{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Sneag wrote:I don't get the whole 'lock down too early & the public will get bored' argument. If events are cancelled, then you ain't going, it doesn't matter how bored you get.

I don’t think it’s the bored thing so much. The spread through the community needs to be managed as much as possible. Doing it now would overburden the NHS when it’s stretched already due to winter flu

Personally I’ve been working flat out to get the business for to operate if we send back office workers home. Unfortunately the most visible part of the business involves rescuing people who have broken down.

I heard that schools are closing next Friday too.

I’m supposed to be in Gloucester three weeks today for the Army v RAF rugby. We’ve all decided we are still going on the lash whether the game is on or not.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:49 pm

part time pete wrote:

Hope we cooked curry for the players
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It will be interesting if the season is already finished and the status quo is maintained for next season.

Would it mean that league 1 will complete another season with 23 teams and there was again only one relegation spot from League 2?

Following on from that would county and Barnet keep their parachute payments for another year?

I honestly can't see how how promotions or relegations could take place if the fixtures are abandoned with almost a quarter of the season left to play.

It will be a headache for the various authorities to work out and some teams will be upset whatever happens.

You'd have to feel sorry for Livarpool. 100 points clear at top of Prem needing another couple of wins to win their first title for ny on 30 years and then it's all cancelled. You'd feel sorry 4 em wouldn't you? :hysteria:

Absolutely not.

They’ve become unbearable in the last couple of forevers.

Fixed

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Spiritater wrote:Will the Conf see it through to the end of t'season? Can't see it myself. At some point they'll have to stop.

3 games already gone due to virus fears
Sorry 6 now
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:45 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:I don't get the whole 'lock down too early & the public will get bored' argument. If events are cancelled, then you ain't going, it doesn't matter how bored you get.

I don’t think it’s the bored thing so much. The spread through the community needs to be managed as much as possible. Doing it now would overburden the NHS when it’s stretched already due to winter flu

Personally I’ve been working flat out to get the business for to operate if we send back office workers home. Unfortunately the most visible part of the business involves rescuing people who have broken down.

I’m supposed to be in Gloucester three weeks today for the Army v RAF rugby. We’ve all decided we are still going on the lash whether the game is on or not.

Thanks for the life story
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:24 pm

Alistair Smith has collapsed with a fever, in isolation for a week.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:30 pm

lifestags wrote:Alistair Smith has collapsed with a fever, in isolation for a week.

Hopefully he’s ok.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:51 pm

BigGuy wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Thanks for the life story

You’re welcome. I thought you’d be interested seeing as you don’t have one.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:11 pm

Well we not be able to sing sweet Caroline for a while.
“Touching hands “ “Reaching out ‘
“Touching me ! “ touching you !!“ :lol:
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:39 pm

Watched Alfreton today. Often go when MTFC are playing too far away.
As usual got a row of seats to ourselves so it was as good as isolation.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:37 am

Amberheart wrote:Well we not be able to sing sweet Caroline for a while.
“Touching hands “ “Reaching out ‘
“Touching me ! “ touching you !!“ :lol:

Thank God for that.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:20 pm

Football League chief calls for 'cool heads' over virus chaos
English Football League (EFL) chairman Rick Parry has called for "cool heads" as he wrestles with the dilemma of how to finish the season with the coronavirus wreaking havoc.

The second-tier Championship, League One and League Two last week suspended play until April 3 at the earliest in response to the pandemic.

Clubs are awaiting guidance on how to proceed, with concerns spiralling over the potential financial damage to smaller teams if the season is not able to finish.

There is also the issue of promotion and relegation to resolve if games cannot be completed. A potential cancellation of Euro 2020 would open a window in the summer to wrap up the domestic season.

If that is not possible, there have been reports the current top two in the Championship - Leeds and West Bromwich Albion - would be promoted to the Premier League.

That could trigger bitter legal action if clubs are unhappy they did not get the chance to complete potential promotion-winning campaigns themselves.

All the speculation has led to an alarmist atmosphere around the English game but, with the EFL board set to meet for a further update on Wednesday, former Liverpool chief executive Parry urged teams to stay calm.

"These are indeed challenging times for the league, its clubs and the game as a whole," Parry said. "However, now is the time for cool heads and calm reflection rather than speculation as we look to steer our competitions and clubs through this period of uncertainty."
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Wow he told you all that!
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:27 pm

BigGuy wrote:Wow he told you all that!

Off Telegraph update page 2.17pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... oll-cases/
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:30 pm

Cant see football being played again.... season will be classed a null/ void and will start again next season.

I imagine there might be some upset with contracts if players have clauses regarding promotion etc
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Cant see football being played again.... season will be classed a null/ void and will start again next season.

I imagine there might be some upset with contracts if players have clauses regarding promotion etc

Good. I didnt care much for this season anyway...

if we essentially start the season again with no ups and downs, I do hope that teams with points deductions at least carry them over, a la Bolton and Macclesfield.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:58 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Cant see football being played again.... season will be classed a null/ void and will start again next season.

if we essentially start the season again with no ups and downs, I do hope that teams with points deductions at least carry them over, a la Bolton and Macclesfield.

It should be exactly as the start of this season so if points were deducted for misdemeanours from 2018/2019, they should be re-imposed. If they were imposed for wrongdoing in 2019/2020 they should be expunged along with the rest of the results. It wouldn't be fair to impose penalties for games which didn't theoretically take place. That may not sit well with some but I can't see how you could do it differently.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:59 pm

Can't believe the NL hasn't pulled the plug yet!

Just announced it's pulled it
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:47 pm

These are some of the reasons why the season will be finished. Lawsuits waiting to happen.

Liverpool a title, Sheff Utd first ever european campaign, Leeds/West Brom promotion (£90m+), Barrow return to the league and that's just the start.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:58 pm

How are clubs going to survive.
It's going to be at least to the end of summer and maybe next year.
Nobody is going to buy a season ticket for next season if we are still on lockdown with events.
It's a very uncertain future for everyone.
Good luck to all, wether football or every other business.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:35 am

The question for me is how many of those teams will even survive to next season?

Plenty of teams that have been saying that missing on gate receipts is a disaster and a few are already struggling to make ends meet, so will this years promotion and relegation at the bottom of the leagues be decided by who’s left to play next year?
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:23 am

chip63 wrote:How are clubs going to survive.
It's going to be at least to the end of summer and maybe next year.
Nobody is going to buy a season ticket for next season if we are still on lockdown with events.
It's a very uncertain future for everyone.
Good luck to all, wether football or every other business.

Like every other person, the people will just get limited sick pay. The players and staff will unfortunaltey have to suck it up, as the rest of the world will. Not nice times ahead for anyone unfortunlatey.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sheffieldstag » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:24 am

Maybe footballers on their large salaries can take a temporary pay cut as many people working are and will be gaving to?
Sheffieldstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Stoney » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Now postponed until end of April.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:48 pm

They should stop pretending they can finish the season and pull the plug now.

A few clubs will suffer but an equal number will gain and the biggest majority will be uneffected.

By insisting on finishing the season they will only impact on next year and bring uncertainty for players who will be out of contract and moving on.

I can't see how it can be a normal scenario when teams are playing two or three games a week risking injury to players and extra cost to supporters who may be on their bootstraps anyway. Results will be effected and the final standings skewed anyway so why not just accept the situation and concentrate on next year?

Besides it would ensure another season in the death pit for the Bedwetters which is definitely a bonus
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum