{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Music Mansfield have run out to

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Music Mansfield have run out to

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 am

I am Spartacus wrote:I played On the Ball to Mrs Spartacus. As she has only ever been to a handful of away games I was doubtful as to her recognising it. But to my delight she did, replying ‘It’s that music that the players come out to, you and Family Von Trapp are always going on about it’. Like I said part of our heritage.

On the down side, I played her some top quality 808 State dance music from the early 90’s and she didn’t recognise a single one. Shame that as she has got two hours of them live at Sheffield after the Walsall game.

I always respect Sparky as a poster who tries to stick to the truth and give a reasonable evaluation and balance to debates. However I think his reputation is now in threads, yes threads with the above post.

We all know there is no such thing as TOP QUALITY 808 STATE DANCE MUSIC. The poor lad's mind has gone. The next thing he will be down at the bookies putting money on a 2-0 Stags win r dreaming of paddling pools full of lime green jelly.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:40 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:I played On the Ball to Mrs Spartacus. As she has only ever been to a handful of away games I was doubtful as to her recognising it. But to my delight she did, replying ‘It’s that music that the players come out to, you and Family Von Trapp are always going on about it’. Like I said part of our heritage.

On the down side, I played her some top quality 808 State dance music from the early 90’s and she didn’t recognise a single one. Shame that as she has got two hours of them live at Sheffield after the Walsall game.

I always respect Sparky as a poster who tries to stick to the truth and give a reasonable evaluation and balance to debates. However I think his reputation is now in threads, yes threads with the above post.

We all know there is no such thing as TOP QUALITY 808 STATE DANCE MUSIC. The poor lad's mind has gone. The next thing he will be down at the bookies putting money on a 2-0 Stags win r dreaming of paddling pools full of lime green jelly.

That's the thing about music, it's entirely a question of taste. Some got it, some don't. ;)

On the Ball is naff, but it's 30 seconds of naff. I've never liked it and never will. But it is just background noise really as the players get cheered (sometimes) onto the pitch, & has no real impact on me personally.

On the other hand the 2/3 tracks they play before that should be towed out to Bikini Atoll and nuked.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:04 am

There is only one answer to this. And that is to quote the title of possibly one of their greatest hits, as aired on the main stream TV show, Top of the Pops, (In the days when the presenters weren’t fiddling with the audience) and that is....In your face :D
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:07 am

I am Spartacus wrote:

There is only one answer to this. And that is to quote the title of possibly one of their greatest hits, as aired on the main stream TV show, Top of the Pops, (In the days when the presenters weren’t fiddling with the audience) and that is....In your face :D

And you say that was a great hit - point proven I think.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:18 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:On the Ball is part of our heritage. No one else’s. To some it may an outdated ‘antiquated silly tune’ that we run out to but to many it is part of the DNA of being a stags fan. Something that is as unique to us as is the Z-cars theme tune to Everton and Down Down by Status Quo is to Chesterfield. This belongs to us and no one else.

The subject of a replacement is thrown up every now and again by those ‘new’ to football, revel in change or those that may be blind to heritage. What would the outcry be if the buffoons at the EFL, (If Carolyn wants to ‘earn her spurs’ as a spearheading CEO in football she really put to take on the EFL’s management board) wanted a generic run out song for brand identity? Their would be uproar. The Champions League ‘anthem’ is to football run out songs what any focus group sat in Strasbourg whilst plotting the football higher echelons financial status quo would come up with. I applaud the City fans for booing this odious quasi EU tune. If only the scousers, red half of Manchester, Gooners, Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys, Ze Germans etc took the same stance then football as a national identity for lower level clubs may have a beginning of standing a chance.

I known of one infrequent poster on here that wants On the Ball played at the start of his funeral. The last ‘game’ he will ever play framed perfectly with the run out song that means so much. The run out song that has seen him through childhood, adolescence, jobs, marriage, divorce, children, good times and bad times. When Field Mill is full for a big game, tensions high and this is played as the players emerge from the tunnel it sends a tingle down the spine and long may it continue.

If a manager says he needs to replace our tune, with one that ‘gees the player’s up’ then questions need to be asked of his motivational skills and team talks. Because it is there to get the fans in the mood and gee us up.

Keep it, get the elected officials of Mansfield to protect it by a bye-law if necessary but what ever we do, never replace it.

:hysteria: :rofl: :hysteria: blurted all my coffee out my nose reading that.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:44 pm

Sneag wrote:
Big yella wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
london amber stag wrote:Love that tune, takes me back to 1971 when I started supporting my beloved Stags. Never, ever change it.

As a kid in the mid to late 70's I used to love that tune (don't know why though?)
Then the tune vanished for decades and to be honest I did not miss it at all. (the tune does not age well with time)
When it was re-introduced a few years back for some reason I started to dislike it (not sure why though?, probably feel it is an embarrassment when opposition fans hear it, if they take any notice?)

If it was up to me I would bin it but I can fully understand the nostalgia.

Do any of the other attendees from the 70's who would keep the tune actually think it has stood the test of time or is it just "our tune" or both?

Be honest !!

It's very dated.
It's very bad.
It's very embarrassing.

It's ours.
It's history.
It's staying.

It's dated, it's crap. I've hated since the first time I heard it nearly 46 years ago.

It's utter raspberry, but like that Elvis dirge, Sweet Carolime and the Bishop Street Stand, we appear to be stuck with it for the forseeable future.

I'm so glad I was involved in bringing it back, if only to know that it has annoyed you for almost 20 years :lol:

I think the original recording I found might still be on this site somewhere.

As a kid this theme was Mansfield Town, it was that build up of excitement, the bloke with the boil on his neck, the mad woman with the sweets, the North Stand bogs and of course the Bogsiders who I stood alongside, bovril in a plastic cup that burnt your fingers clean off, the old scoreboard in the QLE, 10p progamme - all precious memories of which this theme is almost the only one left today. Of course, it did help that this was 1974 and we were about as good as we will ever be.

Anyway, whilst it is a bit naff, it is ours and it must stay.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 pm

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Big yella wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
london amber stag wrote:Love that tune, takes me back to 1971 when I started supporting my beloved Stags. Never, ever change it.

As a kid in the mid to late 70's I used to love that tune (don't know why though?)
Then the tune vanished for decades and to be honest I did not miss it at all. (the tune does not age well with time)
When it was re-introduced a few years back for some reason I started to dislike it (not sure why though?, probably feel it is an embarrassment when opposition fans hear it, if they take any notice?)

Do any of the other attendees from the 70's who would keep the tune actually think it has stood the test of time or is it just "our tune" or both?

Be honest !!

It's very dated.
It's very bad.
It's very embarrassing.

It's ours.
It's history.
It's staying.

It's dated, it's crap. I've hated since the first time I heard it nearly 46 years ago.

It's utter raspberry, but like that Elvis dirge, Sweet Carolime and the Bishop Street Stand, we appear to be stuck with it for the forseeable future.

I'm so glad I was involved in bringing it back, if only to know that it has annoyed you for almost 20 years :lol:

As a kid this theme was Mansfield Town, it was that build up of excitement, the bloke with the boil on his neck, the mad woman with the sweets, the North Stand bogs and of course the Bogsiders who I stood alongside, bovril in a plastic cup that burnt your fingers clean off, the old scoreboard in the QLE, 10p progamme - all precious memories of which this theme is almost the only one left today. Of course, it did help that this was 1974 and we were about as good as we will ever be.

Could be worse - we could have “Z Cars”
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:43 am

Worse still ..... Leicester City’s “Post Horn Gallop”
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:21 am

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Big yella wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Be honest !!

It's very dated.
It's very bad.
It's very embarrassing.

It's ours.
It's history.
It's staying.

A minor irritant. A bit like your good self. ;)

The old Northern Soul tracks they used to play at before the game & at half time evoke those halcyon days more for me. If I hear 'I'll be There' on a crap sound system it givrs me goose bumps.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:17 am

My first memory of tunes on the crackly PA was an instrumental echoing around the empty ground called, ‘A walk in the black forest’ as you entered the ground early at the corner of West Stand and Quarry Lane and walking round past the tunnel to the North Stand so you could get ‘your’ barrier just to the right of the goal looking towards the pitch.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:22 am

I may be wrong but I don't think Z Cars is unique to Everton,don't Watford run out to it too ?
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:30 am

stagone1959 wrote:I may be wrong but I don't think Z Cars is unique to Everton,don't Watford run out to it too ?

Yes they do.
Although why they chose a Liverpool folk song I don't know?
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:56 am

Big yella wrote:
stagone1959 wrote:I may be wrong but I don't think Z Cars is unique to Everton,don't Watford run out to it too ?

Yes they do.
Although why they chose a Liverpool folk song I don't know?

In 1964 another football team, Watford F.C., adopted the tune as it was then manager Bill McGarry's favourite television programme.[5] It has been played as the players come onto pitch since then. During the rise of the club through the leagues in the 1970s and 1980s, it became associated with the club's success under manager Graham Taylor.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:39 pm

Big favourites form the 80's, that tended to get a half time airing were Walk In The Park/Nick Stryker Band and Hold On Tight/ELO
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:49 pm

Do Forest still run out to the Robin Hood music ?

As for a song that reminds me of Field Mill more than any other it has to be Sweet Talkin’ Woman by ELO.

Jeff Lynne must have had a contract with Syd Booth.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:36 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Do Forest still run out to the Robin Hood music ?

As for a song that reminds me of Field Mill more than any other it has to be Sweet Talkin’ Woman by ELO.

When I hear The Hustle by Van McCoy I am transported back to my very early days at a packed Field Mill in the mid 70s. We usually won as well.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:23 pm

ST4GS wrote:

When I hear The Hustle by Van McCoy I am transported back to my very early days at a packed Field Mill in the mid 70s. We usually won as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUfDTn5huM
Throwing shapes at Gara youth club.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:08 pm

ST4GS wrote:

Me too. Evocative.

Also My Sweet Lord by George Harrison
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby JimmyMac » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Concrete and clay
Unit 4 plus 2 :coys:
JimmyMac
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous