{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

It's starting already

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

It's starting already

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:32 am

The coughlan out gang are slowly starting to form on Facebook. Here we go again :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5757
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby steiner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:19 am

Don't do two faced book but not really surprised the grumbling has started, We never got that new manager bounce when he came in and to be honest we look just as bad as we did unerJD,
I think he's realised he can shuffle this pack till the cows come home and it will make sod all difference.. He just needs to get us over the line somehow and start again with a 70% outing of current players,
See where we are Oct before we start making judgement.
User avatar
steiner
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:35 am

steiner wrote:Don't do two faced book but not really surprised the grumbling has started, We never got that new manager bounce when he came in and to be honest we look just as bad as we did unerJD,
I think he's realised he can shuffle this pack till the cows come home and it will make sod all difference.. He just needs to get us over the line somehow and start again with a 70% outing of current players,
See where we are Oct before we start making judgement.

I'd cull more than 70% personally.
Absolute shambles.
User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: It's starting already

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:15 am

He's got possibly the hardest job in football.

Prima Donnas on big contracts for L2
Underperforming miserably
Unfit squuad
A lot of contracts up in the summer
Players wanting out
Players knowing their time is up
Players unable to play his preferred way
No confidence
No quality
Hangover from last season
Relegation scrap
Unhappy fan base
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4370
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:16 am

steiner wrote:Don't do two faced book but not really surprised the grumbling has started, We never got that new manager bounce when he came in and to be honest we look just as bad as we did unerJD,
I think he's realised he can shuffle this pack till the cows come home and it will make sod all difference.. He just needs to get us over the line somehow and start again with a 70% outing of current players,
See where we are Oct before we start making judgement.

It's getting worrying where we'll be in Oct though, at best I can see no more than 10 points coming. But hey we'll get another week on the grass running about...




ever thought about passing practice, ball retention, clearing your lines Graham?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 20720
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: It's starting already

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:21 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:He's got possibly the hardest job in football.

Prima Donnas on big contracts for L2
Underperforming miserably
Unfit squuad
A lot of contracts up in the summer
Players wanting out
Players knowing their time is up
Players unable to play his preferred way
No confidence
No quality
Hangover from last season
Relegation scrap
Unhappy fan base

Whereas free falling Camebridge sack Calderwood and win 3 on the trot.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 20720
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: It's starting already

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 am

It would be ludicrous to sack the manager, despite the poor results.

It will take time to turn this around.

Hopefully we will finish 23rd.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6222
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:38 am

Re: It's starting already

Postby West Ham 1969 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 am

Amber Andy wrote:It would be ludicrous to sack the manager, despite the poor results.

It will take time to turn this around.

Hopefully we will finish 23rd.


But you need the necessary experience, ability, skill to do it...has GC got this? Record to date doesn’t endorse this. See above post re Cambridge...plus look at Grimsby.
West Ham 1969
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am

Agree to some extent that the results have been very poor and new manager bounce and improvement has not been that apparent and he speaks honestly about things but says improving is coming we are getting there but it does not seem to the fans to be so.

Willing to allow him a full pre season with his own players but of note is that the 3 players he has brought in (not seem the Swansea player of course) have not been that brilliant but guessing the budget and what was left in the shop window was not the best for him.

Expectation was that he could maybe sort them out and win a few and get us mid tablish but its looking like we will just be hoping Stevenage don't start winning and we keep losing/ drawing so its MTFC v Stevenage really now.

Dear oh dear why couldn't we have had the luck to get that 1 point last game under DF, sure we would be ok in the middle of League 1 by now.

The easy way and the MTFC way haunts us all again.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am

Re: It's starting already

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 am

West Ham 1969 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:It would be ludicrous to sack the manager, despite the poor results.

It will take time to turn this around.

Hopefully we will finish 23rd.


But you need the necessary experience, ability, skill to do it...has GC got this? Record to date doesn’t endorse this. See above post re Cambridge...plus look at Grimsby.


His record at Bristol Rovers does show the ability to turn around a team in free fall, so I'm not sure where this myth that he hasn't the experience has come from? He's been handed a bunch of duds who can't wait to get out in the summer. Results have been poor and performances have even tailed off the last few games, but surely you have to afford him the courtesy of building his own team in the summer?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby Jamie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:25 am

Hardly a myth. He been a manager how long? 14 months? He kept up a failing side, rode that wave this season and left to join us.

Of course he needs a full pre season and the chance to build his own side. But so far hes not delivered and has failed his first objective of turning round a capable but failing side.

Fingers crossed for next year but losing faith rapidly. Especially when we know it's going to be more hoof ball.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5032
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: It's starting already

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:27 am

Jamie wrote:Hardly a myth. He been a manager how long? 14 months? He kept up a failing side, rode that wave this season and left to join us.

Of course he needs a full pre season and the chance to build his own side. But so far hes not delivered and has failed his first objective of turning round a capable but failing side.

Fingers crossed for next year but losing faith rapidly. Especially when we know it's going to be more hoof ball.


So if he keeps up this failing side (which you say is capable but has arguably been failing for 9 months, possibly more) and 'rides the wave' as you put it next season, will that be alright for you or will that just be lucky? You don't 'ride the wave' to 4th in League One without some capability. Rovers have done terribly since he left, much worse than us, so he must have been having some impact.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:38 am

West Ham 1969 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:It would be ludicrous to sack the manager, despite the poor results.

It will take time to turn this around.

Hopefully we will finish 23rd.


But you need the necessary experience, ability, skill to do it...has GC got this? Record to date doesn’t endorse this. See above post re Cambridge...plus look at Grimsby.


Kept Bristol Rovers up... hes done it before and he'll do it again with us
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: It's starting already

Postby nick_stags » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:42 am

Look at our form since January last year.

Something is fundamentally wrong, and it's not GC.

Only the brain dead wouldn't afford GC the courtesy of a full pre-season, gutting the squad and bringing in his own players, before judging him.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:35 am

Re: It's starting already

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:48 am

Some of them only gave Flitcroft 12 games with no transfer window before they wanted him sacked. Then some thought our highest position for over 15 years was "failure" so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

We haven't prepared for this season adequately, hence why we aren't doing too well.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: It's starting already

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:55 am

gazza1988 wrote:Some of them only gave Flitcroft 12 games with no transfer window before they wanted him sacked. Then some thought our highest position for over 15 years was "failure" so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

We haven't prepared for this season adequately, hence why we aren't doing too well.


Including the majority of the board.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6071
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby Ravenshead1956 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:08 am

Hopefully we will finish 23rd! For a minute I thought there was only 23 in our league, then I realise that is league 1.
Shows what progress we are making:NOT
Ravenshead1956
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:09 am

The answer to the problems was letting Flitcroft get rid of the deadwood and fixing the midfield and freshening up the squad.

These players, including Mellis and Khan who have left, suited a passing attacking style of play, the first half of the season where we lost one game wasn't a fluke it was a side that had a way of playing executing it well. We're now lumping it and have a carcass of a squad with a mismatch of players who aren't fit enough or interested.

The answer now is the let GC try and keep us up and let him build again in the summer.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: It's starting already

Postby Conker » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 am

Under absolutely no circumstances should GC not get a chance at next season.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 am

Conker wrote:Under absolutely no circumstances should GC not get a chance at next season.


He will get a chance, but if were not top 3 come the end of his first full season he will be replaced with Richard Cooper or Mez! And fans will say he failed twice :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: It's starting already

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:Under absolutely no circumstances should GC not get a chance at next season.


He will get a chance, but if were not top 3 come the end of his first full season he will be replaced with Richard Cooper or Mez! And fans will say he failed twice :lol:



we can't be sacking managers if they fail to get promoted with one chance, even if we do miss out next year we actually need to build a squad under him for a couple of seasons I think.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5757
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:Under absolutely no circumstances should GC not get a chance at next season.


He will get a chance, but if were not top 3 come the end of his first full season he will be replaced with Richard Cooper or Mez! And fans will say he failed twice :lol:



we can't be sacking managers if they fail to get promoted with one chance, even if we do miss out next year we actually need to build a squad under him for a couple of seasons I think.


We did exactly that with Flitcroft.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: It's starting already

Postby victor A block » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:He's got possibly the hardest job in football.

Prima Donnas on big contracts for L2
Underperforming miserably
Unfit squuad
A lot of contracts up in the summer
Players wanting out
Players knowing their time is up
Players unable to play his preferred way
No confidence
No quality
Hangover from last season
Relegation scrap
Unhappy fan base



Don't disagree with any of the above and of course he needs the summer to rebuild, but he is making errors.

He claims we have no leaders, but replaces experienced players with untried kids signed in January.

Letting Cook go was a massive error. Who cares if he didn't want to play for us? At least he was honest about it, whereas the rest keep quiet and then just show their disinterest on the pitch. He should have been told he's under contract and here until May.

He claims players are making the same mistakes game in and out but continues to pick them in the same positions.

I just cant see what the tactics are. Last night was headless.

And please...give Stone an opportunity in goal...confidence starts from the back and Olejnik is making Jason White look like a superstar.
victor A block
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: It's starting already

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:40 am

victor A block wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:He's got possibly the hardest job in football.

Prima Donnas on big contracts for L2
Underperforming miserably
Unfit squuad
A lot of contracts up in the summer
Players wanting out
Players knowing their time is up
Players unable to play his preferred way
No confidence
No quality
Hangover from last season
Relegation scrap
Unhappy fan base



Don't disagree with any of the above and of course he needs the summer to rebuild, but he is making errors.

He claims we have no leaders, but replaces experienced players with untried kids signed in January.

Letting Cook go was a massive error. Who cares if he didn't want to play for us? At least he was honest about it, whereas the rest keep quiet and then just show their disinterest on the pitch. He should have been told he's under contract and here until May.

He claims players are making the same mistakes game in and out but continues to pick them in the same positions.

I just cant see what the tactics are. Last night was headless.

And please...give Stone an opportunity in goal...confidence starts from the back and Olejnik is making Jason White look like a superstar.


Imagine keeping cook and making him unhappy, he'd disturb the rest of the squad even more and probably cause more problems. If a player doesn't want to be here then get rid, don't keep them against their will.
He has to keep picking the same players... who are we realistically going to bring in to this side? We don't have any quality on the bench of reserves. Hes stuck with this lot.

Agree with stone. Would perhaps be a good idea for one game like Newport to start stone, Jimmy maybe someone like OSJ? never know at this point
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: It's starting already

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:41 am

gazza1988 wrote:Some of them only gave Flitcroft 12 games with no transfer window before they wanted him sacked. Then some thought our highest position for over 15 years was "failure" so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

We haven't prepared for this season adequately, hence why we aren't doing too well.

You keep on thrashing this pre season blabber. It's much more than that as to why we've been aso utterly garbage this year. Doing simple things at the right time isn't difficult. Take the O's 2nd, chances to smash it out t'ground... not taken, chance to stop the final cross coming in by CJ... instead just wafts his foot at it aimlessly, chance for Bob to command his six yard box... oh dear :oops:
GC's thrust post match was 'mistakes', basic simple Sunday league stuff. I think he's done away with the fitness excuse now as it's wearing thin. He realises now the problem is far worse .
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 20720
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: iansmith, northern stag, robda1st, Sandy Pate Best Stag, Sneag and 27 guests