{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Weather watch - pitch inspection 9.45am GAME OFF

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Weather watch - pitch inspection 9.45am GAME OFF

Postby spanishstag » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:34 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Just arrived at the pub for the prematch drink only to find that the game is off after coming from Nottingham.

How come the club can't send out an email or a text to prevent this. The commercial department send out emails to us all the time....why can't someone do it for this. Not everyone is glued to the Forum

Seriously ........ ?

Weather's been great all morning in Nottingham. Never occurred to me it'd be off after the Newport game was played

Weather in spain is fantastic ,but even i knew it was off , the news has been full of weather warnings ,must be the silliest post ive ever read on here
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:22 pm

In fairness when the pictures and the videos were taken of the pitch the game was never going to go ahead.

That said the lads probably had a better day catching up and having beers and not watch that embarrassment of a side.

Positives can be taken in everything.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:24 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Just arrived at the pub for the prematch drink only to find that the game is off after coming from Nottingham.

How come the club can't send out an email or a text to prevent this. The commercial department send out emails to us all the time....why can't someone do it for this. Not everyone is glued to the Forum

Seriously ........ ?

Weather's been great all morning in Nottingham. Never occurred to me it'd be off after the Newport game was played

Weather in spain is fantastic ,but even i knew it was off , the news has been full of weather warnings ,must be the silliest post ive ever read on here

Stop bloody whinging Chris. You’ve not had to cross any time zones.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:11 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Sounds like the problem is due to the soil being compacted at the top level and preventing any drainage. So although the surface water will be gone by 3, the layer underneath will still be saturated, and too slippery to be safe. Explains why other pitches in the area will be playable, and plenty of matches in areas hit harder by the rain are okay, but not at Field Mill.

It's great to see the video of the conditions and hear the opinion of the experts.

Too slippery to be safe. Have a word with yourself you massive lady.

I'm just repeating what the ref said. Standing leg slips on the surface and causes injury.

Personally I'd have relished the prospect of seeing proper football on a pudding of a pitch. After all, it's an English winter game, and wet mud with churned up threadbare grass is the traditional playing surface. There's a skillset that copes with those conditions and makes a virtue of it.
But those days are over and we have to accept it.

As an aside, it's a problem for teenagers playing football locally. As most amateur pitches don't have their own ground staff and maintenance is bound to be patchy, fixtures that would have been routine a couple of decades ago have to be postponed due to muddy, cut up pitches. With little prospect of conditions improving in the next few weeks I don't know how they ever get the fixture list played.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:44 pm

6 pages in, not a ball kicked for a scorethread. Is this a record?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Clippo pitch was fabulous
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:10 pm

Spiritater wrote:Clippo pitch was fabulous

Just shy of 200 up at Clipstone as well, their best attendance for years they said.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:50 pm

Looking at the pics it was obvious the game couldn’t go ahead.

Though it’s odd that Clipstone can get their game on but our system etc can’t get a league game on. Not a good look.

The pitch in general this season has been of a poor quality which is quite a surprise, have we got a new grounds man?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:26 am

adamstag wrote:Looking at the pics it was obvious the game couldn’t go ahead.

Though it’s odd that Clipstone can get their game on but our system etc can’t get a league game on. Not a good look.

The pitch in general this season has been of a poor quality which is quite a surprise, have we got a new grounds man?

I take it you have based this post on comparison of games played / games called off for both Field Mill and the Lido ground? Or Not?

Clippo’s ground is well renowned in footballing circles for always playing games that will be on, same way at Blidworth’s will be off and the Welfare pitch at Forest Town not the former cricket square that AFC Mansfield play on will be on.

The groundsman is and has done a great job. Though some locations, such as Clippo being an open location for wind to dry the pitch, ground made up of easily draining sand will have an advantage. Most former Welfare pitches with the exception of Staveleys always perform well.

Like Martin said, two off in five years is testament to the hard work all at the club do. Did you see the state of Morecambes pitch a couple of weeks ago? Just as muddy as ours.

If, due to a lack of a game this week you are missing out on a drama upon which to comment, watch a Coronation Street omnibus and then write off to ITV. Should keep you occupied for a few hours.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:52 am

I am Spartacus wrote:

I take it you have based this post on comparison of games played / games called off for both Field Mill and the Lido ground? Or Not?

Clippo’s ground is well renowned in footballing circles for always playing games that will be on, same way at Blidworth’s will be off and the Welfare pitch at Forest Town not the former cricket square that AFC Mansfield play on will be on.

The groundsman is and has done a great job. Though some locations, such as Clippo being an open location for wind to dry the pitch, ground made up of easily draining sand will have an advantage. Most former Welfare pitches with the exception of Staveleys always perform well.

Like Martin said, two off in five years is testament to the hard work all at the club do. Did you see the state of Morecambes pitch a couple of weeks ago? Just as muddy as ours.

If, due to a lack of a game this week you are missing out on a drama upon which to comment, watch a Coronation Street omnibus and then write off to ITV. Should keep you occupied for a few hours.

or take a look at tranmeres pitch adamstag :o
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:03 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

That Liverpool's ladies use too, who's played on ours since the last home game??
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:06 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

That Liverpool's ladies use too, who's played on ours since the last home game??

That pitch has been like that for weeks/months. It's terrible and embarrassing. Its not like that because Liverpool women play on it as well :lol:

I don't see why people are getting so defensive over a game getting called off, get over it. As others have said 2 games called off in 5 years is pretty good going.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:09 am

The pitch hasn't been right all season. If as Mez says its impacted and blocking drainage, surely that hasn't just happened this week. Why have we waited until it's almost underwater to consider 'hiring' a machine to fix it?

I get they cant put a tractor on it like it is but Is there no way to fix / separate it manually? Some sort of board with a lot of needles stuck to it or something like that, then just go round spiking it into submission? Obviously very labour intensive but he admits hes done nothing all week.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:25 am

Jamie wrote:The pitch hasn't been right all season. If as Mez says its impacted and blocking drainage, surely that hasn't just happened this week. Why have we waited until it's almost underwater to consider 'hiring' a machine to fix it?

I get they cant put a tractor on it like it is but Is there no way to fix / separate it manually? Some sort of board with a lot of needles stuck to it or something like that, then just go round spiking it into submission? Obviously very labour intensive but he admits hes done nothing all week.

Unless you can get the giant sponge machine on there is nowhere for the water to go.

The water table is brimming, nevermind, there will be a hosepipe banby August.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:45 am

Jamie wrote:The pitch hasn't been right all season. If as Mez says its impacted and blocking drainage, surely that hasn't just happened this week. Why have we waited until it's almost underwater to consider 'hiring' a machine to fix it?

Love a good stagsnet expert opinion... "Some sort of board with a lot of needles stuck to it" I think that's the most absurd comment I've seen on here. Mrs knows what he's doing
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Love a good stagsnet expert opinion... "Some sort of board with a lot of needles stuck to it" I think that's the most absurd comment I've seen on here. Mrs knows what he's doing

Why weren’t there covers over the bad areas ? The issue was getting water off the pitch ?
I still don’t understand why it was called off. The pitch would have been a leveller.
The safety angle is a load of ball hocks.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:35 am

If you'd been since 2004 you'd know the pitch has been knackered for weeks
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:04 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Why weren’t there covers over the bad areas ? The issue was getting water off the pitch ?
I still don’t understand why it was called off. The pitch would have been a leveller.

what would you say if one of our players were badly injured playing in it? bet you would've been saying they should've called it off
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:07 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Not a good resolution from Jamie but in a rare occurrence I agree with him.

A chap I go with who runs his own garden business and in his words if this means anything to anybody, "he knew the forecasts and has had two weeks to 'open up the top' "???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:54 am

No game yesterday, yet we still have to find a victim who has underperformed ! Only on Stags net.

Mezz is in the firing line now, in the absence of Logan, Preston and Bishop. Clipstone are so much better as they get a game on, or our grounds man should have behaved differently in view of the bad weather.

We have had two games postponed in five years due to a water logged pitch yet Mezz's knowledge is being questioned.

Could the reason be to do with the most rainfall in February ever recorded, rather than the perceived ineptitude of our grounds man ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:00 pm

Amber Andy wrote:No game yesterday, yet we still have to find a victim who has underperformed ! Only on Stags net.

Mezz is in the firing line now, in the absence of Logan, Preston and Bishop. Clipstone are so much better as they get a game on, or our grounds man should have behaved differently in view of the bad weather.

We have had two games postponed in five years due to a water logged pitch yet Mezz's knowledge is being questioned.

Could the reason be to do with the most rainfall in February ever recorded, rather than the perceived ineptitude of our grounds man ?

sshhh Andy, you're ruining the lynch mob! Hang on my torch needs re lighting from all this rain :lol:

Who's next, Alan Wilson? Sammy the stag? Haven't seen the kiosks being mentioned recently :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:21 pm

Anyway the sun's shining today so let's moan about the scoreboard again.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:If you'd been since 2004 you'd know the pitch has been knackered for weeks

Still proving your username. Are you going to go off on another wasted rant ?
The pitch was playable. Too much poncing about.

Now crawl back under that bridge.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:48 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

what would you say if one of our players were badly injured playing in it? bet you would've been saying they should've called it off

Why would they be badly injured due to a wet and boggy pitch ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:No game yesterday, yet we still have to find a victim who has underperformed ! Only on Stags net.

I’m not criticising the groundsman. I’m criticising the decision to call it off because it wasn’t a snooker table.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum