ambition, we seem to have thrown the towel in to start again next season .

I think that's a bit harsh - it seems likely the deals we wanted to happen didn't for whatever reason. In real life it happens.

I've no big problem with Cook and Maynard going. The only thing I would have done is bring Jimmy Knowles back as I just don't see the point him being there.

I don't agree that Bolton deserve to go up anymore than anyone else.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:46 am

yorkstag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I think that's a bit harsh - it seems likely the deals we wanted to happen didn't for whatever reason. In real life it happens.

I've no big problem with Cook and Maynard going. The only thing I would have done is bring Jimmy Knowles back as I just don't see the point him being there.

I don't agree that Bolton deserve to go up anymore than anyone else.

The point I’m trying to make is we have the momentum top of the form league in div 4 then we decide to significantly weaken the squad to save money . To be Honest I would have released Maynard and Cook but only when suitable (better) replacements where in the building . Whatever people’s opinions on Maynard and Cook they are damn good players to have sitting on your bench .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:55 am

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Yeah. That’s the point isn’t it ? To better yourself ?

Why will they have deserved it though? Billy is suggesting that we have thrown the towel in by not splashing out yesterday. So will we not deserve it if we make the play offs?

Why will Bolton deserve it purely for throwing money at the problem?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:00 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Not sure he's always in the know, seems to blag a lot of what he posts about certain clubs.

Pear cider says he's already signed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:01 am

People are banging on about a lack of ambition, but let me make one point. Imagine the psychological impact this window will have on the likes of Bowery, Reid, McLoughlin, etc. They know they're the manager's men. He hasn't replaced them with his Burton old boys or brought in big money players. He's actually got rid of their main competition. He's rewarded Bowery and Reid for their form and attitude, while punishing that of Cook and Maynard who didn't want to be here. He's sent a message to the team. Apply yourself and do as I say and I'll stick with you, but if you're not interested then off you trot. I think the cleverness of what he's done has gone massively under the radar. He's wanted to protect our winning streak, which can often be harmed by big name new arrivals going straight into the line-up. Trust in the gaffer.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum