{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:36 pm

wardy12345 wrote:Will some of the players be out of contact before all the games are played with this delay.

If the season is abandoned are teams still promoted and relegated on the current league standings, and what happens to teams in the playoffs.

No one can answer these questions at the moment. There is a lot to be worked out.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby spanishstag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:15 pm

All bars and restaurants closed for 15 days here hope no ones booked benidorm
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:26 pm

spanishstag wrote:All bars and restaurants closed for 15 days here hope no ones booked benidorm

I’d never wish anyone to book Benidorm.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:49 pm

includes info on ticket refunds

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby victor A block » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 pm

spanishstag wrote:All bars and restaurants closed for 15 days here hope no ones booked benidorm

Not all Spain , just hot spots oop North and Madrid
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:08 pm

I think, as per the government advice, the matches could continue and review the situation ongoing.

The EFL have stopped matches for 3 weeks, well what's going to change in the next 3 weeks, it's probably going to be worse!

If, as the government advise the peak is 10/14 weeks away then the season would have already have finished.

Stags being postponed and Notts Co & Alfreton playing tomorrow makes a mockery of the situation.

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:I think, as per the government advice, the matches could continue and review the situation ongoing.

The EFL have stopped matches for 3 weeks, well what's going to change in the next 3 weeks, it's probably going to be worse!

If, as the government advise the peak is 10/14 weeks away then the season would have already have finished.

Stags being postponed and Notts Co & Alfreton playing tomorrow makes a mockery of the situation.

This... Given the anticipated peak the games have been cancelled far too soon probably will have e a minimal effect on the spread of the virus. Its also pathetic that notts county, wrexham and Stockport all have similar attendances to us but will still be playing tomorrow.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:I think, as per the government advice, the matches could continue and review the situation ongoing.

This... Given the anticipated peak the games have been cancelled far too soon probably will have e a minimal effect on the spread of the virus. Its also pathetic that notts county, wrexham and Stockport all have similar attendances to us but will still be playing tomorrow.

Re the game cencellations - Not the case IMO. The authorities are trying to delay the peak to alliveate the burden on the NHS. This way they can flatten the spike. They also want to delay the peak to the summer when people are outside more and in the hope that the virus reduces in the summer like seasonal flu.

A way to slow the spread is to stop the need for travel, football matches for example.

The idea is that going full on lockdown won't work if they do it too early because people will get bored and ignore it, and the disease might spike again. Problem is, going nuclear early on does work. Look what they did in Japan and s.Korea. I hope BoJo has got this right.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:03 pm

I don't get the whole 'lock down too early & the public will get bored' argument. If events are cancelled, then you ain't going, it doesn't matter how bored you get.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:13 pm

Sneag wrote:I don't get the whole 'lock down too early & the public will get bored' argument. If events are cancelled, then you ain't going, it doesn't matter how bored you get.

Agreed.

Surely the boredom of not watching Mansfield must be better than the boredom of watching them?

If there was one season something like this should happen it’s very much this. When and if this season is finished this season should never be spoken of ever again - under the punishment of death.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:14 pm

It'd probably peak sooner if no action is taken. People in this country are stupid and would attend football games if they developed symptoms.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:52 pm

All mass gatherings look like they will be banned tomorrow or shortly after.

I may be wrong but I don’t think this season will get finished, at least not in a proper way.

All the current predictions seem to show that we are in this for the long haul, maybe over 3 months. Given the season finishes officially at the start of May it’s hard to see how that can be done.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:08 pm

It will be interesting if the season is already finished and the status quo is maintained for next season.

Would it mean that league 1 will complete another season with 23 teams and there was again only one relegation spot from League 2?

Following on from that would county and Barnet keep their parachute payments for another year?

I honestly can't see how how promotions or relegations could take place if the fixtures are abandoned with almost a quarter of the season left to play.

It will be a headache for the various authorities to work out and some teams will be upset whatever happens.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:30 am

All games we'll be played before or finished before June 1st.
They are trying to give time to allow (revenue) supporters in.. No chance!

All games we'll be played behind closed doors with cameras etc.. For a little bit of revenue.
How long it takes to agree monies to suppliers of streaming etc.. Might take a little longer.
Take it or leave it.

chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:38 am

MTFCMAD wrote:

Those numbers could significantly increase as EFL fans could decide to go to National League games rather than go shopping with the Mrs.

I suppose it's a case of where do you draw the line.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:34 am

victor A block wrote:

Not all Spain , just hot spots oop North and Madrid

No valencian region in the south east
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:35 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It will be interesting if the season is already finished and the status quo is maintained for next season.

Would it mean that league 1 will complete another season with 23 teams and there was again only one relegation spot from League 2?

Following on from that would county and Barnet keep their parachute payments for another year?

I honestly can't see how how promotions or relegations could take place if the fixtures are abandoned with almost a quarter of the season left to play.

It will be a headache for the various authorities to work out and some teams will be upset whatever happens.

You'd have to feel sorry for Livarpool. 100 points clear at top of Prem needing another couple of wins to win their first title for ny on 30 years and then it's all cancelled. You'd feel sorry 4 em wouldn't you? :hysteria:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:25 am

Complete guesswork, but I would think that if they can’t bring the season to a suitable conclusion by June then they’ll have to void the season. With contracts running out at that time meaning players could in theory walk away and the implications further delay would have on next season (and the subsequent knock-on thereafter) I’m not sure they’ll be able to come to any other conclusion.

Whether that’s right or wrong I don’t really know in these circumstances, but I think there’s going to be some very upset clubs rather soon.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:33 am

Spiritater wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It will be interesting if the season is already finished and the status quo is maintained for next season.

You'd have to feel sorry for Livarpool. 100 points clear at top of Prem needing another couple of wins to win their first title for ny on 30 years and then it's all cancelled. You'd feel sorry 4 em wouldn't you? :hysteria:

Absolutely not.

They’ve become unbearable in the last couple of years.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:39 am

My view, for what it's worth.

The season is undoubtedly over, scientific experts were last night predicting and hoping for an end to this crisis come next Autumn.

So what happens now in the EFL, what could be the options?

1) Cancel season 2019/20, as if it had never happened.
2) Decide promotion and relegation by dividing points gained by matches played and multiplying by 46, not great but at least the outcome would be a fair reflection on the season.
And
3) The Premiership clubs bail out L1 and L2 clubs helping to counter the loss of 5 maybe six home games?

I can see no point in prolonging the season, it has to end and the virus is going nowhere soon.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:17 am

Football has to start again even if it is in October, so just continue the season then. When the ‘season’ of fixtures is completed then see how much of the 20/21 season is left and schedule fixtures. Perhaps reduced fixtures by not playing paint pot cup and League Cup and FACup replays.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Reg Holdsworth » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:18 am

Yeah, I think the season is well and truly over.

We did some predictive population modelling at work this week and the UK spike in cases will be in May - June, with millions of people in the UK ill at that point; so I can’t see any room for catching up football-wise in April as things get gradually worse between now and the spike.

Even delaying the spike until the summer shows that demand for NHS ventilators and the like will massively, massively outweigh likely supply even with additional investment, and in reality the curve ideally needs flattening over a number of years to ensure resources can meet demand ..... although the introduction of a vaccine at some point will hopefully change the picture substantially.

Unprecedented times indeed.
Reg Holdsworth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:25 am

I can't see Premiership clubs subsidising leagues 1 and 2. They will have lost money this year and will want to strengthen to ensure survival when foot ball starts again.

I think they are more likely to use it to support their casual employees (stewards, cleaners etc) who may look for other work if they have no income for 5 months.

We can all speculate but will just have to sit tight and let the saga unfold.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:31 am

Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Will the Conf see it through to the end of t'season? Can't see it myself. At some point they'll have to stop.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum