{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players everyone seemed to boo but you thought wasn't bad

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Players everyone seemed to boo but you thought wasn't bad

Postby jay the butcher » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 pm

My nomination is Andy Roscoe no world beater by any means but didn't deserve to be ridiculed the way he was interested to see some of your picks
jay the butcher
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Players everyone seemed to boo but you thought wasn't b

Postby jpstags » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:52 pm

Andy White
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:40 pm

jpstags wrote:Andy White

I still think Andy White was not given enough credit by most stags fans and was disappointed when he moved on to Crewe. He won the vital match against Cheltenham for us in the last league promotion season with a man of the match performance.

Fans forget he was still a relatively young man when he was here and expected him to be the finished article far too early in his career. I think he is still working locally possibly for the NHS.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Ali Asher & James Jennings come to mind.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:32 pm

Logan!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:10 pm

Tomlinson . not be a worldbeater but he is not as bad as some make out
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 pm

I always thought Larkin came in for a lot of unwarranted grief from the fans.
It didn't help that he got inured early on after Haslam claimed we had blown all the transfer budget on him, despite us only actually paying about a third of the amount Haslam claimed due to the rest being based on various clauses.
When he actually had a decent run in the side at the beginning of 2004/05 he had a sequence of 7 goals in 9 games, and then Curle in his wisdom decided to bring in Ipoua on loan and stick Larkin out on the wing !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby spizz fan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 am

ian stringfellow always aimed abuse at, then he would score lol
Stag for life not just for Wembley
spizz fan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby James » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 am

Definitely Andy White. Was an important player for us in the 01/02 season when Greenacre’s goals dried up.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:38 am

Stewart Hadley.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:55 am

Tom Curtis :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:09 am

Amber Andy wrote:Stewart Hadley.

Cannot remember fans booing Hadley????
In fact I thought he was a fan's favourite?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Stewart Hadley.

Cannot remember fans booing Hadley????
In fact I thought he was a fan's favourite?

When he first signed for us from Derby he took awhile to get up to speed ( he was a trainee at Derby ). Several fans used to get on his back.
Although he wasn't prolific, 33 goals in 143 games, I always thought he looked the part.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:02 am

spainmick wrote:Tomlinson . not be a worldbeater but he is not as bad as some make out

I think Tomlinson struggled for fitness until GC arrived, he has ability but lacked staying power for more than 60 mins.
He now seems to have engaged with the new training regime and has benefitted accordingly.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:43 am

Blair Sturrock (had a terrible team around him who weren’t on his wavelength. Not saying he was great, but got lots of unwarranted stick).
Also I remember lots of stick for Ian Stringfellow. I didn’t think he was that bad at all when I was a wee teen.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 am

Tyrone Thompson. Always remembered for his amazing own goal, but although he wasn't a good player he was a real grafter it whe worst Mansfield Town team ever seen.

I have a bit of sympathy for most of that team really, okay they were rubbish but they were all we could afford at the time ad I think most of them genuinely did their best.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:04 am

Anthony Howell could be another one. Got a lot of stick but thought he was a complete warrior.

Feel he was very much a certain type of player in the sense that he was perfect when the weather was raspberries and you had a pudding of a pitch - always thought he would have done well at Newport! - but not when the pitch was decent and the opposition ran at you fast playing passing football.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:08 am

adamstag wrote:Anthony Howell could be another one. Got a lot of stick but thought he was a complete warrior.

Feel he was very much a certain type of player in the sense that he was perfect when the weather was raspberries and you had a pudding of a pitch - always thought he would have done well at Newport! - but not when the pitch was decent and the opposition ran at you fast playing passing football.

I like Howell, he was a great Conference player, but the league seemed a bit too much for him. His performance in the Liverpool game was outstanding.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:02 am

Sneag wrote:
adamstag wrote:Anthony Howell could be another one. Got a lot of stick but thought he was a complete warrior.

I like Howell, he was a great Conference player, but the league seemed a bit too much for him. His performance in the Liverpool game was outstanding.

I think it’s because cox mismanaged him that season - as said had he played him in certain games rather than all - he would have done better I think.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:07 am

spainmick wrote:Tomlinson . not be a worldbeater but he is not as bad as some make out

vaslty improved. Came in with a good rep. Very slow start but getting better. didnt deserver booing
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm

Chander Lear wrote:

vaslty improved. Came in with a good rep. Very slow start but getting better. didnt deserver booing

Him and bishop playing together clearly doesn’t work which didn’t help the situation
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm

The thing with Tomlinson is he needed a good professional pre season in him. He arrived February last year with an injury (or that could have just been Ben Turner) and was low on fitness. Now, this season it's well documented our fitness hasn't been up to snuff and pre-season has been labelled as poor. His pass for Rose's goal vs Carlisle and his goal vs Northampton are good examples of what he can do. Question is, can he keep it up? Once the season is back underway.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Matt Rhead. He always use to get stick. His job was to win headers/flick on's, hold the ball up and cause defenders chaos with his strength. But because he wasn't scoring goals the fans got on to him. As well he was never a 90 minute player, so was always blowing and he got stick for that.

The same could be said for Calvin Andrew, brilliant footballer, held the ball up well and laid it off, he would do that all game. Mansfield fans never would see this during a game because he didnt score goals.

(Non Stags Player) - Richard Brodie.

Fantastic striker at York, 50 goals in 130 games says it all. He would upset the oppositions fans and would thrive of that. Always got a hostile reception at Field Mill :lol:
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby daddycool » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Slackythestag wrote:Matt Rhead. He always use to get stick. His job was to win headers/flick on's, hold the ball up and cause defenders chaos with his strength. But because he wasn't scoring goals the fans got on to him. As well he was never a 90 minute player, so was always blowing and he got stick for that.

The same could be said for Calvin Andrew, brilliant footballer, held the ball up well and laid it off, he would do that all game. Mansfield fans never would see this during a game because he didnt score goals.

(Non Stags Player) - Richard Brodie.

Fantastic striker at York, 50 goals in 130 games says it all. He would upset the oppositions fans and would thrive of that. Always got a hostile reception at Field Mill :lol:

Calvin Andrews ! ,I think you have been listening to your Grandad mr slack
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby kwambo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:50 pm

John doolan and aidy boothroyd from when I was younger stand out. Jd always seemed to do the donkey work for others. Thought was a good team player. Boothroyd always used to give 100% which is all u could ask even if there wasn’t a lot of end product.

Another one in same category as aidy was Jamie Clarke. Tried hard but was tasked with replacing bobby hassell. Was always going to struggle with that but was happy for him when scored at Blackpool I think it was
kwambo
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum