{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Whatever happened to...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Whatever happened to...

Postby DazMondo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:18 pm

Friday, Saturday: Town, Brunels then Limos.
Sunday dinner: Appollo, Last Drop, Blue Bell, (Sutton)
Sunday night, Cockle, White Hart, Arnold,
Grand Central Diner, Nottm
Avairy, Trent Bridge
Monday night: Coopers on the way to Welbeck once a month
Tuesday night: Cockle, Oak Tree, Oval (Sutton)
Wednesday night: Town, Valentino's or Digbys
Thursday night: Cockle, Woodpeckers, Flamingo, Oak Tree (Oakerthorpe in summer a couple of times)

Sometimes we did the Oval on Thursday and Sunday and the occasional Clippo Welfare
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby manssmooth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Keep em coming boys and girls, :D a real trip down memory lane is this.
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Tripe in a white sauce laced with onions. I still can't eat Tripe to this day.

Rushing to the newsagent at 6.15pm to get the pink football post so you could see the late kick offs.

Sitting on the wall outside the Ravendale pub with a lemonade as my grandad was inside trying to forget a hard week at Blid'th pit
Last edited by Chrisuknottm on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Going with your mate to look for golf balls and bods nests. Hitting a few balls down the fairway, with the one iron you’d taken with ya, if no golfers were there :D
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:25 pm

:D No one as mentioned this place.

In the 90s everyone you spoke to said they where going to this place ,best thing since sliced bread :lol:

So me and 3 mates headed over one night ,but my mate got turned away at the door.
We were not very happy with him but mates together we took a detour into nott's city centre .

Massive twist to the tale for me was Odyssey were on in the club we went into.

Brilliant ,i was at the front really getting into it when my mate tapped me on the shoulder and said what the ffin think you are doing they are crap :lol: :lol:

Was it as good as they said, i think missed out in life :(

https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on ... ack-913699
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:05 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::D No one as mentioned this place.

In the 90s everyone you spoke to said they where going to this place ,best thing since sliced bread :lol:

So me and 3 mates headed over one night ,but my mate got turned away at the door.
We were not very happy with him but mates together we took a detour into nott's city centre .

Massive twist to the tale for me was Odyssey were on in the club we went into.

Brilliant ,i was at the front really getting into it when my mate tapped me on the shoulder and said what the ffin think you are doing they are crap :lol: :lol:

Was it as good as they said, i think missed out in life :(

https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on ... ack-913699

Never went there myself but a work mate did. First time he went was on a Thursday night. He said he was queuing for the bogs and he was stood in the doorway, patiently waiting, when 3 blokes tried to push in. Jokingly he put his arm across the doorway and said,
"sorry lads, not tonight"
Within 30 seconds, he was on the floor laid in all the pi$$ and whatnot, with Roy Keane sat on his chest, punching him in the face and being told, he wasn't so big now :lol:
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby steiner » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Flamingo on Oak tree Lane.. Great on a Saturday night.. Weak as piss hoffmeister lager.. But ya didn't care cause you were only 16
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:47 pm

steiner wrote:Flamingo on Oak tree Lane.. Great on a Saturday night.. Weak as piss hoffmeister lager.. But ya didn't care cause you were only 16

Loved the Star for that. Jed the landlord would serve anyone. I started drinking in there at 15 when I looked about 12. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:53 pm

The black bull ,last drink before ko many moons ago
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Sneag wrote:
steiner wrote:Flamingo on Oak tree Lane.. Great on a Saturday night.. Weak as piss hoffmeister lager.. But ya didn't care cause you were only 16

Loved the Star for that. Jed the landlord would serve anyone. I started drinking in there at 15 when I looked about 12. :lol:

You do not look old now, if you would like to repay that compliment I will be in Sunny Friday night with MK stagette. Its your round. :)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:57 pm

Sneag wrote:

Squinting Cat for me. The landlord Malc asking me to bring my birth certificate in the next day, me saying "but its my 18th" and him replying "Yes, that's your third one in here ya little $h1t". :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 am

Big yella wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Squinting Cat for me. The landlord Malc asking me to bring my birth certificate in the next day, me saying "but its my 18th" and him replying "Yes, that's your third one in here ya little $h1t". :lol:

Lots of young ones went in the old eclipse on west gate up the jennel round the back ,15 when i first went in there never had a problem :D

Remember going in Kings Head and got asked if i was 18 ;) I said no i was 19 :lol: i was 17 :lol: he carried on and served me :lol:

17 in the queue at horse and jockey with my mate who was 18 ,they let me in then they asked him is age and they did not believe him , he went off on one then got a clip round the tab and sent him packing :lol:

Can not remember having many problems back then , go out now young ones have to show there ID :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:52 am

Black Boy ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:57 am

Spiritater wrote:Black Boy ;)

You know Mary then :lol:

My mate Colin run it with his wife Kaye ,both have sadly passed away .
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:19 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Black Boy ;)

You know Mary then :lol:

My mate Colin run it with his wife Kaye ,both have sadly passed away .

Went to Sheffield for my stag night the week before getting married , The night before went on a pub crawl around town . My mates told Mary I was getting married the next day and she offered me a freebie if i returned at closing time .
lost about half of my mates during the night and to this day they don't know if i went back at closing time .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:35 pm

The Black Boy, never went in until it was done up and called Traders.

Also, why did the Black Swan never open on Saturday dinner during the 80s & 90s?
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:05 pm

The Bridge, then Town mill whilst suppin under the dancers lol, off to the Ram, then Mucky Duck into the Vic up ta hill to Brunels then off ta Red Lion back down ta Kings Head then finish off int Jockey then either pie n chips in Leeming st chippy or pizza and a sing a long in Fabios with the lovely hippy Ray singing stairway to Heaven badly ohhhhh what a care free life that was
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Chans Garden.......
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby victor A block » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Used to go to Westfield Folkhouse on a Friday night at only 14/15 . No booze there but the landlord at the Old Ram , Littleworth was happy enough to serve if you sat round the back . Always rumoured to be the best pint in town due to proximity to the Brewery . Don't think I ever went back in once legal age .
Once old enough always found the Pink Coconut at Derby and 7th Heaven at Donny to be best for the ladies, although the Donny lads wernt always so obliging .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:54 pm

Red lion on a Friday night.. Packed to the rafters... And bar staff dancing on the bar in stockings and suspenders.. Jeez what the hell happened to Mansfield.. Used to be be a top night out.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:57 pm

It was, the youth of today have no idea how good it was.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 pm

steiner wrote:Red lion on a Friday night.. Packed to the rafters... And bar staff dancing on the bar in stockings and suspenders.. Jeez what the hell happened to Mansfield.. Used to be be a top night out.

I last went down Mansfield on a Friday about 2 years back, it was absolutely desolate.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby skeglad » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Sneaking down from the folk house on a Friday night to get upstairs at the Eight Bells.
There Their They're
skeglad
First Team
First Team

Postby Wilfred » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:20 am

skeglad wrote:Sneaking down from the folk house on a Friday night to get upstairs at the Eight Bells.

Very fond memories of The Bells. The "pass out" stamped on your hand when you left the upstairs room to get a drink as it was cheaper downstairs. Mansfield Bitter 1/7d. Mansfield Nut Brown 1/9d. The DJ's - Solomon and Syd Pepper. And afterwards up to that cafe on Clumber Street - I think it was called The Flamingo (?). My late old friend and ardent Stags fan Pete Passant having a week off work in an attempt to drink 100 pints in that week. Happy days.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:28 am

victor A block wrote:Used to go to Westfield Folkhouse on a Friday night at only 14/15 . No booze there but the landlord at the Old Ram , Littleworth was happy enough to serve if you sat round the back . Always rumoured to be the best pint in town due to proximity to the Brewery . Don't think I ever went back in once legal age .
Once old enough always found the Pink Coconut at Derby and 7th Heaven at Donny to be best for the ladies, although the Donny lads wernt always so obliging .

It had the best pint in town by a mile VAB. I’m sure it had a direct pipe through to the pumps. Dark Mild my favourite!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum