{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Matt Piper

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Matt Piper

Postby BilsthorpeStag » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Features this week on Undr the Cosh. Speaks very highly of the Stags from 48mins onward. I won’t spoil it for you...
BilsthorpeStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Matt Piper

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Always rated him as a player.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:01 pm

Yes he was good.

He also seems to have embedded himself in the background at Leicester which surprises me a little. I know he started off there before our loan spell but I always thought his main claim to fame came at Sunderland. I think he sustained his knee injury at Sunderland.

I believe he also had another trial with us a few years after his enforced retirement in an effort to get back into the game. Obviously it didn't work out which is a shame and he is a definite loss to the game.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Hard to believe he only played 8 games for us in that loan spell as I would have sworn he made more appearances than that.
Remember his debut away at Bristol Rovers on a Tuesday night. Rumour was that he was picked up at Leicester Forest services on the journey down and that was the first time he met the rest of the team. Despite having never trained with us he went straight into the starting line up and had a brilliant game that night. Way too good for our level and was only a matter of time till somebody gave him a chance at a higher level, but he contributed to our promotion season and we should always be grateful for that.
Terrible luck with injuries that forced an early retirement from the game, and ultimately could have cost him a lot more as he spiralled downwards after that, but thankfully he got himself back on track and is now involved with the Leicester academy.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Listened to part one last night, like the OP says he speaks very highly of the Stags and sums up how he feels about his time at the club in his first line when speaking about us... 'I raspberrying loved it there'.

Speaks very highly of some players, Lee Williamson in particular.

It's on Spotify for free now. Part 2 will be coming soon where we may get another mention as I'm sure he came back and trained with us around 2007ish before retiring.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby BilsthorpeStag » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:51 pm

BilsthorpeStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stoney » Fri May 01, 2020 10:04 pm

Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat May 02, 2020 2:42 pm

If my memory serves me right he was a Billy D signing and we wanted him back but his injury scuppered that.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum