{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:02 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:06 pm

I could be wrong Martin but I don’t remember Sweeney and Watts swapping? In fact in the first ten seconds Sweeney tried to let the ball out for a throw on the right from the kick off but it brushed off his belly and he conceded a throw.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I could be wrong Martin but I don’t remember Sweeney and Watts swapping? In fact in the first ten seconds Sweeney tried to let the ball out for a throw on the right from the kick off but it brushed off his belly and he conceded a throw.

ok thanks. I'll double check on the video later.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 pm

player ratings now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:33 pm

I was in line with the shot for Carlisle's first. The ball went in a straight line. Olejnik was in a bad position and couldn't reach it despite attempting to backpedal, and it dipped under the bar. To me it looked like a speculative shot that came off. I suppose you make your own luck, but 9 times out of 10 it would have gone over the bar or been saved.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I could be wrong Martin but I don’t remember Sweeney and Watts swapping? In fact in the first ten seconds Sweeney tried to let the ball out for a throw on the right from the kick off but it brushed off his belly and he conceded a throw.

thanks. You're right. Amended.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:08 am

I think 5 is very harsh on Ryan Sweeney Martin just for giving the free kick away. Is it Ryan Sweeney who clears the ball off the line from the corner in the 1st half or Neal Bishop? He also makes a vital header from a free kick near the end in the 2nd half. I thought overall Ryan Sweeney had a good game especially as he was playing on the right hand side of the back three. He struggled there when we played Cheltenham at home last season. He won most of the balls in the air especially in the 1st half.

It looks like it was Mal Benning who missed the first header from the free kick and you gave him 6.

I'd go:

Nicky Maynard 8.5
Krystian Pearce 8
Joe Riley 7.5
Ryan Sweeney 7
Danny Rose 7
Will Tomlinson 7
Neal Bishop 7
Kelland Watts 6.5
Mal Benning 6.5
Harry Charlsey 6.5
Bobby Olejnik 5
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 am

You don't mention your thoughts on the substitutions.
Was it his first managerial mistake.
I was so impressed when he took off 2 strikers and replaced them with 2 strikers at 2-0 up.
I know it's all about balancing the books and the less we spend this season the better for next.
Do you think if Khan and cook were still with us they would of come on at some point.
Would also like to know fans thoughts on who we keep next year.
:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:11 am

chip63 wrote:You don't mention your thoughts on the substitutions.
I was so impressed when he took off 2 strikers and replaced them with 2 strikers at 2-0 up.
I know it's all about balancing the books and the less we spend this season the better for next.
Do you think if Khan and cook were still with us they would of come on at some point.

yes we did:

"Preston replaced Maynard after 88 minutes. Preston went into central defence. Kelland Watts moved into midfield. It gave the Stags another defender in the box for any balls put into the box and the logic was sound in our opinion. As it happened, it didn’t work."

Hamilton coming on was also reasonable. His pace against tiring defenders could have been useful. He could have taken off Charsley who was on the left of midfield, or a striker, and went for Charsley, which seemed ok to me.

If Cook was still with us, he would probably have come on at some point, and might have got us a goal out of nothing. I would have kept Cook for the rest of the season. I think it was a gamble and a mistake to let him go (without bringing in a suitable replacement).

Who we keep for next year is a thought for later in the season. A third of the season to influence that.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:16 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think 5 is very harsh on Ryan Sweeney Martin just for giving the free kick away. Is it Ryan Sweeney who clears the ball off the line from the corner in the 1st half or Neal Bishop? He also makes a vital header from a free kick near the end in the 2nd half. I thought overall Ryan Sweeney had a good game especially as he was playing on the right hand side of the back three. He struggled there when we played Cheltenham at home last season. He won most of the balls in the air especially in the 1st half.

It looks like it was Mal Benning who missed the first header from the free kick and you gave him 6.

I'd go:

Nicky Maynard 8.5
Krystian Pearce 8
Joe Riley 7.5
Ryan Sweeney 7
Danny Rose 7
Will Tomlinson 7
Neal Bishop 7
Kelland Watts 6.5
Mal Benning 6.5
Harry Charlsey 6.5
Bobby Olejnik 5

giving away the free kick was one of those moments that was so avoidable and so costly. 5 I think is fair because of that.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stag861 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:48 am

I agree with Tippy about Danny Rose. Assists for both of our goals and never gave up.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:05 am

Riley seemed to blame Rose for the equaliser.

And if anyone thinks CJ on for Charsley was the right decision, look at his defending for the first goal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:28 am

Danny Rose normally guards the front post and had done an excellent job heading away corners during the game which is one of the reasons I gave him a 7 as well for his assists as stag861 points out above.

However Mal Benning just seems to completely miss the fist header which must have thrown Danny off guard.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
chip63 wrote:You don't mention your thoughts on the substitutions.

yes we did:

"Preston replaced Maynard after 88 minutes. Preston went into central defence. Kelland Watts moved into midfield. It gave the Stags another defender in the box for any balls put into the box and the logic was sound in our opinion. As it happened, it didn’t work."

Hamilton coming on was also reasonable. His pace against tiring defenders could have been useful. He could have taken off Charsley who was on the left of midfield, or a striker, and went for Charsley, which seemed ok to me.

If Cook was still with us, he would probably have come on at some point, and might have got us a goal out of nothing. I would have kept Cook for the rest of the season. I think it was a gamble and a mistake to let him go (without bringing in a suitable replacement).

Who we keep for next year is a thought for later in the season. A third of the season to influence that.

:lol: :lol: KEEP i don't know whether to laugh or cry :cry: :cry:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:45 pm

Nicky Maynard's first goal was his 13th league goal of the season. It was the second goal scored this season from a long kick by Bobby Olejnik. The other one was at Crewe away. We've scored another 5 goals where the move has started from Conrad Logan or he's been involved in the build up.

Nicky Maynard's second goal was his 14th league goal of the season. He has overtaken the likes of Mick Laverick, Mark Sale, Junior Mendes, Noel Parkinson, Charlie Bell, Wayne Fairclough, Simon Ireland, Rhys Day, etc in the all time Mansfield Town league goalscorers list and sits level with Jimmy Goodfellow, Johnny Miller and Adam Murray. He's just outside the top 100 and is 1 goal behind Bob Ledger, Frank Wignall, John Lathan, Kevin Noteman and Kane Hemmings.

Danny Rose's assist for the first goal is his 5th assist of the season if you count being brought down for two penalties. He's been involved in the build up for another 3 goals which may demonstrate the point about his link up play.

The second goal started from a Mal Benning throw in and is the 9th goal this season starting from a throw in. 5 goals have started from a throw in by Mal Benning.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum