{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Mansfield Town Managers - First 10 League Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Mansfield Town Managers - First 10 League Games

Postby BigGuy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:00 pm

It is on topic, who called the thread police out?
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm

The One wrote:
Spiritater wrote:True Sneag we did. We'd seen us chuck it away previous. Then in the first PO game in Wales we managed how many? 286 Feel good factor eh. Yeah righto.
We took over twice as many to Hereford

The Welsh game was televised was MK game... no.was Hereford no....do not let facts get in way of your rant.

I always thought our away games were on ifollow, didn't they cover MK? The 2nd leg was televised too and Newport brought over 1k. The feel good was there for them but not us. Your insistance that JD takes all the blame for our position now is so wrong, the seeds of this shambles were sown long before.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:46 pm

Sweden Stag wrote:Keep to topic please, folks.

Who made you a moderator ?

Get back in your box.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Spiritater wrote:
The One wrote:
Spiritater wrote:True Sneag we did. We'd seen us chuck it away previous. Then in the first PO game in Wales we managed how many? 286 Feel good factor eh. Yeah righto.
We took over twice as many to Hereford

The Welsh game was televised was MK game... no.was Hereford no....do not let facts get in way of your rant.

I always thought our away games were on ifollow, didn't they cover MK? The 2nd leg was televised too and Newport brought over 1k. The feel good was there for them but not us. Your insistance that JD takes all the blame for our position now is so wrong, the seeds of this shambles were sown long before.

One was on a Sunday afternoon with a over a weeks notice, the other was a Thursday night with about 5 days notice. Go figure.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:29 pm

Newport KO 6pm hardly afternoon,
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:40 pm

BigGuy wrote:It didn’t in my opinion, even with us trying to stumble over the line there was still a buzz up to the MK game.

We wouldn’t have too over 5,000 otherwise.

I agree, even though I will always maintain it was wrong to sack DF, nevertheless we had a very poor end to the season and squandered automatic promotion. My take is, that getting us into the top three (with what now appears not to have been a top 3 budget) was enough to give him chance this season to rectify it. We didn't and then compounded the error by appointing an unproven rookie, that's OK if you're longer term aim is promotion, but our promotion aim is here and now - or should I say was! As for the feel good factor, overall last season was the most enjoyable for me since our promotion under Dearden/Watkiss. Yes the Conference win was the most important season, but honestly some of the football was so bad I wanted to cry! The feel good factor pretty much ended with an horrific refereeing decision at Newport and the unbelievable chances missed in the home leg.

You can use stats to whatever end suits your argument and I note that of all the stats for the first ten games Holdsworth's record is the best - just shows how utterly meaningless a first ten game stat is :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Spiritater wrote:Newport KO 6pm hardly afternoon,

The Away leg was after a run of 3 defeats and a gut wrenching last day defeat away at promotion rivals where had we avoided a loss or picked up points in the two previous games would of seen us go up automatically as was expected given the league table after 43 games.

To top it off we then have to dust our self's down after our final game of season after chucking away an automatic place and finding out we have to travel to south wales on a Thursday night after work and not being able to organise tickets or time off work until the Tuesday as it was a bank holiday. No wounder fnas didnt bother travelling when they could stroll to the pub or watch it at home on Sky Sports.

So all in all we had a fan base what gambled it all on MK away not expecting to be in the play offs in the first place with very littler time to get money together, time off work and tickets compared to Newport who had 8 days to plan there arrangements went into the play offs as the form team and had an entire Sunday for travel.

Not really the same circumstances is it pal !
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Rob wrote:
BigGuy wrote:It didn’t in my opinion, even with us trying to stumble over the line there was still a buzz up to the MK game.

I agree, even though I will always maintain it was wrong to sack DF, nevertheless we had a very poor end to the season and squandered automatic promotion. My take is, that getting us into the top three (with what now appears not to have been a top 3 budget) was enough to give him chance this season to rectify it. We didn't and then compounded the error by appointing an unproven rookie, that's OK if you're longer term aim is promotion, but our promotion aim is here and now - or should I say was! As for the feel good factor, overall last season was the most enjoyable for me since our promotion under Dearden/Watkiss. Yes the Conference win was the most important season, but honestly some of the football was so bad I wanted to cry! The feel good factor pretty much ended with an horrific refereeing decision at Newport and the unbelievable chances missed in the home leg.

You can use stats to whatever end suits your argument and I note that of all the stats for the first ten games Holdsworth's record is the best - just shows how utterly meaningless a first ten game stat is :lol:

He didn't get us in the top 3 Rob. If he had he would have kept his job.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:

The feel good factor pretty much ended with an horrific refereeing decision at Newport and the unbelievable chances missed in the home leg.

The refereeing at Newport was easily the worst I've ever seen in any Stags game I have been able to watch either live or on telly over here in Sweden. That ref cost us the possibility of playing sides like Ipswich and Sunderland this season. That ref, whom we thankfully have avoided so far this season, has in 25 games so far this season dished out 110 yellow cards and a staggering TWELVE red cards.

Other posters on here might have seen the Eddie Ilderton farce against Bristol City in late 2002 (enough written) and a couple of Darren Drysdale (another one we haven't had so far this season) horror shows up to the 2013-14 season (home fixture against York and also the MK Dons home game in October 2007) live. Mr Drysdale has had better games after the York fiasco in March 2014. But he reffed our final home game against Stevenage last season. Tbh, I felt worried when I learnt of that appointment. Very poor from the EFL considering the fact that Mr Drysdale when relegated to the Conf for the 2009-10 reffed our home game against Stevenage which ended our unbeaten home run spread over two seasons under the management of Dave Holdsworth.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:31 pm

Sweden Stag wrote:(enough written)

Exactly. So why keep going on about it?
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sweden Stag » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Stag on the Beach wrote:
Sweden Stag wrote:(enough written)

Exactly. So why keep going on about it?

My view on that game in particular is / was (enough written). Explanation to your reply. The ref in that game hung up his whistle at the end of last season.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Sweden Stag wrote:Keep to topic please, folks.

Sweden Stag wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:

The feel good factor pretty much ended with an horrific refereeing decision at Newport and the unbelievable chances missed in the home leg.

The refereeing at Newport was easily the worst I've ever seen in any Stags game I have been able to watch either live or on telly over here in Sweden. That ref cost us the possibility of playing sides like Ipswich and Sunderland this season. That ref, whom we thankfully have avoided so far this season, has in 25 games so far this season dished out 110 yellow cards and a staggering TWELVE red cards.

Other posters on here might have seen the Eddie Ilderton farce against Bristol City in late 2002 (enough written) and a couple of Darren Drysdale (another one we haven't had so far this season) horror shows up to the 2013-14 season (home fixture against York and also the MK Dons home game in October 2007) live. Mr Drysdale has had better games after the York fiasco in March 2014. But he reffed our final home game against Stevenage last season. Tbh, I felt worried when I learnt of that appointment. Very poor from the EFL considering the fact that Mr Drysdale when relegated to the Conf for the 2009-10 reffed our home game against Stevenage which ended our unbeaten home run spread over two seasons under the management of Dave Holdsworth.

Yawwwn!
Try your own advice.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Is that the criteria now then? Bugger progress, entertainment, challenge; top 3 or else? It's an appalling strategy which will see us change manager every 6 months. I never met DF and despite what the immature on here say, am no DF lover. What I am is a realist, I know our place in the pyramid and I want to watch good football. Martin and I have disagreed over this for a few decades, I want good football, first and foremost, success will then follow. I don't want to be a disgusting long ball team. Life is too short, my couple of hours at the Mill should be entertaining, not tortuous as it was under Cox in the FL. Last season was great, the atmosphere was superb and we saw some superb games (Bury game is in my top 3 all time), but the owners sacked DF and now we lay in a pool of secrement so bad it makes the early 80's look nostalgic. You got your wish Sneag, I am sure you will never admit it, but I guess you do wish we played the football we did last season and were top 3 or thereabouts all year rather than the current relegation battle. I hope GC is the man, I hope he gives you top 3 next season for if not you will be after his head. Have to say, early signs are not good, the best teams in every division are almost always the ones that play the best football.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:47 am

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Is that the criteria now then? Bugger progress, entertainment, challenge; top 3 or else? It's an appalling strategy which will see us change manager every 6 months. I never met DF and despite what the immature on here say, am no DF lover. What I am is a realist, I know our place in the pyramid and I want to watch good football. Martin and I have disagreed over this for a few decades, I want good football, first and foremost, success will then follow. I don't want to be a disgusting long ball team. Life is too short, my couple of hours at the Mill should be entertaining, not tortuous as it was under Cox in the FL. Last season was great, the atmosphere was superb and we saw some superb games (Bury game is in my top 3 all time), but the owners sacked DF and now we lay in a pool of secrement so bad it makes the early 80's look nostalgic. You got your wish Sneag, I am sure you will never admit it, but I guess you do wish we played the football we did last season and were top 3 or thereabouts all year rather than the current relegation battle. I hope GC is the man, I hope he gives you top 3 next season for if not you will be after his head. Have to say, early signs are not good, the best teams in every division are almost always the ones that play the best football.

You said he finished 3rd he didn't.

If his remit was promotion or the sack after his previous raspberry up, then he failed and gor sacked. Don't take it out on me I'm not his employer. :lol:

Had he finished 7th & got a win at Wembley he still would have kept his job even if he'd been 15 points of 4th.

Last season was great for 3/4 months, unfortunately the rest of the season veared between mediocre and utter gash. With the utter gash bit coming for the second season running in the final third.

I serioysly doubt if Flutcroft would have ever achieved promotion here. But it's all if buts & maybes, we'll never know for sure.

Dempster could have been the next Eddie Howe, as it turned out he was the next Stuart Boam, the owners took a punt & it didn't pay off, it's their pockets that have taken the hit.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:02 am

Rob didn’t blame Flitcroft employer for his sacking though, even though they quite literally sacked him. he blamed the fans.

Gotta admit though, last season was enjoyable overall (ignore the end) but I slightly enjoyed the season before under Evans(before he a runner) - we beat pretty much every team in the top seven, Lincoln and Coventry away in particular were fantastic.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:35 am

It was a damn site more enjoyable than 3/4 months.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:57 am

Conker wrote:Rob didn’t blame Flitcroft employer for his sacking though, even though they quite literally sacked him. he blamed the fans.

Gotta admit though, last season was enjoyable overall (ignore the end) but I slightly enjoyed the season before under Evans(before he a runner) - we beat pretty much every team in the top seven, Lincoln and Coventry away in particular were fantastic.

I did and do blame JR and those within who influenced his decision. What I did say was that pressure from fans would have had an impact on his decision, something some have denied. However, the buck stops with the owner, for sackings and appointments. Evans brought a certain excitement with him, but also his touchline behaviour was disgraceful at times and he is a very disagreeable man :lol:

Sneag, sorry I meant to say we were top 3 for much of the season despite not having a top 3 budget, my bad grammar as usual :oops: Anyway, oviously we will have to agree to disagree on the rest of what you say, we will never know, but I am sure you would agree that had we stuck with him it is extremely likely we'd have been in a much better position than we are now :lol:

Water under the bridge now, we just need to stay up and hope GC is indeed the man for the job. Personally I think the bare minimum next season would be top 7, I would never say top 3 or you're out.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:10 pm

Rob wrote:

Good post.

For me the Stevenage game was the straw that broke the camels back.

I hope the next Stevenage game dosen't do the same.

I hope we "return the favour", and seal their fate.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum