{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

& Cooks replacement is.....?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: & Cooks replacement is.....?

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:08 pm

Jimmy scored in a 1-0 WIN

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I think Palmer must be just about the best target man/striker in league 2 this year. He has developed into a big strong and aggressive player who knows how to find the net and you have to give him respect for that.

He would fit perfectly into the style that GC is trying to introduce here and partner perfectly with Maynard.

I do think however that as an ambassador of sportsmanship and character he falls way short and is one of the mardyest players I have seen.

Would I have him back?......... No even though I do think he would get us promoted.

He would off so much more than Rose.. doubt he'd ever come back

No I guess the sound of some of our less sympathetic fans shouting "run Forrest run" when chasing a lost cause, is etched in his memory. :roll:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:30 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I think Palmer must be just about the best target man/striker in league 2 this year. He has developed into a big strong and aggressive player who knows how to find the net and you have to give him respect for that.

He would fit perfectly into the style that GC is trying to introduce here and partner perfectly with Maynard.

I do think however that as an ambassador of sportsmanship and character he falls way short and is one of the mardyest players I have seen.

Would I have him back?......... No even though I do think he would get us promoted.

Had a look at league stats over last five years for both :

Palmer
Minutes : 10499
Goals : 46 (228 mins per goal)
Assists : 22 (477 mins per assists)

Rose (one of seasons was in L1)
Minutes : 9500
Goals : 40 (238 mins per goal)
Assists : 12 (792 mins per assist)

Not too much difference in goals but a large difference in assists.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:57 pm

Cook starts tonight for Tranmere.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Cook starts tonight for Tranmere.

Who ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:09 am

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Cook starts tonight for Tranmere.

Who ?

Exactly
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:21 am

He played the full 90 minutes.

Didn't score though and they were well beaten.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:09 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Palmer

I would guess the last two yrs would see a big difference, Rose rarely looks like scoring
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 am

daddycool wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Palmer

I would guess the last two yrs would see a big difference, Rose rarely looks like scoring

You make a good point.

It's what is happening now that counts.

Statistics can be misleading.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:12 am

daddycool wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Palmer

This season and last season :

Palmer
Minutes : 4928
Goals : 23 (214 mins per goal)
Assists : 8 (616 mins per assists)

Minutes : 3387
Goals : 12 (282 mins per goal)
Assists : 5 (677 mins per assist)

So Ollie's goal ratio has slightly improved, whilst his assists have dropped off, whilst vice versa for Rose. Still better than Rose in both categories, but we all know Rose had a terrible season last year, playing less than half the minutes of Palmer. It was Rose's worst season since playing regular football. It's still fair to say that Palmer has improved and, last season at least, was playing in a far inferior team.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:20 am

I know it's pointless to expect it, but I wish that younger players such as Ollie were given a little leeway by the fans. When they're a bit immature in attitude and still a bit raw in their football skills fans tend to want to wind them up or destroy them. Perhaps it's better to trust the coaching staff to bring them on, while we make encouraging noises? Fans are sympathetic to home grown players, but sometimes we buy in young talent and can only afford such players because they are far from the finished product.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 am

Bradders wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:i don’t care if Cook liked it here or didn’t want to celebrate his next goal, i cared he came on and bagged !!
his type of striker worked as an impact sub & now we hadn’t got that option

We’ve got Davies :roll:

People assume that Davies is useless based on a couple of brief appearances as a sub. Clearly he's a long way off match fitness, but Coughlan seems to be hanging on to him so maybe he will soon prove his worth. Certainly he should get the fans' backing as he tries to revive his injury-hit career. He at least looks like an impact sub, is big and bustling, and is a great character to liven up the squad.

He’s under contract so he hasn’t got a choice in the matter.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 am

Dan wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:i don’t care if Cook liked it here or didn’t want to celebrate his next goal, i cared he came on and bagged !!

People assume that Davies is useless based on a couple of brief appearances as a sub. Clearly he's a long way off match fitness, but Coughlan seems to be hanging on to him so maybe he will soon prove his worth. Certainly he should get the fans' backing as he tries to revive his injury-hit career. He at least looks like an impact sub, is big and bustling, and is a great character to liven up the squad.

Mellis was under contract, wasn't he?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:08 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:is that the Ollie Palmer that's scored 7 in his last 5 games?

Yep, the very same one who comes back to haunt us like a footballing Casper. Sometimes you wonder, why couldn’t they find the net for us?

just for you Ian

Ian :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:13 am

Bradders wrote:
Dan wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

Mellis was under contract, wasn't he?

Yes but he’d got something else lined up or else he’d still be here. No one is going to pay a few grand a week for a crock like Davies.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:08 pm

To say a player is under contract so he doesn't have a choice is factually true but in reality pie in the sky.

If a player's head is turned to the extent he doesn't want to play for you and you are paying him big money, what's the point in forcing him to stay?

Look at the Rose situation of Jan 2019, lost form and gas never really recovered from it.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:17 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
daddycool wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Palmer

This season and last season :

Palmer
Minutes : 4928
Goals : 23 (214 mins per goal)
Assists : 8 (616 mins per assists)

Minutes : 3387
Goals : 12 (282 mins per goal)
Assists : 5 (677 mins per assist)

So Ollie's goal ratio has slightly improved, whilst his assists have dropped off, whilst vice versa for Rose. Still better than Rose in both categories, but we all know Rose had a terrible season last year, playing less than half the minutes of Palmer. It was Rose's worst season since playing regular football. It's still fair to say that Palmer has improved and, last season at least, was playing in a far inferior team.

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum