{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Whatever happened to testimonial matches?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Whatever happened to testimonial matches?

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:52 pm

At this period of not a lot happening, my mind began to wander (happens a lot these days) and it occurred to me that I haven't been to a testimonial match for quite a number of years.

It was once commonplace for players to be granted testimonial matches as a reward for good service as they were at the end of their playing careers but never seems to happen these days.

Maybe it is a result of players earning higher wages or maybe they don't stay at clubs long enough these days, but I can't remember the last one at the stags.

Anyone have any idea So?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Whatever happened to testimonial matches?

Postby MOTG » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:At this period of not a lot happening, my mind began to wander (happens a lot these days) and it occurred to me that I haven't been to a testimonial match for quite a number of years.

It was once commonplace for players to be granted testimonial matches as a reward for good service as they were at the end of their playing careers but never seems to happen these days.

Maybe it is a result of players earning higher wages or maybe they don't stay at clubs long enough these days, but I can't remember the last one at the stags.

Anyone have any idea So?

I was only thinking something similar last week myself but what started that was some posts about current players having been great servants to the club .(Forgot which ones ) As best I can recall players would get a testimonial after appx 10 years service?
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:14 pm

Last game (maybe not testermonial ?). Was when we played Hull and Waggy was given an award.

Did we play one for Bobby Hasell? Not sure about this.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 pm

The One wrote:Last game (maybe not testermonial ?). Was when we played Hull and Waggy was given an award.

Couple of years back wasn’t it I think, away to Barnsley
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:40 pm

The One wrote:Last game (maybe not testermonial ?). Was when we played Hull and Waggy was given an award.

Mansfield played a testimonial for Bobby Hassell for his time at Barnsley. It was in 2015

The most recent testimonial for a player for his time at Mansfield was Rhys Day in 2012.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:46 pm

I can recall Rhys Day game.

The last one I remember before that was Kevin Bird testimonial against Aston Villa. Frank Worthington played too.

I always wondered why we did not have one for Rod Arnold though?
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:56 pm

Chris M wrote:I can recall Rhys Day game.

The last one I remember before that was Kevin Bird testimonial against Aston Villa. Frank Worthington played too.

I always wondered why we did not have one for Rod Arnold though?

According to Rod himself he had a testimonial season but not a testimonial due to the miners strike.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:34 pm

Think there’s a couple of reasons.

There’s very few players who stay at a club long enough to earn one these days.

Also, they were generally to raise funds for a players retirement as I understood, now a lot of players are so wealthy they don’t need one.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:28 am

I think, in general, testimonial matches are a joke and an insult to the fans.

OK, a guy plays for such as the Stags for 10 years, he maybe deserves a testimonial but then you get the likes of Wayne Rooney etc who have a testimonial and gives each player taking part a gold Rolex watch as a thank you.

Makes a mockery of the whole business.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:11 am

oldweststander wrote:I think, in general, testimonial matches are a joke and an insult to the fans.

OK, a guy plays for such as the Stags for 10 years, he maybe deserves a testimonial but then you get the likes of Wayne Rooney etc who have a testimonial and gives each player taking part a gold Rolex watch as a thank you.

The money raised from testimonials for the likes of Wayne Rooney will go to charity, not in to his own back pocket. Also, it’s really his prerogative if he wants to give the other players a watch, at the end of the day their appearance will help sell tickets too , with the money going to a good cause as I say.

I’ve personally no issue with somebody like Rooney having a testimonial considering he’s England & Uniteds highest ever goalscorer.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:39 pm

i think Mazza deserved one
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:44 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
I’ve personally no issue with somebody like Rooney having a testimonial considering he’s England & Uniteds highest ever goalscorer.

And also services to old peoples homes.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 pm

BigGuy wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

And also services to old peoples homes.

To be fair to Wayne, he didn’t give those old ladies a Rolex watch. Just a pearl necklace by all accounts.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:51 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I think, in general, testimonial matches are a joke and an insult to the fans.

The money raised from testimonials for the likes of Wayne Rooney will go to charity, not in to his own back pocket. Also, it’s really his prerogative if he wants to give the other players a watch, at the end of the day their appearance will help sell tickets too , with the money going to a good cause as I say.

This.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:32 pm

I remember a game in around 1994/95 when we played at home to Forest and drew 3-3.
Stan Collymore scored a couple of goals including a worldie and was unplayable.
Not sure if it was a standard pre season friendly but something in the back of my mind is moving me towards it being a testimonial?
Anyone remember any details?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:43 pm

ST4GS wrote:I remember a game in around 1994/95 when we played at home to Forest and drew 3-3.
Stan Collymore scored a couple of goals including a worldie and was unplayable.
Not sure if it was a standard pre season friendly but something in the back of my mind is moving me towards it being a testimonial?
Anyone remember any details?

report here: https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/joeeatontestim.htm
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby steiner » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:50 pm

Would love it if the club could arrange a testimonial for Dave Smith while he is still around.. Put together the greatest team in the clubs history.. If the Bishop St was ever re devolped would be nice to name it after him.. A true club legend if ever there was one.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:25 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

If it goes to charity then OK.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:39 pm

oldweststander wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

If it goes to charity then OK.

...... and you simply can’t have too many gold Rolex watches, can you?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Trenam » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:29 pm

Sandy pate was my best testimonial, I think it was against derby county,they paraded the 1st. Div cup and we the 4th cup, full house Dave smith days, magic.1946/47 stag :mtfc:
Trenam
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Trenam wrote:Sandy pate was my best testimonial, I think it was against derby county,they paraded the 1st. Div cup and we the 4th cup, full house Dave smith days, magic.1946/47 stag :mtfc:

That game vs Derby, report here: https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/derby75.htm
Beat the Div 1 champions. What days they were. (It was actually the Joe Eaton testimonial, the second of two for him! Sandy Pate testimonial was against Nottm Forest in 1978.)
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bros » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:10 am

I remember Sandys testimonial when Cloughie brought his European Cup winning squad and they thrashed us 6 1 I believe with John McClelland scoring our goal before he was converted into an international centre back. Sandy did a slow lap of honour afterwards although he sprinted past the Forest fans to the amusement of everybody. Well done to Cloughie for bringing a full team and taking it seriously
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Bros wrote:I remember Sandys testimonial when Cloughie brought his European Cup winning squad and they thrashed us 6 1 I believe with John McClelland scoring our goal before he was converted into an international centre back. Sandy did a slow lap of honour afterwards although he sprinted past the Forest fans to the amusement of everybody. Well done to Cloughie for bringing a full team and taking it seriously

I actuality spoke to Clough outside the back of the West Stand. He was just stood there. Think I was just turning 15. Great night that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum