{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan post match

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:23 pm

adamstag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Maldon Stag wrote:He looks a broken man, the same broken man that did that interview at Ipswich prior to him walking out on Bristol Rovers.

I’d be a broken man attempting to get this lot of overpaid, average footballers to win games.

Roll on the summer.

God himself couldn’t manage that bunch of overpaid spineless raspberries. Id count on one hand who is keep out of this squad.

Though the results and football hasn’t been ideal, he’s kept us clear of relegation while getting rid of some of the higher paid players at the same time. Whereas he’s hardly set the world alight, I’m sure he’s already got plenty of plans for who’s coming in and what he wants to do.
I'm not sure we can give him much credit for keeping " us clear of relegation". He's not won many games has he ? The main reason we are clear is that only one team goes down and Stevenage are unbelievably worse than us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Maldon Stag wrote:He looks a broken man, the same broken man that did that interview at Ipswich prior to him walking out on Bristol Rovers.

I’d be a broken man attempting to get this lot of overpaid, average footballers to win games.

Roll on the summer.

God himself couldn’t manage that bunch of overpaid spineless raspberries. Id count on one hand who is keep out of this squad.

Though the results and football hasn’t been ideal, he’s kept us clear of relegation while getting rid of some of the higher paid players at the same time. Whereas he’s hardly set the world alight, I’m sure he’s already got plenty of plans for who’s coming in and what he wants to do.
I'm not sure we can give him much credit for keeping " us clear of relegation". He's not won many games has he ? The main reason we are clear is that only one team goes down and Stevenage are unbelievably worse than us.

So you're saying were doing better than Stevenage? thats keeping us clear of relegation then isn't it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Re: Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:21 pm

Sedgwick wrote:next 6 games be lucky to get 3 points.. long few weeks ahead.

Next 6 games are Swindon(H), Northampton (A), Crewe (H), Salford (A), Walsall (H) and Colchester (A). How many points will we get from those games, we might scrape a win against Walsall and that’s about it. Let’s just hope Stevenage don’t close the gap in that period or it’s going to get very tense towards the end of the season.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:21 pm

i think 3 more wins will see us ok.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Hitchcocks size 10s wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:next 6 games be lucky to get 3 points.. long few weeks ahead.

Next 6 games are Swindon(H), Northampton (A), Crewe (H), Salford (A), Walsall (H) and Colchester (A). How many points will we get from those games, we might scrape a win against Walsall and that’s about it. Let’s just hope Stevenage don’t close the gap in that period or it’s going to get very tense towards the end of the season.

Stevenage next 6

Walsall (H)
Crewe (A)
Newport (H)
Swindon (H)
Morecambe (A)
Scunthorpe (H)
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:33 pm

I fancy us to get at least 7 points out if those games. We are becoming more and more resilient and continue to get scoring chances and I reckon we'll upset the top 6 a bit
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:12 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

Roll on the summer.

So you're saying were doing better than Stevenage? thats keeping us clear of relegation then isn't it.

I'm saying that the reason we will escape relegation is because only one team will go down and Stevenage arnt improving. To credit GC with keeping us clear of relegation is stretching things a lot. Given the circumstances (of Bury and Stevenage) had we have kept JD we would not have been relegated.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Hitchcocks size 10s wrote:i think 3 more wins will see us ok.

As previously stated, we are safe now
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:40 am

I back CG but results have been poor and continue to be a bit poor if we are honest and like others had Stevenage and a few other of the bottom runners had been winning a few as well we would have been in a fine mess.
Hoping we can limp over the line and re group but he has been there long enough now to have made more of a difference in my view.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:58 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Says it as it is , but to us when he came in it was to save our league status and hopefully in a few games it will be confirmed.

Be great to give jimmy knowles his head and see what he can do the rest of the season :)

Brutal executioner by any chance, SFL? :lol:

I can see the logic, and while i agree with some that we are probably safe, for a manager to give Jimmy an extended trial before being 'mathematically safe' could result in GC signing his own death warrant, should the absolute worst happen. For now, only put him on when the result is beyond question (imo)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:48 pm

I'm sorry but this group of players are better than their position and it is down to both managers, as well as the players, that we are where we are. We have to see more Coughlan. I havent seen much to suggest this is a manager capable of promotion.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:54 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:I'm sorry but this group of players are better than their position and it is down to both managers, as well as the players, that we are where we are. We have to see more Coughlan. I havent seen much to suggest this is a manager capable of promotion.

You mean this group of players that have bottled it for the last year? They hit relegation form in Feb last season.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:42 pm

The One wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:I'm sorry but this group of players are better than their position and it is down to both managers, as well as the players, that we are where we are. We have to see more Coughlan. I havent seen much to suggest this is a manager capable of promotion.

You mean this group of players that have bottled it for the last year? They hit relegation form in Feb last season.

Exactly. Everyone attributes the poor season to Dempster when in reality we were rank from Feb like the one says.

As for not seeing a manager capable of promotion, he pushed Bristol rovers to 4th in the league before he left. Look where they are now. He needs new players to fit his system, and fresh players that don't have two years of play off/promotion bottles. We haven't had that new manager bounce, but I bet his remit would've been to keep us up and rebuild and go again in the summer.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:59 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
The One wrote:

Exactly. Everyone attributes the poor season to Dempster when in reality we were rank from Feb like the one says

As for not seeing a manager capable of promotion, he pushed Bristol rovers to 4th in the league before he left. Look where they are now. He needs new players to fit his system, and fresh players that don't have two years of play off/promotion bottles. We haven't had that new manager bounce, but I bet his remit would've been to keep us up and rebuild and go again in the summer.

Do not let his rant get in the way of facts Bobby :)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:29 am

Hilars
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:34 pm

The One wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
The One wrote:

Exactly. Everyone attributes the poor season to Dempster when in reality we were rank from Feb like the one says

As for not seeing a manager capable of promotion, he pushed Bristol rovers to 4th in the league before he left.
Look where they are now. He needs new players to fit his system, and fresh players that don't have two years of play off/promotion bottles. We haven't had that new manager bounce, but I bet his remit would've been to keep us up and rebuild and go again in the summer.

Do not let his rant get in the way of facts Bobby :)

It's hardly a rant.... I thought I was quite concise and just have a different opinion.

CG taking Bristol Rovers to 4th doesnt really mean a lot. Flitcroft had us higher and didn't get us up.

Finishing in the playoffs having bottled the automatics is a world away from where we are now and my point is that the group of players is largely the same. I want GC to do well but haven't seen anything yet to make me think that next season we will be up there. I think we will be better organised and finish higher in the league than this season but don't see the type of impact that Evans had that made me quite confident. Not sure how that opinion is so controversial and deemed a 'rant' but there we go.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:55 am

GC can only be judged when you gets his own players in surely? At the moment he can only play the hand it’s been dealt, to which we all know it’s not good enough. GC Will stand and fall on his summer transfer activities both in and out of the football club. This season is all about one thing and one thing only and that’s finishing above Stevenage, how sad is that? But sadly true also
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:09 am

yorkshire stag wrote:GC can only be judged when you gets his own players in surely? At the moment he can only play the hand it’s been dealt, to which we all know it’s not good enough. GC Will stand and fall on his summer transfer activities both in and out of the football club. This season is all about one thing and one thing only and that’s finishing above Stevenage, how sad is that? But sadly true also
The question is how long should he be given to get his "own players" in ?One summer transfer window, one summer and one January transfer window or two summer transfer window?
I don't think previous managers have been given enough time to completely bring in their own players. DF was progressing but was given the boot before he could complete the job. AM brought in some good signings and some bad ones but wasnt given enough time to make other signings.
GC is in a better position, as most of the players contracts are up, so he's got the opportunity to shift the deadwood. To be fair he's moved some high earners on already. He too will need more than two summer transfer windows to build a promotion winning squad. I hope he is given the time to complete the job.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:05 pm

3 years!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bmthstag » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:11 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:3 years!!!

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:GC can only be judged when you gets his own players in surely? At the moment he can only play the hand it’s been dealt, to which we all know it’s not good enough. GC Will stand and fall on his summer transfer activities both in and out of the football club. This season is all about one thing and one thing only and that’s finishing above Stevenage, how sad is that? But sadly true also
The question is how long should he be given to get his "own players" in ?One summer transfer window, one summer and one January transfer window or two summer transfer window?
I don't think previous managers have been given enough time to completely bring in their own players. DF was progressing but was given the boot before he could complete the job. AM brought in some good signings and some bad ones but wasnt given enough time to make other signings.
GC is in a better position, as most of the players contracts are up, so he's got the opportunity to shift the deadwood. To be fair he's moved some high earners on already. He too will need more than two summer transfer windows to build a promotion winning squad. I hope he is given the time to complete the job.

I think we need pretty much a root and branch rebuild this summer. As a result I think we’ll be mid-table / flirting with the playoffs next season and really going for promotion the season after.
I hope GC is given this time to rebuild. I also hope unrealistic pressure isn’t put on him this summer with talk of massive budgets, project promotion etc. Let’s stay under the radar, do the business without the fanfares and have a pleasant surprise!
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Why not. Give a manager proper time to build a promotion winning side. It's been over three years since the stated aim was league1. Just look where the chopping and changing of managers has got us. Nearer the National League than league1. If GC is progressing us year on year then keep him.
The rip it up and start again policy clearly doesnt work. Building firm foundations and year on year progress (even if it is slow ) is surely the way.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Only 4 of 19 managers in the promotion/play-off places have been in a job over three years (Warne, Ainsworth, Artell, McGreal) Two of those have achieved something worthy of keeping a job long term.

12 of the 19 have been in the job less than two years.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:34 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Why not. Give a manager proper time to build a promotion winning side. It's been over three years since the stated aim was league1. Just look where the chopping and changing of managers has got us. Nearer the National League than league1. If GC is progressing us year on year then keep him.
The rip it up and start again policy clearly doesnt work. Building firm foundations and year on year progress (even if it is slow ) is surely the way.

Andy, that’s what I’m saying. Give him 3 years!!! Sick and tired of sacking managers. A manager needs time to build his squad.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:42 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Andy, that’s what I’m saying. Give him 3 years!!! Sick and tired of sacking managers. A manager needs time to build his squad.

I agree with this massively. Would rather not here Project Promotion ever again if it meant we built a squad of players that a) want to play for us and b) connect with the fans

If this meant lowering budgets, being shrewd with transfers and loans and lets JR and CR enjoy their own money then I’d be happy.

Blasting money at players got us nowhere.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:24 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Sorry, I misunderstood your post CWM. I'm pleased we are on the same page.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum