{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop swearing at fans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bishop swearing at fans

Postby MOTG » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:39 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Does anyone think he'll stay on at the club like Macca?

Can't see it myself.

Best not be! We can’t let a few sporadic solid performances here and there during the rest of this season distract from the fact that many of these players aren’t good enough for where we want to be as a football club. The midfield looked very suspect during the last third of last season, it wasn’t addressed last summer and as a group they’ve continued to deteriorate. We can do much better with the quite large amounts of money we’re paying to our players.

Nowp.......He’ll be on his bike like numerous others in my opinion.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:50 pm

bellwhiff wrote:All of this is true but a professional player shouldn’t be giving his own supporters the finger under any circumstances.

What about a human being towards another group of human beings giving him stick?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:All of this is true but a professional player shouldn’t be giving his own supporters the finger under any circumstances.

What about a human being towards another group of human beings giving him stick?

The problem being is, as established at the time is that it wasn’t because it was bishop it just happened to be a totally dreadful pass under no pressure on the back of countless other dreadful balls by the side. it could have been anyone given how dire the Morecambe game was.

That he acted like a petulant child is a different matter.

However, it’s in the middle of the game, folk have moved on.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:50 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

No excuse. It’s unprofessional.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:08 pm

Is one slip up unprofessional?

So would we not take Tyler Walker back because he gave the finger to the lino? It's unprofessional. Or are we just butthurt because Bishop aimed it at the fans?

If we can't sign players who get frustrated from time to time we aren't going to get far.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:23 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Is one slip up unprofessional?

So would we not take Tyler Walker back because he gave the finger to the lino? It's unprofessional. Or are we just butthurt because Bishop aimed it at the fans?

If we can't sign players who get frustrated from time to time we aren't going to get far.

There’s a difference between giving the lino the finger and giving your own supporters who have travelled and spent time and money.

It’s also not the first time he’s crossed swords with the support is it ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:36 pm

When raspberry keep on about his age, they are lucky that he doesn`t put them down!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:37 am

bellwhiff wrote:

There’s a difference between giving the lino the finger and giving your own supporters who have travelled and spent time and money.

And then apologise to the fans yet 3 days later at Orient (after another drab performance) he’s the only one who couldn’t be bothered to come over to the fans at the end

His attitude stinks IMO and would happily see him leave now
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:46 am

bellwhiff wrote:

Exactly. The only difference is people who instigated got it back and are now butthurt. The middle finger is the middles finger.

So fans can vent at the players most games but the players aren't allowed to vent?

You're advice is he should bottle up his frustrations? Sounds healthy.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:49 am

gazza1988 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Exactly. The only difference is people who instigated got it back and are now butthurt. The middle finger is the middles finger.

So fans can vent at the players most games but the players aren't allowed to vent?

That's setting a good example to younger pros at the club , if people have mentioned is age it is mean't in football terms
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:02 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

That's setting a good example to younger pros at the club , if people have mentioned is age it is mean't in football terms

Under no provocation and a regular occurance I'd be more outraged. He's not having a great season and fans love antagonising certain players. They got some back. He's apologised, like a professional, but did anyone who had a pop apologise back? I'm going to wager that they didn't.

What's setting a good example is showing that even if you slip up you should be a man and apologise about it. That's setting a good example for young players. Too many people seem to think that because they earn good money they aren't allowed thoughts or feelings or even to get frustrated.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:04 am

FGS move on, it’s a passionate game
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:09 am

Turn up to 99% of jobs, give the finger clearly to your customers and see what your boss / management does about it. The answer isnt nothing. Most places you'd get hammered for it and rightly so.

Gaz your wrong. What he did was wrong, unprofessional and hes lucky he wasn't disciplined. In fact it's a disgrace he hasn't been disciplined.

No, he has no right to vent at customers. Yes, he has to take it and can't retaliate. If he or others dont like that then professional football clearly isn't for them.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby acasman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:37 am

No Jamie you have it a bit backwards. Turn up to work , have your customers flipping and jeffing at you. Your boss has them thrown out and banned. You get counselling.
acasman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Gruff » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:57 am

The "holier than thou" attitude of some people on here is comedy gold.

As for a player to be castigated for showing the middle finger to abusive supporters, and the impact that may have on younger players.... what about the affect the abusive supporters are having on the younger supporters around them?

Stop singling out individuals at the club for abuse, bearing grudges and harassing them on media/social media. We have seen the impact of this on other more prominent celebrities, but for our players some of you expect them to "put their big boy pants on" whilst you openly and publicly abuse them..... any form of retaliation calls into question their professionalism, desire and attitude.

Have a word with yourselves..... #BeKind
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:43 am

Jamie wrote:Turn up to 99% of jobs, give the finger clearly to your customers and see what your boss / management does about it. The answer isnt nothing. Most places you'd get hammered for it and rightly so.

Gaz your wrong. What he did was wrong, unprofessional and hes lucky he wasn't disciplined. In fact it's a disgrace he hasn't been disciplined.

No, he has no right to vent at customers. Yes, he has to take it and can't retaliate. If he or others dont like that then professional football clearly isn't for them.

What if your job involves getting your customer in a choke hold & chucking them in the back of a van?

Asking for a friend.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:13 am

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:Football fans can be the flakiest of snow flakes.

Happy to dish out abuse to players, yet squeal like a pig if a player returns the compliment.

So true. It's the same in the Lower West, they give the opposition benches abuse all game and then are fuming when they turn to them and celebrate after scoring.

Spot on both of you. Some of the stuff I hear shouted at players from their OWN ’supporters’ is incredible. I’m surprised no one else has done a Cantona (I know it’s happened a few times at non league level but not league level). It’s the social media age sadly. Slag players off on there then carry it on at the match then start beefing when said player doesn’t give you a clap for going to a football match :lol: The entitlement of some people is embarrassing. What also amuses me is that if they see the same player they’ve been slagging off down town they’re all over him like a rash :lol: talk about double standards.

And I’ll tell you something else about Bish, someone who works with him has told me his stats are always near the top. Not bad for someone ‘whose legs have gone’.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Doesn't mean they are good stats though does it Dan ? :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:12 pm

gazza1988 wrote:The problem being is, as established at the time is that it wasn’t because it was bishop it just happened to be a totally dreadful pass under no pressure on the back of countless other dreadful balls by the side. it could have been anyone given how dire the Morecambe game was.That he acted like a petulant child is a different matter.However, it’s in the middle of the game, folk have moved on.

The problem being is, as established at the time is that it wasn’t because it was bishop it just happened to be a totally dreadful pass under no pressure on the back of countless other dreadful balls by the side. it could have been anyone given how dire the Morecambe game was. It was not because it was Bishop it was because fans moaned in frustration at that particular pass which could have been anyone from the team - fans have paid hard earned money and in that instance they were quite right to show dissatisfaction

When it gets to the realms of personal abuse that it is a different matter completely - this wasn't so that makes it all the more strange.

However, he made a mistake and it's pleasing to see him perform well on Saturday also.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:05 pm

adamstag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:The problem being is, as established at the time is that it wasn’t because it was bishop it just happened to be a totally dreadful pass under no pressure on the back of countless other dreadful balls by the side. it could have been anyone given how dire the Morecambe game was.That he acted like a petulant child is a different matter.However, it’s in the middle of the game, folk have moved on.

The problem being is, as established at the time is that it wasn’t because it was bishop it just happened to be a totally dreadful pass under no pressure on the back of countless other dreadful balls by the side. it could have been anyone given how dire the Morecambe game was. It was not because it was Bishop it was because fans moaned in frustration at that particular pass which could have been anyone from the team - fans have paid hard earned money and in that instance they were quite right to show dissatisfaction

When it gets to the realms of personal abuse that it is a different matter completely - this wasn't so that makes it all the more strange.

However, he made a mistake and it's pleasing to see him perform well on Saturday also.

Bishop had been targeted before the morecambe game (as in he's been getting abuse). If he was unfortunate to have made that pass are just by chance he got the abuse. You can't fault him for thinking it's aimed squarely at him.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:16 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Bishop had been targeted before the morecambe game (as in he's been getting abuse). If he was unfortunate to have made that pass are just by chance he got the abuse. You can't fault him for thinking it's aimed squarely at him.

Did not help when he said the team preferred playing games away from home.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:42 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
adamstag wrote:

Did not help when he said the team preferred playing games away from home.

I'm not surprised. Had you seen our home form and the behaviour of home supporters when he said it?

People seem to think the players are blissfully unaware when they misplace a pass or their performance hasn't been good enough. Highlighting this in the stands does absolutely nothing to improve the situation, just exacerbates it.

I see this as the equivalent of angrily telling someone who is depressed that they need to pack it in right now and be happy.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:59 pm

Logan is gone so another boo boy is needed, what ya gonna do when Bish leaves at the end of the season? Ah yes, CJ is still here (probably). I never abuse players, just shake my head and wear under my breath when something goes wrong. Yes he's supposed to be professional, but there are certain "fans" that just can't wait to moan, and personally he's fine to do what he did. If you dish it out, then be prepared to take it. You wouldn't abuse him on the street, so why is it ok to go it on a football pitch, ah yes,bbecause they can't do anything about it.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:10 pm

1970Stag wrote:Logan is gone so another boo boy is needed, what ya gonna do when Bish leaves at the end of the season? Ah yes, CJ is still here (probably). I never abuse players, just shake my head and wear under my breath when something goes wrong. Yes he's supposed to be professional, but there are certain "fans" that just can't wait to moan, and personally he's fine to do what he did. If you dish it out, then be prepared to take it. You wouldn't abuse him on the street, so why is it ok to go it on a football pitch, ah yes,bbecause they can't do anything about it.

The idea that fans need a boo boy is raspberrys though. Players that under perform or make basic errors get stick from the crowd. T'was ever thus.

This season it's easier to identify players that have played up to standard than those that haven't.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:18 pm

Sneag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:Logan is gone so another boo boy is needed, what ya gonna do when Bish leaves at the end of the season? Ah yes, CJ is still here (probably). I never abuse players, just shake my head and wear under my breath when something goes wrong. Yes he's supposed to be professional, but there are certain "fans" that just can't wait to moan, and personally he's fine to do what he did. If you dish it out, then be prepared to take it. You wouldn't abuse him on the street, so why is it ok to go it on a football pitch, ah yes,bbecause they can't do anything about it.

The idea that fans need a boo boy is raspberrys though. Players that under perform or make basic errors get stick from the crowd. T'was ever thus.

This season it's easier to identify players that have played up to standard than those that haven't.

But at Mansfield large sections of support hammer one particular player at a time... The whole team was under performing for months but it was always Logan's fault despite him arguably being player of the season for some of the stops he made
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum