{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stevenage watch.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stevenage watch.

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm

With fifteen games each to go we are currently nine points in front of bottom club Stevenage and have a better goal difference.

They have brought in several new players during the January transfer window, although a couple have left. Overall I think they have strengthened their squad.

We seem to have used the January window as a cost cutting exercise and with all due respect to the youngsters that have joined us, we look weaker especially in terms of experience. The younger players will certainly give us more energy but will they be able to cope in a relegation battle, especially if our home crowd become hostile ?

Nine points over fifteen games isn't impossible to make up especially if their new players gel.

I think we will stay above Stevenage ( just ) and survive. However, I think the gap will close.

It should be remembered that other teams like Cambridge, Morecambe and Macclesfield are in the mix.

What do other posters think.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Re: Stevenage watch.

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Yesterday was the first time this season I asked to find out Stevenage's result after the game. The last time I started looking over my shoulder was in January 2015.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:59 pm

Amber Andy wrote:With fifteen games each to go we are currently nine points in front of bottom club Stevenage and have a better goal difference.

They have brought in several new players during the January transfer window, although a couple have left. Overall I think they have strengthened their squad.

We seem to have used the January window as a cost cutting exercise and with all due respect to the youngsters that have joined us, we look weaker especially in terms of experience. The younger players will certainly give us more energy but will they be able to cope in a relegation battle, especially if our home crowd become hostile ?

Nine points over fifteen games isn't impossible to make up especially if their new players gel.

I think we will stay above Stevenage ( just ) and survive. However, I think the gap will close.

It should be remembered that other teams like Cambridge, Morecambe and Macclesfield are in the mix.

I think you need to take a deep breath and calm down. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:02 pm

I can’t say I’m particularly worried right now, but I still think even the most optimistic of us (which I’m not :lol: ) probably looked for stevenages result yesterday
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Looked for it and was thinking that Stevenage would be in trouble big style yesterday after going one down at home to Leyton Orient. Since Graham Westley returned, they have dropped at least FOUR points in added time (Newport equalizer on December 14, not sure if Westley had taken over again by then), losing away to Northampton and Plymouth in added time in successive fixtures. Home defeat against Port Vale also very late, penno conceded in the 88th minute. They shipped FIVE goals at home to Crewe the weekend after we drew 1-1 at Crewe, and have now conceded eight goals in three straight defeats following their 4-0 victory at Cambridge. They have failed to score in SEVENTEEN out of their 31 league games so far and have currently the worst home record in League Two, also have yet to travel to sides like Morecambe, Macclesfield, Oldham and (on the final day) Carlisle. Unless something dramatically happens at Stevenage, their fans may fear the very worst.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:23 pm

I think we have strengthened to be honest. Watts is better than Preston (although a scarecrow could also do this job) and Charsley offers far more than Mellis. I do think we will survive, although it is depressing that it has come to even thinking about that. Cannot wait until the end of the season to ship out 80% of this squad of failures.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:29 pm

How can you say there squad has been strengthened in January when they’ve picked up 5 points from 27 since January the 1st? Can you tell me anything about the players they’ve bought in or are you just counting numbers?

And please don’t make us watch Stevenage as well, we’ve got enough on with this lot :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:30 pm

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:With fifteen games each to go we are currently nine points in front of bottom club Stevenage and have a better goal difference.

I think you need to take a deep breath and calm down. ;)
:lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:34 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:How can you say there squad has been strengthened in January when they’ve picked up 5 points from 27 since January the 1st? Can you tell me anything about the players they’ve bought in or are you just counting numbers?

And please don’t make us watch Stevenage as well, we’ve got enough on with this lot :lol:

The thing is Musings this season has been so incredibly poor you've got to have something to hang on to.

Watching Stevenage continue to struggle is the only positive we have. :roll:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:13 pm

We've still to play Macc, t'Shrimps n Stevenage again, massive 6 pointers and'll go a long way in deciding where we begin next season.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:I think we have strengthened to be honest. Watts is better than Preston (although a scarecrow could also do this job) and Charsley offers far more than Mellis. I do think we will survive, although it is depressing that it has come to even thinking about that. Cannot wait until the end of the season to ship out 80% of this squad of failures.

Charsley offers more than Mellis. Maybe runs about more but as a footballer, really.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 pm

wink68 wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:I think we have strengthened to be honest. Watts is better than Preston (although a scarecrow could also do this job) and Charsley offers far more than Mellis. I do think we will survive, although it is depressing that it has come to even thinking about that. Cannot wait until the end of the season to ship out 80% of this squad of failures.

Charsley offers more than Mellis. Maybe runs about more but as a footballer, really.

Yes really. Who would I want in a relegation battle? Someone who tries or someone who doesn't...It is pretty simple. Plus Charsley looks a pretty decent footballer to be fair, got a good assist yesterday.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:51 pm

How many games in the last couple of months have the experienced players we have let go started ? . Mostly Deadwood and uninterested cleared out. If just one of the new lads turns out to be a good signing and a regular starter then we are better than before the transfer window opened.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby jimdadstag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:22 pm

Aren't The Macc lads due another slap in the chops with another points deduction this month.
That should sort it.
Its only my opinion,deal with it!
jimdadstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Yes really. Who would I want in a relegation battle? Someone who tries or someone who doesn't...It is pretty simple. Plus Charsley looks a pretty decent footballer to be fair, got a good assist yesterday.

I do struggle to agree with people when they say that Mellis didn’t ‘try’, or didn’t work hard. On the pitch I think he was putting in effort. Ran the show at Cambridge.

Mellis definitely ‘tried’ and worked harder to receive the ball in midfield and get us playing good football than any of our current midfielders for example.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:02 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:
wink68 wrote:

I do struggle to agree with people when they say that Mellis didn’t ‘try’, or didn’t work hard. On the pitch I think he was putting in effort. Ran the show at Cambridge.

Mellis definitely ‘tried’ and worked harder to receive the ball in midfield and get us playing good football than any of our current midfielders for example.

WHEN he tried he could be superb - a classy player. Trouble was (IMO) he seemed not to try in that many games.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:20 am

We've averaged each month around 25% of the points on offer

I've not included October results in the calculation.due to Dempster amazingly capturing 67% of the points for that month (Not to be equaled or beaten since)

So with 15 games to go (45 points on offer) the statistics show we'll gather around 11 to 12 points from now to the end of the season.

Will this be enough?
Who knows ?.
Will we get regulated hopefully not ?
If we do will it cost GC his job probably will.

Let's just wait n see if our new additions gell or improve the team.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:20 am

Spiritater wrote:We've still to play Macc, t'Shrimps n Stevenage again, massive 6 pointers and'll go a long way in deciding where we begin next season.

I think we definitely need 3 points on Saturday at Morecombe, because after that it’s Leyton Orient and I can see that one being like the Oldham fiasco, because it’s on the Tuesday night and we all know that this bunch are not fit enough to play 3 games in a week yet. And then Newport at home after those 2 games, we should be aiming at 6 points. 4 points would be ok as long as Stevenage don’t start to pick up.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 am

If (and it is an if) we win at Stevenage then they’ll need to out score us in points but one point per game. Seeing as they’re not getting one point per game full stop, it would need a massive change in form.

All conjecture I know.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Just looked at the Stevenage FC club shop online and I am afraid that they do not sell timepieces at all.

However, type Stevenage FC watch into google and all manner of suppliers can assist you in buying a Stevenage Watch.

Glad to be of help, no need to thank me.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:28 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Just looked at the Stevenage FC club shop online and I am afraid that they do not sell timepieces at all.

However, type Stevenage FC watch into google and all manner of suppliers can assist you in buying a Stevenage Watch.

Glad to be of help, no need to thank me.

Have you got time on your hands or is this a wind up :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:31 pm

Re Mellis,

Don't just look at this season or last, he has not lived up to his perceived potential for years. Has all the skill in the world so why not use it to the best of his ability.
I defy anyone to say he's a tryer or a workhorse, he's just not putting it in when he should.
Running one game a year doesn't warrant a place in a football team at any level
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:32 pm

Tick tock
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:42 pm

How has it got to this?

We were meant to be in League 1!

While Chesterfield flirt with another relegation and Notts being non-league too, these were supposed to be our halcyon days while we squared up to Lincoln and Rotherham as our new rivals.

Instead we're looking and hoping not to be joining them next season.

Why would anyone choose the life of a Mansfield fan when this is the fare we get?

While you could say it's not boring, it's not enjoyable either. Two recent failures at MK and then Newport, now flipping Stevenage watch as a thread... I despair at the season and the investment into #ProjectPromotion has come to this.

#Division4ForEver
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:45 pm

I’ll be concerned after Saturday if Morecambe win, I’ll be honest I’ve felt that horrible feeling creeping in the past two weeks.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum