{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

"Barrowcelona" Tifo x Athletic video

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: "Barrowcelona" Tifo x Athletic video

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:31 pm

:lol: :lol: Bless. I wasn’t aware you were the message board police and that everyone had “moved on from the thread” because you say so. You do realise it’s only a page long and 10 days old! You can say what you like as you’re obsessed with me as well but my point still stands. Sedgwick has been back on here a few times and has not replied to my question because he is full of it. He must have a problem if he has to lie about going to watch Barrow to try & back up his pointless post count! That’s nearly as amusing as him going out with Giggsy & all the other lies he comes out with on here :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:37 pm

A perfect example of Ad hominem!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:46 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:A perfect example of Ad hominem!

A perfect example of obsession. Instead of calling out the original poster for bullshitting you decide to jump on me instead :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 pm

:) Dan what is your take on things then.
Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:06 pm

WVStag wrote:There are a few reasons why this would never happen at this club.

Number one is that we have established there isn't much high-level football knowledge at the top of the club. This is not something a purist football culture can be born out of.

The second is the re-education of our fans, which Evatt alluded to himself about the fans at Barrow. A lot of our fans simply don't get it. That's not a dig, it's just the facts. This fan base is not one that will be able to get behind a possession based system, it'd be 'stop farting about with it and get it forward' if we've not pumped it forward 360 times after 5 minutes. There are too many fans who don't understand the why's behind such a philosophy. It's hard to get the people who would just scream 'get it forward' to understand the system and get on board with it.
Bringing in 'footballers' won't pacify the fans too. It's well known we are anti-footballers and pro-workhorses. The Bishop's and Rose's get lathered in plaudits, and the Mellis', Khan's, Clements' are branded as luxuries. People can disagree, although I'm not sure why they would, if not for being in denial. It's how it's always been at Mansfield. Even if this kind of culture change occurred with us, I'm not confident our fans would have

I also completely disagree that Coughlan would be the suitable manager to bring about this kind of culture change we talk about. He is clearly not a manager who holds a possession based philosophy, it's evident by what we've seen. We don't need to hear 'well it's not his team yet is it' either, you can point to what he did and how his Rovers teams played too.

Not often I agree with you WVStag but you are spot on, the club lacks an ethos and an identity which would give everybody, including the fans a clear map of the way forward. But with our current board, I cannot see this happening any time soon.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby spanishstag » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:27 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Its odd reading this board. Anyone who is involved in the game and qualified in coaching, talent ID, club management, scouting, data analysis or anything similar always seem to scoffed at by those who are still stuck in the 80's and rarely add any value to football discussion.

Sedgwick is spot on. The club needs a proper philosophy and long term plan. It's no coincidence that clubs who we used to consider as rivals are now doing really well in the divisions above us.

The obvious teams that spring to mind are Brentford and Peterborough who have very clear recruitment philosophies.

Think thats why coughlans been appointed ,or is he not football savvy enough for you geniuses
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:31 pm

spanishstag wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Its odd reading this board. Anyone who is involved in the game and qualified in coaching, talent ID, club management, scouting, data analysis or anything similar always seem to scoffed at by those who are still stuck in the 80's and rarely add any value to football discussion.

Sedgwick is spot on. The club needs a proper philosophy and long term plan. It's no coincidence that clubs who we used to consider as rivals are now doing really well in the divisions above us.

The obvious teams that spring to mind are Brentford and Peterborough who have very clear recruitment philosophies.

Think thats why coughlans been appointed ,or is he not football savvy enough for you geniuses

The alternative view is that he was the first one available and no thought or consideration was given to three/four years down the line.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby spanishstag » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:34 pm

garlic wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

The alternative view is that he was the first one available and no thought or consideration was given to three/four years down the line.

Not if you believe our chairman or CEO ,its down to who you believe or what you want to believe
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:27 pm

for passing interest, and for those interested, these are the latest National League highlights

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:49 am

To answer Garlics point.

I hope GC's appointment is the start of a club philosophy, but I don't think it is.

Our list of recent managers - Cox, Murray, Evans, Flitcroft and Dempster all had differing styles of football and our transfer policy seems to have changed to suit each one. This means that with every change we end up starting from scratch again.

Look at Brenford as an example, despite numerous managers, their transfer policy has been consistent and the selection of managers has been made to suit the style of the players signed - hence their sustained success.

Another example is Exeter City, whose success is more subtle, but they regularly finish in the top 7 and regularly sell young players for handsome fee's. When Tisdale finally left they had a succession plan and they play some excellent football considering their resources.

The sacking of Flitcroft was enough to show me that there is no long term plan. He had a very good style of football and was bringing in young players and developing them too. He was all but did of Evans dead wood too.

I am clinging onto hope that the club have learned their lesson after the JD debacle.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:50 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:To answer Garlics point.

I hope GC's appointment is the start of a club philosophy, but I don't think it is.

Our list of recent managers - Cox, Murray, Evans, Flitcroft and Dempster all had differing styles of football and our transfer policy seems to have changed to suit each one. This means that with every change we end up starting from scratch again.

Look at Brenford as an example, despite numerous managers, their transfer policy has been consistent and the selection of managers has been made to suit the style of the players signed - hence their sustained success.

Another example is Exeter City, whose success is more subtle, but they regularly finish in the top 7 and regularly sell young players for handsome fee's. When Tisdale finally left they had a succession plan and they play some excellent football considering their resources.

The sacking of Flitcroft was enough to show me that there is no long term plan. He had a very good style of football and was bringing in young players and developing them too. He was all but did of Evans dead wood too.

I am clinging onto hope that the club have learned their lesson after the JD debacle.

I also hope your hope is well founded but i can see absolutely no reason for this hope. The board appear to still think a top three budget is all that is required and until that narrow, and utterly unsuccessful , thought pattern is altered we will carry on churning our playing staff and refusing to develop the nucleus of a real team.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:55 pm

I watched the barrow v Sutton game on bt sport and both looked very poor sides.

Although Sutton’s second goal was wonderful.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum