{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

& Cooks replacement is.....?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: & Cooks replacement is.....?

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:32 am

I am Spartacus wrote:
victor A block wrote:Think letting Cook go is a mistake given our current position. The rest, I understand.

Amen to that Victor

I'd agree if Cook wanted to stay, but he didn't.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:35 am

I am Spartacus wrote:
victor A block wrote:Think letting Cook go is a mistake given our current position. The rest, I understand.

Amen to that Victor

100% agree, we cannot afford to wait for Davies to maybe be the option, we haven’t got time to wait, this is an exceptionally brave or naive decision, I hope it’s the former
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:38 am

Sneag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

Amen to that Victor

So what. Probably half the team do. He's under contract. Let him go in the summer when we are safe.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 am

A little disappointed in this one, whilst cook wasn’t starting much he was coming of the bench and picking up goals which could be massive in collecting points in a relegation battle. I’m not sure the other players can influence a game like that? Davies and Jimmy have barely kicked a ball for us so must be ready in training?
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 am

victor A block wrote:
Sneag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:

Amen to that Victor

So what. Probably half the team do. He's under contract. Let him go in the summer when we are safe.

Football doesn't work like that anymore Vic. Contract count for nothing.

It's a shame, I liked Cook but maybe it's better to have a squad all pulling in the same direction.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:53 am

Shocking decision. Even if Cook was unhappy he was under contract. Players can't expect to start all the time.. Unless we have some players announced today or we are bringing in free agents then I think we are in a bigger mess than before. I would of still taken Mellis over any of our midfielders.. I suppose we will have to wait and see how the new lads profess
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:07 am

Pinning our hopes on Davies in a relegation fight is more than beyond a joke.
I'm telling you now, if 100% fit that bloke has a reputation of being lazy and spitting the dummy out if it doesn't go his way. Ask any Oldham fan or any Spireite.

And we have him at a fraction of his best.

We'd be stronger with Rob Duffy up top :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:11 am

I want players here who will fight for the cause and not be a disruptive influence within the club.

If that means losing good players, so be it.

We will be stronger for it
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:07 am

So what exactly have we lost?

Mellis - uninterested
Khan - unproven
Cook - unfit
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:06 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:So what exactly have we lost?

Mellis - uninterested
Khan - unproven
Cook - unfit

Cook was looking fitter he’s a Rheady type never going to fit the pro footballer image. Rose n Maynard will never last the 90mins pressing as they did against Bradford which leaves us well short on options off the bench . Hope I’m wrong but it seems GC is digging a rather big hole for himself .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:So what exactly have we lost?

Mellis - uninterested
Khan - unproven
Cook - unfit

Have a look at Cook's goal scoring record for us - I think we have lost a few goals there over the next 16 games.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Cook is a proven source of goals and has been at every club he’s been at. He isn’t pretty on the eye, he doesn’t run around a lot, but he is effective and scores goals. He also gave us a plan B that allowed us to mix it up a little bit.

Say Maynard picks up an injury now, we don’t have anybody that we can rely on to take is his place and get goals.

Say we’re 1-0 down and nothings working up top, we don’t have anybody we can rely on to mix things up off the bench and have a chance of nicking a goal to grab a point.

That’s what we’ve lost, solid backup if nothing else! Davies is a crock, and you can’t expect Knowles to have the same output as Cook with his inexperience. I obviously hope he does now, but you’re taking a chance considering we always play 2 up top.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:20 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Cook is a proven source of goals and has been at every club he’s been at. He isn’t pretty on the eye, he doesn’t run around a lot, but he is effective and scores goals. He also gave us a plan B that allowed us to mix it up a little bit.

Say Maynard picks up an injury now, we don’t have anybody that we can rely on to take is his place and get goals.

Say we’re 1-0 down and nothings working up top, we don’t have anybody we can rely on to mix things up off the bench and have a chance of nicking a goal to grab a point.

That’s what we’ve lost, solid backup if nothing else! Davies is a crock, and you can’t expect Knowles to have the same output as Cook with his inexperience. I obviously hope he does now, but you’re taking a chance considering we always play 2 up top.

You make a valid point, BH. Maybe GC feels that having greater mobility in midfield will allow the team to play higher up the field (something we’ve been pleading for during the last 12 months) and thus 5ake some of the physical pressure of Maynard and Rose.

Certainly, if we can develop play wider on the park (and for goodness sake we need to see a product from CJ) and give our strikers something to attack, then I can see us replicating the Bradford outcome, without knackering the squad.

Too often, our strikers have had to drop back to find the ball and, whilst Rose rushes about doing this, it’s not Maynard’s strength.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:33 am

What would be even worse would be Maynard and Rose both picking up injuries
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Cslbhar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:04 am

diablo wrote:What would be even worse would be Maynard and Rose both picking up injuries

I can see this happening, actually. That would be just our luck.
Cslbhar
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:27 am

GC comments pre match were honest, he said Cook didn't feel comfortable can with the style of play and found it hard to press.

Says a great deal for a pro footballer doesn't it?

Cook has never stayed long anywhere, cited the fans driving him away at Walsall, could that altercation with a fan a few weeks ago tipped the balance.

Hope he scores a ship load for Tranmere and we get a good fee at season's end or before.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Chacawab » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:31 am

Presumably Matt Preston :shock:

He brought him on for Maynard yesterday :?
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sweden Stag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:51 am

oldweststander wrote:GC comments pre match were honest, he said Cook didn't feel comfortable can with the style of play and found it hard to press.

Says a great deal for a pro footballer doesn't it?

Cook has never stayed long anywhere, cited the fans driving him away at Walsall, could that altercation with a fan a few weeks ago tipped the balance.

Hope he scores a ship load for Tranmere and we get a good fee at season's end or before.

True. No longer than two seasons anywhere except at Barrow.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:53 pm

I haven't seen anyone mention this (especially about the loan), so just to mention from the the pre-match interviews yesterday:

Coughlan told iFollow Stags:
"The way we play and the high pressing might have caused him a bit of an issue."
"But Cooky has been very professional in everything he said to me and I have a lot of time for him."

Coughlan told Radio Nottm:
"He's only gone on loan, so fingers crossed he comes back at the end of the season a better player and a fitter player."
"When players want to go, it's very difficult to keep them back against their will."
"I could have said no, but you just don't know where his head would be then."
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:10 pm

I think for Cook for whatever reason felt that MTFC had become toxic and this was obvious for all to see he is a strong character but I think CG is and course needs to be stronger
Don’t think Cook settled in well here at all and not sure why
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Sick of reading the word TOXIC

For God's sake, can we have a new one?
It's dozy footballers, not Chernobyl.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:52 pm

sw19stag wrote:Sick of reading the word TOXIC

For God's sake, can we have a new one?
It's dozy footballers, not Chernobyl.

COXIT. :)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:08 am

We'll see a lot more of Jimmy Knowles this season now. We'll be testing him properly in mens football. We've been fighting off championship clubs this window willing to pay about 500k for him.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:14 am

Chander Lear wrote:We'll see a lot more of Jimmy Knowles this season now. We'll be testing him properly in mens football. We've been fighting off championship clubs this window willing to pay about 500k for him.

Let's hope he doesn't turn into another Jack Thomas , big clubs came sniffing and then he was never the same
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 am

Chander Lear wrote:We'll see a lot more of Jimmy Knowles this season now. We'll be testing him properly in mens football. We've been fighting off championship clubs this window willing to pay about 500k for him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll file those bids next to the 7 figure ones for CJ last year. In a box labelled 'BS'.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum