{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

PLEASE.....Now let GC manage the club.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: PLEASE.....Now let GC manage the club.

Postby gavinbrookes » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:06 am

Sorry but all of this loading all the blame onto the players is utter nonsense. We win and lose together, i.e. players and manager. Neither manager has been good enough this season and GC has a big year next year. I hope he can do it but let's be honest, he's hardly lit up the place since coming in.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:49 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
tuopolfpilf wrote:GC will have to be given time , we cannot kerp changing manager's.
His dozen or so game's so far have been a nassive disappointment, in comparison to Holloway at Grimsby

But in comparison to Westley it's not massively disappointing.
So your point is???

Maybe a few more Dovetail joints needed
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18 am

Some really poor comments on this thread regarding the manager.
He like, hopefully most of us, enjoyed three points and a clean sheet at home, it was nothing more than that.
What the manager has achieved may well be something, as supporters we do not clearly see, other than the players are fitter than they were three months ago.

GC inherited a mixed bunch, some who were clearly unfit, some who were coasting, some who didn't care a toss, he also has players on high wages he cannot get rid of, Stirling James springs to mind.

Cut the manager some slack, judge him next Christmas, allow him to rid the club of the dross and to offer sensible contracts to those he would like to stay. Some contracts will no doubt be turned down, that's fine, if players want away let them go, that goes for those under contract too.
Last edited by oldweststander on Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:27 am

7 points from the last 9 at home. First time we have gone 3 home ganes unbeaten for nearly a year (late Feb/early March). It might not be very pretty at the moment, but surely that is a sign of progress that we can be happy with ?
Nobody is suggesting that GC is the messiah, but I think he has done enough to deserve our respect.
We are getting ever closer to mathematical safety which I am pretty sure was the first objective he was given upon arrival.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:09 am

Rob wrote:Don't get too high when we win, or too low when we lose. However, winning today has made my weekend but has not confirmed GC as the second coming :lol:

Hopefully, like walker did, GC will prove you wrong!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 am

Dave Wayne wrote:7 points from the last 9 at home. First time we have gone 3 home ganes unbeaten for nearly a year (late Feb/early March). It might not be very pretty at the moment, but surely that is a sign of progress that we can be happy with ?
Nobody is suggesting that GC is the messiah, but I think he has done enough to deserve our respect.
We are getting ever closer to mathematical safety which I am pretty sure was the first objective he was given upon arrival.

Indeed, but for a fluke & some kamikaze defending it would be 3 wins on the spin at home.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:35 am

Sneag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:7 points from the last 9 at home. First time we have gone 3 home ganes unbeaten for nearly a year (late Feb/early March). It might not be very pretty at the moment, but surely that is a sign of progress that we can be happy with ?

Indeed, but for a fluke & some kamikaze defending it would be 3 wins on the spin at home.

And 14th place
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:44 am

gavinbrookes wrote:Sorry but all of this loading all the blame onto the players is utter nonsense. We win and lose together, i.e. players and manager. Neither manager has been good enough this season and GC has a big year next year. I hope he can do it but let's be honest, he's hardly lit up the place since coming in.

He’s hardly lit the place up as the squad wasn’t fit, we as fans could see that. It’s very difficult to get a team fit when you are 6 months behind everyone else. Having a team that’s fit makes such a difference.

You can only judge GC on what he’s got to work with, which isn’t a lot.

I fully believe he will be a success at this club, give him the summer to rebuild, get his players fit and ready to go then judge him.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:47 am

gavinbrookes wrote:Sorry but all of this loading all the blame onto the players is utter nonsense. We win and lose together, i.e. players and manager. Neither manager has been good enough this season and GC has a big year next year. I hope he can do it but let's be honest, he's hardly lit up the place since coming in.

Each to their own chiefy. Personally feel that when the players walk onto the pitch it becomes their responsibility to ensure they give a good performance.

Of course the manager has an influential effect, but if a player has the wrong attitude or slacking for half the season then there's only so much a manager can do.

I do agree about the 'win or fail as one' - unity is the cornerstone to success
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:22 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Rob wrote:Don't get too high when we win, or too low when we lose. However, winning today has made my weekend but has not confirmed GC as the second coming :lol:

Hopefully, like walker did, GC will prove you wrong!

Prove me wrong about what? Unlike you I think all our managers should be given time to build their own squad and that includes GC. You seem to think GC is already the answer, good for you, for now I think it is sensible to reserve judgement and see how he gets on with his own squad next season. Bottom half by Christmas and you'll be shouting for his head, no doubt about it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:10 pm

WVStag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
WVStag wrote:You're impressed by 3 wins in 13?

Not his team though is it..... Pep would struggle to get this lot winning.

His team or not, he's won 3 games out of of 13. 13 points from 39. How that's impressive, whether it's 'his' side or not, I'll never know.

Today was a very important win for us in how our season is going to end, that should not be understated. But let's not go overboard with the hyperbole just because we've won, shall we?

Bloody glad you aren’t the owner of our club! We would have 15 managers by now!!

What’s the point in supporting a club if you are going to just give them stick when they aren’t winning every game and not playing like Barcelona :roll:

Great first post, hopefully he can create a team that suits him in summer and we can resume our form from last season

:coys:
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Nottsstag100 wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

His team or not, he's won 3 games out of of 13. 13 points from 39. How that's impressive, whether it's 'his' side or not, I'll never know.

Today was a very important win for us in how our season is going to end, that should not be understated. But let's not go overboard with the hyperbole just because we've won, shall we?

Bloody glad you aren’t the owner of our club! We would have 15 managers by now!!

What’s the point in supporting a club if you are going to just give them stick when they aren’t winning every game and not playing like Barcelona :roll:

Great first post, hopefully he can create a team that suits him in summer and we can resume our form from last season

As I’ve said before (despite being criticised of being positive about coughlan by the same jokers who criticise me for not normally being positive) we will do well next season, given a decent enough budget and time to get fitness and tactics in place we could do really well.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Nottsstag100 wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Behave, how does anything that I've said equate to wanting the Coughlan sacked? :lol:

Hint: the answer is, it doesn't.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:53 pm

WVStag wrote:
Nottsstag100 wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Jk

Behave, how does anything that I've said equate to wanting the Coughlan sacked? :lol:

Hint: the answer is, it doesn't.

Could it be something to do with the majority of your posts being sour and negative?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:07 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Could it be something to do with the majority of your posts being sour and negative?

No. You’d have to quote something I’ve said that would demonstrate such beliefs.

Pointing out a fact, whilst urging rational and measured thought must be sour then. When I believe we have arrived at a point where there is something to be genuinely positive about, on or off pitch to a solid degree, you will see me point it out. It hasn’t happened yet.

It seems as though if you don’t completely lose the plot with optimism and glee after a win, you get branded as negative on this platform. I find that very bizarre.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:11 pm

WVStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

No. You’d have to quote something I’ve said that would demonstrate such beliefs.

Pointing out a fact, whilst urging rational and measured thought must be sour then. When I believe we have arrived at a point where there is something to be genuinely positive about, on or off pitch to a solid degree, you will see me point it out. It hasn’t happened yet.

It seems as though if you don’t completely lose the plot with optimism and glee after a win, you get branded as negative on this platform. I find that very bizarre.

I suppose it depends whether you adopt the “glass half full” or the “glass half empty” viewpoint.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:27 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

I suppose it depends whether you adopt the “glass half full” or the “glass half empty” viewpoint.

As Chris Evans said the other week, sometimes in some situations folk are lucky just to have the glass in the first place.

Let’s hope going forward we can ensure what goes in it is more full than empty
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:32 pm

From what I have seen of GC so far fills me with optimism.He is now settled in Sheffield which is very important.He will not have weak personalities in his squad.He wants winners not poseurs.This time next year we will be in the teams fighting for promotion.I am convinced of that.I will be renewing my season ticket for sure.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:45 pm

adamstag wrote:
As Chris Evans said the other week

Ah it all works out now, you listen to him haha explains everything now about you :lol: :lol:
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:45 pm

Anyone else notice Brissie Rovers won for the first time at the weekend since GC joined us, something like 14 odd games!!
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:56 pm

That's a remarkable stat. 12 league games!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:That's a remarkable stat. 12 league games!

The bloke who took over from GC said the players aren't fit enough :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:45 am

geoffhill wrote:From what I have seen of GC so far fills me with optimism.He is now settled in Sheffield which is very important.He will not have weak personalities in his squad.He wants winners not poseurs.This time next year we will be in the teams fighting for promotion.I am convinced of that.I will be renewing my season ticket for sure.
For me recruitment in the summer will be key. There will be lots of players going and as a consequence a lot coming in. I accept GC has sufficient coaching experience to mould a winning team. Whether he has the contacts and knowledge to build a winning team is another question. I don't think he has had much experience working in the transfer windows. He has only experience recruiting for a short period for Bristol Rovers and one window for us. The players he has brought in for us so far, I would say have been average at best.

I am warming to GC and think he deserves at least one full season. At this moment in time I'm not expecting a promotion winning team next season. I think it will be a season of consolidation and steady improvement.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:59 am

what are these ‘contacts’ that managers supposedly need, and what suggests he doesn’t have any :?:

It’s money that usually helps.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 am

His record is as bad as JD if honest and the new manager affect has not been crystal clear but signs are we have improved slightly!!

I do feel with him he is a safe pair of hands and looking forward to him having his choice of players and a good active pre season and make the assault next time around.

I think a few players have blossomed under him a bit more
Tomlinson and Macca and certainly Maynard who seems to have settled a bit more to me. come to mind.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum