{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Score Fred sponsorship by unbeaten run at the races

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Score Fred sponsorship by unbeaten run at the races

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The majority of the comments I have seen seem to suggest we were the better side/had the better chances, and didn’t deserve to lose. That doesn’t tally with your view of the game Random. As I didn’t watch then I’m not sure who to believe.

I watched the game.

We had two chances, and should have scored both. Most other teams in this league would have taken those chances. We didn’t.

But that doesn’t reflect the game. We weren’t particularly ‘in it’ at any point, and very rarely threatened. Our decision making in the final third was poor, and whilst we looked slightly better when defending, their goal inevitably came from a ball in from wide. The central midfield partnership, once again, looked powderpuff. At no point did it look as though we had enough about us to win the game.

Cheltenham played poorly and didn’t create many chances either, yet still looked the better of the two sides and deservedly took all three points.

When Dean Foulkes on iFollow say we played ‘decent’, I can only assume he means compared to being smashed 4-0 at home to Cambridge... because what I just witnessed was far from a ‘decent’ performance.

I also watched the game and can't agree with that. We were by far the better team until their triple substitution at 56 minutes. They stemmed the tide and scored with about their only chance all game.

Coughlan changed it by bringing Benning on and going three up front and once more, we were the better team. I will give Cheltenham credit for game management keeping the ball at our end for long spells of throws etc but make no mistake, they were hanging on. Two very cynical fouls when we were breaking saw two players go into the book which hardly seemed a fitting punishment in the circumstances.

In respect of the Maynard chance in the first half, I think it possibly should have been a penalty and dismissal and I will be interested to see replays. I accept that the keeper got a touch on the ball but with very little effect. He then also brought Maynard down by catching his foot and I am not convinced it was all a part of the same arm movement. It appeared to me they were two separate actions and if so he should have been off. The keeper did of course go on to win man of the match for a series of good saves.

Overall I thought it was a reasonable performance against a team who were brimming with confidence following 5 home wins on the trot. We made them look ordinary for most of the match and made a number of good chances of our own. Very unlucky not to get a point and I think probably deserved three.

A series of good saves?! Look at the match stats - we had two shots on target! :lol:

‘Stem the tide’? Cheltenham had 61% possession at half time and 58% at full time. Hardly a tsunami of pressure by us.

Also, if you think the keeper’s superb tackle on Maynard was a penalty, you need your eyes testing. He clearly wins the ball.

The ‘cynical’ foul ‘while we were breaking’ on Tomlinson was next to the half way line for crying out loud. We were hardly about to score imminently.

They made themselves look ordinary. If you think our performance had anything to do with it you’re sadly mistaken. To say they were ‘hanging on’ is absolutely ludicrous.

Possession means naff all. If you care to read above you will see that I don't dispute the keeper touched the ball but it didn't go yards nor did it go safe. I stated that he appeared to bring Maynard down with a separate arm action. Surely you can't dispute that he was tripped or do you need your eyes testing?

In respect of the fouls, I never said we were going to score merely that the fouls were cynical and in my opinion desperate. How would you describe their match management if not hanging on? They were hardly trying to score a second leaving five back when they got their late corner.

It would appear that you don't give the team any credit for making Cheltenham look ordinary as they simply didn't do it to themselves. That was down to hard work and pressing from front to back and is a part of every successful team.

I know this much, that was a better performance than most of the last 12 games of last season and we should give the team some credit for the improvements.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:59 pm

Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Overreactions again. Playing 5th in the league at home who’ve won 5 in a row at home, now 6. Was always going to be a struggle and we lost narrowly. It was to be expected.

MTFCMusings strikes again :lol:

Only an over reaction if you don’t take into account -

- Top three budget in the league
- Expectations to ‘smash the league’, put forward by none other than the chairman himself at the start of the season
- Strikers on a collective £6,000 per week

You must love being 20th in the league

Come on. The season is over. You’re getting hysterical mate. Write this year off.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:21 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Overreactions again. Playing 5th in the league at home who’ve won 5 in a row at home, now 6. Was always going to be a struggle and we lost narrowly. It was to be expected.

- Expectations to ‘smash the league’, put forward by none other than the chairman himself at the start of the season

Come on. The season is over. You’re getting hysterical mate. Write this year off.

You’re right mate. Not sure why I’m wasting time watching these wasters. *salutes*
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Random Hero wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

You’re right mate. Not sure why I’m wasting time watching these wasters. *salutes*

Agreed bud, these players are not worthy of the time invested in them.

Though of course I’m sure they’ll be some snowflakes out there who’ll confirm such things will “hurt their feelings” :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:46 pm

It wasn't a "bad" performance, by the same token though it wasn't a great performance either.

Depends on the context you compare it to. We had the chances to win but their defence and keeper did their jobs. It was never a penalty on Maynard, I admit my initial reaction was a penalty but that was biased. On the replay the keeper gets a strong hand to it and brought Maynard down in the process. Put it this way, if it was against us and was given we'd all be livid on the replay. As for the tomlinson 1 on 1 the keeper rushed out and made himself big, he did his job again.

I'd sum that game up like this. We didn't deserve to lose and we certainly didn't deserve to win.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:10 pm

The one good thing that we will take from this season in my opinion is that the fans expectations will be hugely lowered.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:The one good thing that we will take from this season in my opinion is that the fans expectations will be hugely lowered.

I think a lot will be expecting promotion again next season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:44 pm

I won't
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:55 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:The one good thing that we will take from this season in my opinion is that the fans expectations will be hugely lowered.

Will depend on how big JR's cheque book is in the summer. Clear out the deadwood and bring in quality then the buzz may start again. Go into next season with the current crop then no chance.

Ultimately we need a buzz and some marquee signings else season ticket sales will plummet through the floor (JR isn't daft enough to think otherwise).
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:07 pm

Chances are thanks to Stevenage being so poor we are safe this season. However,I dont think it's wise just to write the season off. GC needs to get a few wins under his belt, to take into next season. Not all the players will be leaving. From JR's point of view a few wins are required to shift season tickets and membership cards for the QL end.

It's ok saying GC will be able to bring in his own players. It depends if those players are available and want to come. For example how many will be willing to upsticks and move from Bristol ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:14 pm

GC needs 3 wins to see us safe imo, stevenage away needs to be one.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:38 pm

Based on Martin's and Dean's assessment we should of won and missed a few clear chances. We restricted them well and they scored with their first meaningful shot... Reading the comments on here that doesnt seem to be the consensus.

The sooner this awful season is over, the better. I can't believe people still bother to travel to watch us at the moment. Fair play to those that do.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:47 pm

Yes those that travel are strange, there's nothing left this seaweed
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:53 pm

Spiritater wrote:GC needs 3 wins to see us safe imo, stevenage away needs to be one.

Nope. We are safe now.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:58 pm

Jamie wrote:Based on Martin's and Dean's assessment we should of won and missed a few clear chances. We restricted them well and they scored with their first meaningful shot... Reading the comments on here that doesnt seem to be the consensus.

The sooner this awful season is over, the better. I can't believe people still bother to travel to watch us at the moment. Fair play to those that do.

Martin and Dean’s comments are correct. We should have won if we had taken those golden opportunities. It was so frustrating to be undone with their only shot on target.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:24 pm

We have easily the worst midfield in the league, be interesting to see how much we could improve with even an average league 2 standard midfield rather than the conference north standard at the moment.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:35 am

chip63 wrote:Has it been mentioned about not starting Evans?

Coughlan told iFollow Stags, Saturday 1st February 2020:
"Jack has got good energy, good legs. He manipulates the ball."
"He's young, hungry, enthusiastic. He controls the football. He'll control the middle of the park for us. He's a natural footballer."
"He'll allow us to get on the ball and play through and knit the units from back to front a little bit better than we have been doing."
"He'll give us a bit of calmness and composure in the middle of the park and he'll be a great foil for Neal Bishop."

3-2 win to the Stags.

:coys:

I think from this quote from our manager he knows the problem and will look for this type of midfield.
Our only problem at the moment is asking why this type of player would come to us.
If it's for money like so many we signed then I don't think we need them.

Can't think of the last reports I've read when our goal keeper has saved us from losing more than once or twice this season.

Young midfield, goalkeeper, experienced centres and forward.
Look at Coventry now. Oldest player 28 Godden.
We were on par with them 2 years ago, Rose scoring a cracker and a brilliant day out.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:01 am

We're garbage have been all season
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Retro rob » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:04 am

Macca wasn't it?
Retro rob
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:52 am

OK we lost, I went to the game and enjoyed the match but not the outcome. There is energy in this side now, percentages are not what is important, its the ability to make chances and take them. Could easily have been 4-1to us but it wasn't. The players mindset is changing. Have faith in GC, earlier in the season they would have scored four, but not today. Cheltenham were better with the ball at times, but struggled to cope with our energy. It's coming. The small winger Aididi ran us ragged when they beat us at home, when he came on looked lively and moves the ball quickly. I would be surprised if Cheltenham go upon this performance.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Kernow » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:56 am

It is bad, when Chris Clements looked better than we have had all season. Midfield inept and don't mention Macca please. Need a clean sweep of all midfielders.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:06 am

Kernow wrote:It is bad, when Chris Clements looked better than we have had all season. Midfield inept and don't mention Macca please. Need a clean sweep of all midfielders.

I don't agree about Clements. I thought he was innocuous, as was Tom Nichols. Both were taken off after 56 minutes as Cheltenham were going nowhere and not controlling the midfield.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:33 am

Spot on Martin loves the ball, but doesn't move
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:37 am

bigalstag wrote:Most fans of fed up of hearing the same thing week in and out.Same thing again today .More than 50 % of the play, but couldn't score if there life depended on it.
Clear the lot out in two months, and start completely from scratch. That includes Maynard, who misses ten chances for every goal he scores.

Reality is bud, we are always going to struggle getting fitness & cohesion caused by the mess prior to GC. I don't see how there would be any great change, just a steady improvement

Not sure I can remember a team being promoted that completely rebuilt from scratch in the same season :shock:
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:50 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

That's what worries me :(
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum