{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mellis leaves by mutual agreement

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Mellis leaves by mutual agreement

Postby Scothie the Stag » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:57 pm

WVStag wrote:
Scothie the Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Interesting the spin that teams put on signings. "Most of his career in the championship". Time wise, yes. Game time, different matter.

Basic marketing.

Which is why you research and read through crap when making a major purchase. Football, you do similar and/or find fairly quickly.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:46 am

stagmanrob wrote:Night life probably better in Bolton...

I've been out in Bolton. It's hard to imagine anywhere worse tbh.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:02 am

Mellis has conned his way into another short contract with his mate flitfail who once again shows his ability to influence the signing of quality players. Wow if he is lucky he wont be playing in stripes for Lincoln prison team for a few seasons but will make sure Bolton are relegated. Will be missed NOT
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:28 am

Good. Easily the best business letting mellis go we have done in our history, should have been let go as soon as he got into the alteration with the kid.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:22 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:Mellis has conned his way into another short contract with his mate flitfail who once again shows his ability to influence the signing of quality players. Wow if he is lucky he wont be playing in stripes for Lincoln prison team for a few seasons but will make sure Bolton are relegated. Will be missed NOT

Out of a litany of depressive and negative posting, even for Stagsnet, this jumble of bitterness shines like a beacon.

I feel sorry for your cat.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:21 am

Never gave 100% for us.Talented but no heart.Oliver Norburn ran rings round him at Shrewsbury until Mellis got him sent off.Not a Coughlan type of player.Hope to see him next season with Bolton.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:28 am

Proof that Flitcroft had to go. Just can`t assess players!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:52 am

PRL13 wrote:Proof that Flitcroft had to go. Just can`t assess players!

You mean Keith Hill, right? He has signed Mellis for Barnsley before and is the current manager at Bolton not Flitcroft.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:17 am

We will see. Either he will shine at Bolton and prove that he didn’t apply himself at MTFC; or he will flatter to deceive there, just like he has done here.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:16 am

Dont care where be has gone, as long as he is isnt at Mansfield anymore

Good riddance
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:20 am

gazza1988 wrote:

You mean Keith Hill, right? He has signed Mellis for Barnsley before and is the current manager at Bolton not Flitcroft.
He's also forgot the "Scottish manager" signed him for Stags not DF.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 am

This is the first transfer, please feel free to shoot me down in flames if incorrect, where Mellis has gone to a team in a higher position or ‘bigger club’. This says it all (putting on a Brian Clough voice), “Young man, you can’t be arsed. You have wasted your career - now fetch me a whisky”.

This sums his time with us up. Could he do it and the answer is yes. Does he want to do it and the answer will be no. Trouble is how many more of the Premier League rejects will we have through the gates of Quarry Lane in the future.

Give me a Cassells, Vinter or Kelly any day over this type of new breed.

Shame really as on the occasions I have met him he has come across as very personable. I wish him well for the future though I suspect one day, when he has p1ssed his money away I will bump into him in WH Smith’s as he flogs his autobiography entitled, ‘From smoke grenade to Mansfield Cells - The Mellis Story’.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:23 am

Whilst it's a step up in name, if he stays with Bolton next season he'll be playing in League Two again next year.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:28 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Whilst it's a step up in name, if he stays with Bolton next season he'll be playing in League Two again next year.

It’s as close as he will ever get to a ‘burgeoning career’. Basford FC will see him in their lineups one day.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:06 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:Mellis has conned his way into another short contract with his mate flitfail who once again shows his ability to influence the signing of quality players. Wow if he is lucky he wont be playing in stripes for Lincoln prison team for a few seasons but will make sure Bolton are relegated. Will be missed NOT

They don’t have one mate, he will need to get another transfer first, to North Sea Camp (Boston). Not a bad side but have a consistency problem due to a high turnover of both playing and non playing staff. ;)
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 am

Do you mean the same Flitcroft who didn’t sign him and wanted to get rid of him at the end of last season before getting sacked.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Jacob Mellis was a big player for us last season. He was my joint 2nd highest rated player with Neal Bishop behind Krystian Pearce. He had a run of 4 great games in October/November against MK Dons at home, Crewe away, Cheltenham away and Grimsby at home. He was excellent against Notts County at home where he was played in a more attacking midfield role and he was very good at Stevenage away, Bury at home on Boxing Day and Grimsby away. He also played well against Yeovil and Crawley at home. His form then dropped off a little in late January/early Feb which was not helped by having to play a deeper role in midfield to accommodate the signing of Jorge Grant on loan. However he had very good games against Tranmere, FGR and Cheltenham at home, Crawley away, Cambridge at home, Morecambe at home, Oldham away and Newport at home in the play offs.

A massive blow for us this season was his lack of discipline early on in getting stupidly sent off at Newport County when he was playing well in the 2nd half being involved in both of our goals. He then even more stupidly went out drinking with Donohue and was allegedly involved in an assault on a youth team player. This resulted in him being booted out of the team and he struggled to get back in due to the arrival of Conor Shaughnessy and injury; and then the arrival of GC.

Jacob Mellis had a run of four games in August/September and played reasonably well against Stevenage at home and Crawley away but he had poor games against Scunthorpe at home and Exeter away. He came back into the team in late October and played well at Swindon away but then had a poor against Shrewsbury in the FA Cup. He had a reasonable game against Cheltenham at home but was then dropped again by JD. Graham Coughlan came in and gave him his chance at Cambridge away and he played really well but then had a very poor game against Grimsby at home. That was probably enough for GC to make his mind up about him.

League Appearances
2017-2018 - 22(8) and 1 goal
2018-2019 - 33(8) and 3 goals
2019-2020 - 9(4) and 0 goals

Assists (taken from my stats)
2018-2019 - 9 assists (including 1 corner) and involved in the build up for another 12 goals (21 goals in total)
2019-2020 - 2 assists (including 1 free kick) and involved in the build up for another 3 goals (5 goals in total)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:14 pm

He also scored an injury-time screamer which was the equalizer at Lincoln in November 2018.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DazMondo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:10 pm

I was told in the summer that once a Flitcroft had got a job at Bolton, he told four of our players they would be welcome at his new club, if and when Bolton could signs players. He did not make them promises, but it turned their heads.
I didn't know whether to believe it or not, as I know this sort of stuff is common place in football.
I was told CJ, Whitey, Perace and one other.
Could have been true, not sure, though I doubted the unknown one would be Mellis due to Flitcroft not playing him too much.

I was also told by a mate who has close associations with Solihull Moors, that Cook wanted to go there, not here.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:49 pm

Sweden Stag wrote:He also scored an injury-time screamer which was the equalizer at Lincoln in November 2018.

It was a decent goal but it wasn’t a screamer

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:51 am

Big yella wrote:

Do you mean the same Flitcroft who didn’t sign him and wanted to get rid of him at the end of last season before getting sacked.

Are you seriously suggesting that Keith Hill would sign a player that his Assistant ‘wanted to get rid of’ from a team in a division lower?! :lol: Come on!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:40 am

Dan wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that Keith Hill would sign a player that his Assistant ‘wanted to get rid of’ from a team in a division lower?! :lol: Come on!

It's probably a case of Keith Hill recognising the talent that Mellis has and thinking he has the man management experience and ability to get the best out of him. The "Scottish Manager" thought the same. At the time we signed Mellis I remember an ex Chelsea manager saying on the radio (Talk Sport) that Mellis has an abundance of talent, the challenge was to be able to manage him effectively.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:04 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Big yella wrote:

It's probably a case of Keith Hill recognising the talent that Mellis has and thinking he has the man management experience and ability to get the best out of him. The "Scottish Manager" thought the same. At the time we signed Mellis I remember an ex Chelsea manager saying on the radio (Talk Sport) that Mellis has an abundance of talent, the challenge was to be able to manage him effectively.

The challenge is to make the diffident sod use the talent that we all agree he possesses.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:13 am

Did Mellis get game time yesterday ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:16 am

bellwhiff wrote:Did Mellis get game time yesterday ?

no, think he had to be registered by midday on Friday to play
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum