{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Salford signed Jordan Turnbull from Northampton. No nonsense CB.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Ashley Hunter and Jordan Turnbull are great signings for Salford. They are splashing the cash. They must be one of the favourites for League 2 next season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:28 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Ashley Hunter and Jordan Turnbull are great signings for Salford. They are splashing the cash. They must be one of the favourites for League 2 next season.

Heard that before...closer to home
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:07 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Let me think, who was fat and brought in a load of big money players ? That worked out well.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:33 pm

The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Let me think, who was fat and brought in a load of big money players ? That worked out well.

You keep pushing this narrative The One. There’s plenty of examples of clubs who have made impressive signings and also achieved success. Just because it hasn’t worked for us, doesn’t mean it can’t work.

Also, Evans never signed anyone as good as Henderson has been.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

You keep pushing this narrative The One. There’s plenty of examples of clubs who have made impressive signings and also achieved success. Just because it hasn’t worked for us, doesn’t mean it can’t work.

Also, Evans never signed anyone as good as Henderson has been.
Yes and maybe the Salford manager, having signed big money players, will see the job out and not be tempted by a job in China.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:23 am

The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It was hardly going poorly for Evans was it though? Just one defeat in the 21 games prior to his departure and Banging the door down on the top 3 at that stage. Fans love to make out Evans big spending was a complete disaster, and whilst it’s true that some signings didn’t work out the way we had hoped, ultimately he had us competing at the top end. Once he’d gone then it went south quickly.

Flitcroft also spent big and couldn’t have been closer to promotion.

Our large budget didn’t help Dempster because he was a useless manager, that ones simple.

Just because we didn’t quite make it doesn’t mean big spending should be dismissed. Granted it doesn’t guarantee anything, but if you have the right manager building a squad with it then it does give you a good chance of being at the top end of the table.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:27 am

BH_Stag wrote:
The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It was hardly going poorly for Evans was it though? Just one defeat in the 21 games prior to his departure and Banging the door down on the top 3 at that stage. Fans love to make out Evans big spending was a complete disaster, and whilst it’s true that some signings didn’t work out the way we had hoped, ultimately he had us competing at the top end. Once he’d gone then it went south quickly.

Flitcroft also spent big and couldn’t have been closer to promotion.

Our large budget didn’t help Dempster because he was a useless manager, that ones simple.

Just because we didn’t quite make it doesn’t mean big spending should be dismissed. Granted it doesn’t guarantee anything, but if you have the right manager building a squad with it then it does give you a good chance of being at the top end of the table.

Stop talking sense, it doesn't go down well on here :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:33 am

The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

As I said at the time, I think Evans signings showed he'd been away from league two level for a while... signed a lot of good names but players you would have wanted two maybe three years earlier. They were all out of form and not in their prime when he signed them, but still on big money... Diamond, Mirfin, Mellis, MacDonald, Potter etc

But Evans had us chasing down the top 3. Those signings with him as manager worked.... its how they all impacted the club after he left for china.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:39 am

What positions still need filling ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:19 am

The One wrote:What positions still need filling ?

Back up centre back, wide left player and a replacement for Cook should he move on.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 am

As I posted the potential team last week, feel it’s only right I update it now we have added 2 decent signings.

Stech
Riley Menayese Rawson Sweeney Benning
Clarke Charlsley
Maris
Rose Bowery

Better.
Last edited by lifestags on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 am

lifestags wrote:As I posted the potential team last week, feel it’s only right I update it now we have added 2 decent signings.

Stech
Riley Mayenese Rawson Sweeney Benning
Clarke Charlsley
Maris
Rose Bowery

Better.

Taking shape
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 am

In my opinion;
- Main striker. Expect Cook to move on to free up space.
- Another midfielder for the starting 11 to go with Clarke & Maris, probably more defensive minded.
- Centre half. Still need cover in that area.
- Left sided player. CJ replacement - If possible somebody that can play left back or left wing. A Colin Daniel type.

Will need another midfielder as well as the above if there’s any truth to the Clarke rumours and it’s long term.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:52 am

BH_Stag wrote:

In my opinion;
- Main striker. Expect Cook to move on to free up space.
- Another midfielder for the starting 11 to go with Clarke & Maris, probably more defensive minded.
- Centre half. Still need cover in that area.
- Left sided player. CJ replacement - If possible somebody that can play left back or left wing. A Colin Daniel type.

Will need another midfielder as well as the above if there’s any truth to the Clarke rumours and it’s long term.

Prosser still coming I wonder? Defence sorted then.

Solid midfielder and a winger and Id be happy.... oh and would be good to have Nicky back.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:11 am

CB, LB/LWB/LM, CM for me. I would be looking for a better striker also but not sure we will.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:27 am

MTFCMusings wrote:CB, LB/LWB/LM, CM for me. I would be looking for a better striker also but not sure we will.

I think Rosey will bag plenty of goals under this manager.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:46 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:CB, LB/LWB/LM, CM for me. I would be looking for a better striker also but not sure we will.

Same here.

i also think his preferred front two will be Rose and Reid.

Can see the likes of gibbens and chisholm being used in the centre back positions as back up too.

Heres a rumour ive been told today from a forest fan at work who reckons hes got contacts with there academy.

Jake Taylor might be coming on loan to us. Putting 2 + 2 together if Clarke is injured that might make sense.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:00 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Same here.

i also think his preferred front two will be Rose and Reid.

Can see the likes of gibbens and chisholm being used in the centre back positions as back up too.

Heres a rumour ive been told today from a forest fan at work who reckons hes got contacts with there academy.

Jake Taylor might be coming on loan to us. Putting 2 + 2 together if Clarke is injured that might make sense.

Taylor would be great for us. He was very good last season at Vale and chipped in with goals. He can also cover left-back which would tick that box. Get him signed.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:10 am

What’s happening with Knowles, he seemed good.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:13 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:What’s happening with Knowles, he seemed good.

He still is good, hes been on quite a few training pics released by the club.

Whats made you ask the question ??
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:15 am

lifestags wrote:As I posted the potential team last week, feel it’s only right I update it now we have added 2 decent signings.

Stech
Riley Menayese Rawson Sweeney Benning
Clarke Charlsley
Maris
Rose Bowery

Better.

Getting there, don't think it'll be Rose and Bowery together though. I'd expect Reid with Rose/Bowery
MTFC for life, always a yorkshire stag. COYS!!
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:28 am

Rose will be an asset under Coughlan, but we’ve seen over the years he’s prone to going long periods without a goal. Bowery never been prolific, and Reid is unproven at this level. They’ll all bring something to the table but would be a lot more comfortable personally if we replaced Maynard with somebody else who has a decent track record in the league (I know they come at a premium and they’re tough to get in).

With playing 2 up top we need at least 4 senior pro’s, with Knowles supporting that as the youth product. If Cook moves on we’ll have a decent budget to get another good forward in to fill that quota.

Looking forward to seeing Reid though, let’s hope he’s a gem. Seems to have his head screwed on unlike Ricky Miller so hopefully that stands him in good stead!

Jake Taylor would be a nice signing in midfield, was rated at Port Vale.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:30 am

Sedgwick wrote:
The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

As I said at the time, I think Evans signings showed he'd been away from league two level for a while... signed a lot of good names but players you would have wanted two maybe three years earlier. They were all out of form and not in their prime when he signed them, but still on big money... Diamond, Mirfin, Mellis, MacDonald, Potter etc

But Evans had us chasing down the top 3. Those signings with him as manager worked.... its how they all impacted the club after he left for china.

The problem with Evans signings is that he was like a kid in a sweet shop. If somebody gave him money he just bought everything he could and had no plan for how they would fit together.
His whole career has been like this. When he finds the 'winning formula' amongst his massive squad, the rest of the players, often on big wages, just get frozen out. This creates disharmony in the squad, but as soon as injuries or suspensions come into play these 'outcasts' are then expected to come in and perform.
Read 'The Journeyman' by Ben Smith for an insight into what it is like to be both an insider and an outsider in an Evans squad. Very enlightening.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum