{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Deadline Day

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:05 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Rob wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:This deadline day will be anticlimactic in relation to previous years. Thankfully the salary cap budget that clubs in league one and two has signed up for is bringing a reality check back to football.

Players sat on a big wage won’t be able to move clubs in the hope of being paid up and getting a similar amount elsewhere and clubs, as you would expect most are near the cap limits, won’t be able to throw money around to attract players. This new found financial responsibility means that clubs strategy will no longer be similar to ‘playing a game of brag with borrowed money’ more like ‘chase the ace where you all have the same amount to lose’.

This summer the impact will be more keenly felt by players than ever in league one and two. With pay days for players with their best years behind them or taking a chance on injury prone players a thing of the past.

Having said that, a 20 to 25 goals a season striker pulling on an Amber jersey from 1st February would be welcomed.

I agree with most of that but how do you know that most clubs are near the salary cap limit?

My guess would be that isn't the case.

The lack of transfer activity points towards this. If a side has a an amount of underspent budget, sooner than now would have been the time to use it and steal a march on the other sides. The league this season is tighter than normally so and any money spent now should result in advantage gained or improvement.

What is the thinking behind your case?

Just a guess really that clubs, particularly smaller ones, have tightened their budgets much more this season given the reduction in income. Of course many were left with players under contract but I suspect where there was fat it was trimmed. As I say, no evidence, just a guess.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:20 pm

The monies due from the premier league must be having an impact on transfers.
It would be wrong to take the money and spend it in the transfer market when staff are on reduced hours or furloughed.
Moving players on is also a problem this season.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:03 am

chip63 wrote:The monies due from the premier league must be having an impact on transfers.
It would be wrong to take the money and spend it in the transfer market when staff are on reduced hours or furloughed.

I thought taking the PL money meant you couldn’t do that ?

Might be wrong.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:20 am

bellwhiff wrote:
chip63 wrote:The monies due from the premier league must be having an impact on transfers.

I thought taking the PL money meant you couldn’t do that ?

Might be wrong.

that was only the "monitored grant" part. There was other money without those strings attached
https://stagsnet.net/news/newsdetails.php?newsid=9969
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Kernow » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:22 am

The fact that the National League may close down may make it difficult to move on players like O'Driscoll on.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Gloryboy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:15 am

I think the conversation went something like this.......
JR - do you think we’ve got enough to retain our status in league 2?
Cloughie - yes
JR - what do you think our chances are of making a push for the playoffs?
Cloughie - 60/40 against with current squad when factoring in injuries/Covid etc
JR - our income streams are severely hampered so how about we dispose of the higher wage earners (Cook etc) and regroup for 2021/22?
Cloughie- leave it to me boss
Gloryboy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:42 am

Gloryboy wrote:I think the conversation went something like this.......
JR - do you think we’ve got enough to retain our status in league 2?
Cloughie - yes
JR - what do you think our chances are of making a push for the playoffs?
Cloughie - 60/40 against with current squad when factoring in injuries/Covid etc
JR - our income streams are severely hampered so how about we dispose of the higher wage earners (Cook etc) and regroup for 2021/22?
Cloughie- leave it to me boss

Hello Newbie glad to have you on board :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Gloryboy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks. Very glad to be onboard - exciting times ahead under the stewardship of NC & co.
Gloryboy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Brough » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:09 pm

Akins surely in tomorrow?
Brough
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:17 pm

Brough wrote:Akins surely in tomorrow?

nothing on the Burton message board yet & they are normally pretty good, not long to wait & see
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:50 pm

Can see Akins being done in the summer. I would predict a couple of loan signings tomorrow.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:49 pm

"Leyton Orient have signed Rotherham United centre-back Adam Thompson. The 28-year-old has agreed a deal until the summer of 2022 having left Rotherham by mutual consent after 18 months. Thompson played 14 games for the Millers as they won promotion to the second tier last season, but has not played a game since League One was halted for Covid-19 in March. He also won promotion out of League Two with Bury in 2019."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:08 pm

In Burtons position I would not see them letting Akins go.Possibly in the summer.As Quinn and Akins are best mates and live in Sheffield I can see them both here next season.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:12 pm

lifestags wrote:Can see Akins being done in the summer. I would predict a couple of loan signings tomorrow.

I'd be more surprised if we don't sign him than if we do.

Sometimes it's just patience.

I think Lucas wants to come. I'm 99.99999%(recurring) sure we want him to come and looking at who Burton have signed in the window, they are probably better geared up to letting him go than they were earlier in the month.

I'm convinced we'll see 2 ins tomorrow.

I'm also convinced we'll be trying our hardest to get at least 2 out and hopefully playing games.

*edited to add, if he signs tomorrow it'll mean we're paying a nominal fee, if we wait until the summer we could add that fee to his package. It comes down to whether Nige sees value in getting him in now. I think he does.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:42 pm

We must obviously think a deal for Akins is possible. It was reported that we were interested at the start of the window, and the same journalist said we are still trying the other day. If it wasn’t likely I think we’d have moved on by now and as has been touched on, it’s probably been a case of waiting for them to get replacements in prior to him leaving. Agree with Broomo that I’d probably be more surprised if it didn’t materialise, but anything can happen in football! Should be an interesting day, looking forward to it.

Would expect him to operate on the right should it happen, and would quite like the other incoming to be a centre forward.

Edit: just seen ReluctantNicko has tweeted again. Burton after one more then Akins could go. Then goes on to say again we’ve been trying for weeks.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:22 pm

My prediction:

Winger/striker and a defender that can play in a couple of positions in.

Out: O’Keefe, Maynard, O’Driscoll
Last edited by lifestags on Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:53 pm

lifestags wrote:My prediction:

Winger/striker and a defender that can play on a couple of positions in.

Still obsessed with getting rid of Maynard then ?
As we have already let Cook go out on loan, and Clough has said Knowles is staying at County, it would make no sense at all to let another striker leave the club.
Even if we brought one in, as you are predicting, it would leave us with with only 3 strikers at the club, meaning any injury or suspension would see us with no striker on the bench. Can you really see Clough risking that situation ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:02 pm

I thought I saw a couple of posts saying Akins was virtually a done deal.

Not long to announce him if it's true.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Torrystag » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:09 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:

As we have already let Cook go out on loan, and Clough has said Knowles is staying at County, it would make no sense at all to let another striker leave the club.
Even if we brought one in, as you are predicting, it would leave us with with only 3 strikers at the club, meaning any injury or suspension would see us with no striker on the bench. Can you really see Clough risking that situation ?

Dont really think clough is impressed with maynard ,s performances since he came ,know they have been very limited but they have been poor ,as also been said akins is versatile so who knows
Torrystag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:09 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:

Yeah, as Broomo as touched upon before, Maynard is a poor sub and I don’t think he is ever going to start under Clough.

If he stays, I’ll support him, if we can get him in the same sort of form as last season then he is worth having around, only my opinion but I think if he can then Clough will get rid.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:16 pm

Clough knows the National League will be folding in the next couple of weeks and Jimmy will be coming back anyway. Why upset the apple cart and say he can’t stay if we want relationships between the clubs on a good footing?.

Don’t they have a young lad that has been attracting a lot of attention we may be interested in?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:36 pm

Thats it im done, tomorrow is another day
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:40 pm

lifestags wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

Yeah, as Broomo as touched upon before, Maynard is a poor sub and I don’t think he is ever going to start under Clough.

If he stays, I’ll support him, if we can get him in the same sort of form as last season then he is worth having around, only my opinion but I think if he can then Clough will get rid.

No disrespect to Broomo but his knowledge of Maynard is very limited and most of it has come from seeing a player getting limited minutes on the pitch and no reserve action so lacking in match fitness.
We all know what Maynard is capable of and it would be ridiculous to let him go without bringing in a replacement.
As SPBS has said, the NL might fold and Knowles come back at that point, but that is a big gamble that could easily backfire.
It wasn't that long ago that people on here were slating both Reid and Bowery, but now seem happy to have them as our main strikeforce.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Torrystag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

Dont really think clough is impressed with maynard ,s performances since he came ,know they have been very limited but they have been poor ,as also been said akins is versatile so who knows

If Akins comes in and Maynard goes out, we have 1 less striker than we did before the window with Cook having already gone. Is that really strong enough ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:55 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
lifestags wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

No disrespect to Broomo but his knowledge of Maynard is very limited and most of it has come from seeing a player getting limited minutes on the pitch and no reserve action so lacking in match fitness.
We all know what Maynard is capable of and it would be ridiculous to let him go without bringing in a replacement.
As SPBS has said, the NL might fold and Knowles come back at that point, but that is a big gamble that could easily backfire.
It wasn't that long ago that people on here were slating both Reid and Bowery, but now seem happy to have them as our main strikeforce.

I watched more than 80 games Maynard started in at various clubs and ALWAYS wanted Nige to sign him, even when he was out long term, when he came back and was available I wanted him signed. I watch a lot of players as soon as I think Nige may be sniffing around.

So my knowledge isn't THAT limited.

When a player comes on up front, especially when we're defending a lead. Nige wants 2 things first and foremost. He wants you to make a nuisance of yourself and run your balls off. Then he wants you to keep hold of the ball when you get it. Obviously a goal is a bonus.

I haven't seen Nicky do the first two on the occasions he gets on.

I do think he's still a natural finisher and I like him as a lad but I STILL would be comfortable letting him leave if we get a more energetic hard working frontman in.
broomo
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum