{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop swearing at fans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bishop swearing at fans

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:47 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Sneag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:Logan is gone so another boo boy is needed, what ya gonna do when Bish leaves at the end of the season? Ah yes, CJ is still here (probably). I never abuse players, just shake my head and wear under my breath when something goes wrong. Yes he's supposed to be professional, but there are certain "fans" that just can't wait to moan, and personally he's fine to do what he did. If you dish it out, then be prepared to take it. You wouldn't abuse him on the street, so why is it ok to go it on a football pitch, ah yes,bbecause they can't do anything about it.

The idea that fans need a boo boy is raspberrys though. Players that under perform or make basic errors get stick from the crowd. T'was ever thus.

This season it's easier to identify players that have played up to standard than those that haven't.

But at Mansfield large sections of support hammer one particular player at a time... The whole team was under performing for months but it was always Logan's fault despite him arguably being player of the season for some of the stops he made

Whereas it doesn’t make it right, it’s hardly like mansfield fans are on their own though is it? The england no1 keeper is getting belted by Everton fans for his mistakes, Chelsea have a £72m keeper who is on the bench for the mistakes he’s made.

The unfortunate thing with GKs is their mistakes are always much more likely to be highlighted as it would normally lead to a goal. To state he was getting stick because the crowd randomly decided to pick on him as a boo boy is ridiculous. Though given how ridiculous it is I assume that’s not your suggestion
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:16 pm

Like I’ve said before anyone who has played the game knows that in the heat of the moment things can happen you later regret...he apologised so end of story.. the abuse from fans sickens me sometimes and I wonder why they go if they can’t support without moaning . Bishop trains hard and gives his all at his age he’s a credit to all young pros and I’m sure he knows he is in his latter years.. think of all the games he’s been m.o.m.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:38 am

bellwhiff wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:All of this is true but a professional player shouldn’t be giving his own supporters the finger under any circumstances.

What about a human being towards another group of human beings giving him stick?

No excuse. It’s unprofessional.

In this case i'd agree. But in general, it all depends on the context of what happened / abuse hurled at a player, Belly

Personally don't blame players for reacting when fans go to far
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Bishop should not have reacted but fans should not berate ANY player.
Sadly Bishop will not leave the One Call with good memories of the place and us as loyal fans which is sad as u probably want to remember your last club with fond memories and in most games I watch I always recall the second half more than the first !!

I genuinely think we owe him some gratitude for his efforts for the club and had we gone up Iam sure he would have been ok at League 1 level and been one of our better players even though his legs getting very tired.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:40 pm

I don’t agree with incessant berating of players and boo boys are a stain on the club but if they’re playing crap then the fans are entitled to let them know
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Can anyone remember the Lee Stevenson incident :shock:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:55 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Can anyone remember the Lee Stevenson incident :shock:

the infamous malta scrap?

He was an absolute turd that night.

He said he'd score 20 goals that season, someone bet him £20 he wouldnt - all incocent and friendly and boom, he irrupted.

Luckily the other players wernt bladdered and stopped him getting a shoe in.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby jeevesthestag » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:39 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Bishop should not have reacted but fans should not berate ANY player.
Sadly Bishop will not leave the One Call with good memories of the place and us as loyal fans which is sad as u probably want to remember your last club with fond memories and in most games I watch I always recall the second half more than the first !!

I genuinely think we owe him some gratitude for his efforts for the club and had we gone up Iam sure he would have been ok at League 1 level and been one of our better players even though his legs getting very tired.

I agree. For 2/3 of last season Bishop was immense. How quickly fans forget. It's also interesting that Bishop's wife has been on Twitter today saying how she has been depressed in recent months. Who knows if there's any correlation between the two things but we've all let stresses in our own life spill over into work before. If I did I job where someone was constantly telling me how rubbish I was, I'd snap eventually - whether it was true or not.
jeevesthestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Could be unrelated but his wife has revealed her own mental health issues. Maybe this could’ve had a bearing on his performances/attitude.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 pm

This thread has gone on far too long. He's apologised, he's fine.

I hope his wife is returns to feeling like herself. The admission of not being yourself is like having a heavy burden lifted. I hope she returns to feeling like her normal self.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Yep.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Should lay off him now and end this thread