{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:46 am

100 % behind GC says everything right in his interviews , knows he as his hands tied with this bunch till end of season.

Be nice to think we can get enough points on the board with out depending on teams being worse than us.

Players need to turn up Saturday like last Saturday and at least show pride and get home form back on track to see through this season.

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:22 am

It’s a bit concerning that a couple of times GC has been unable to adapt. He’s admitted that he saw, as we all could, that they weren’t at it from the first minute and weren’t able to press with the energy of Saturday. So instead of trying and failing to do that and getting outplayed, get players behind the ball and at least make it difficult for Oldham.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:24 am

MTFCMusings wrote:It’s a bit concerning that a couple of times GC has been unable to adapt. He’s admitted that he saw, as we all could, that they weren’t at it from the first minute and weren’t able to press with the energy of Saturday. So instead of trying and failing to do that and getting outplayed, get players behind the ball and at least make it difficult for Oldham.
I agree. I like GC honesty in his interviews. What concerns me is whether he can adapt when things arn't going his way. It's ok playing a pressing game when the players are fit enough. The majority of these players lack the required fitness, so GC needs to find a system to salvage enough points to make us safe.

Looking at the video, I was disappointed with Bobby for two of the goals.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:47 am

I think GC knows what hes doing and what needs doing dont you....?

So many experts on here...

This site is going downhill quicker than Franz Klammer..

Same people peddling the same old views.....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:55 am

Captain Cunno wrote:I think GC knows what hes doing and what needs doing dont you....?

In the long term I think he does yes, I like him and think he will be a good manager.

That doesn't mean he's immune from criticism. Trying to play a pressing game with players who aren't fit is like expecting Usain Bolt to win the London Marathon. You have to be able to adapt.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:57 am

Captain Cunno wrote:I think GC knows what hes doing and what needs doing dont you....?

To be fair, I think it was a fair point. There’s been a couple of occasions now where every man and his dog could see it wasn’t working but we haven’t changed it. Grimsby at home the other prime example. We can all agree that Coughlan will get the lads fit and working hard. He knows what he wants and I’m sure he’ll work well towards it particularly once he gets to the summer and freshens it’s up completely, but I agree he could have adapted better during the game at times to try and change the flow of what was going on.

That’s not to lambast the manager saying I think he’s useless, because I don’t, it’s just an observation.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 am

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It’s a bit concerning that a couple of times GC has been unable to adapt. He’s admitted that he saw, as we all could, that they weren’t at it from the first minute and weren’t able to press with the energy of Saturday. So instead of trying and failing to do that and getting outplayed, get players behind the ball and at least make it difficult for Oldham.
I agree. I like GC honesty in his interviews. What concerns me is whether he can adapt when things arn't going his way. It's ok playing a pressing game when the players are fit enough. The majority of these players lack the required fitness, so GC needs to find a system to salvage enough points to make us safe.

Surprised that concerns you considering your views on DF, It’s the reason we never got promoted under him, his inability to adapt.

Macc’s potential point deduction and Stevenage being rubbish will mean we stay up, it just provides GC 6 months to understand these players better.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:00 am

I think that's a bit harsh. He says he changed shape three times but nothing altered.

Maybe we aren't taking enough account of the conditions which were awful.

A combination of factors were against us not least new players in the mix. You also have to give the Oldham midfield some credit for a very good display.

Let's see what happens on Saturday before we kick the side too much.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Brinner » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:46 am

He desperatly needs to sign an experienced midfield player in the next two days. The lad from Newcastle is really a centre back and is too big to be belting round midfield. Square peg round hole? Midfield was just non existant last night. The conditions were very poor but as the old cliche says it was the same for both sides and they coped with it.
Brinner
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:21 am

We need to ditch 4-4-2. It’s an outdated formation that doesn’t work. Switch to 3-5-2.

With regards to formations, when was the last time we consistently played a formation that contains just the one out and out striker? Does Radford tell new managers before hiring them that playing 2 strikers is a must? I’m not clamouring to play one up top, I just find it interesting that we’ve played 2 strikers every match for years and years now.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:14 pm

4-4-2 went out years ago.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:18 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Surprised that concerns you considering your views on DF, It’s the reason we never got promoted under him, his inability to adapt.

Macc’s potential point deduction and Stevenage being rubbish will mean we stay up, it just provides GC 6 months to understand these players better.

Even with points deduction Macc'll finish above us imo
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:33 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:4-4-2 went out years ago.

Someone should of told France before they won the World Cup then, or Croatia before they knocked England out.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:36 pm

Big yella wrote:

Someone should of told France before they won the World Cup then, or Croatia before they knocked England out.

Croatia didn't play 4-4-2.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Alright I get it that the players might not be fit enough to play a high intensity pressing game for 2 games in quick succession but I would have expected, to start off with the high intensity pressing then run out of steam or at least some of them.

What doesn't seem right to me is that no one started off with any degree of intensity, let along high intensity.

Irrespective of anything else Boundary Park has always been a bad hunting ground for us, I was hoping after the Bradford performance we could get something but it goes down as another defeat up there.

PS - Get rid of the Black kit
Last edited by pemill on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:43 pm

pemill wrote:Alright I get it that the players might not be fit enough to play a high intensity pressing game for 2 games in quick succession but I would have expected, to start off with the high intensity pressing then run out of steam or at least some of them.

What doesn't seem right to me is that no one started off with any degree of intensity, let along high intensity.

Irrespective of anything else Boundary Park has always been a bad hunting ground for us, I was hoping after the Bradford performance we could get something but it goes down as another defeat up there.

In a nutshell: we were pants.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 pm

Big yella wrote:

France played a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 in 2018.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:13 pm

I like his attitude, he’s honest and hard working. If it doesn’t work out it won’t be for a lack of application, he knows what’s wrong and it’s not an easy fix. We’ll only see his team next season, I just hope we’re still in this league. One thing is for sure I’m glad it’s only 1 down this season!
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:17 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Here we go again..... :roll:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Here we go again..... :roll:

Chortle.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Every goal kick and throw in was aimed at Danny who had a centre half & all full back on him. No plan B. Not Danny's fault that he's covered by two taller players at these set pieces. Maynard showed no interest when a couple goal kicks were aimed at him.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:31 pm

stag861 wrote:Every goal kick and throw in was aimed at Danny who had a centre half & all full back on him. No plan B. Not Danny's fault that he's covered by two taller players at these set pieces. Maynard showed no interest when a couple goal kicks were aimed at him.

Direct was not the smartest idea against Wheater and Piergianni, two defenders well known for their heading abilities.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:51 pm

stag861 wrote:Every goal kick and throw in was aimed at Danny who had a centre half & all full back on him. No plan B. Not Danny's fault that he's covered by two taller players at these set pieces. :lol: Maynard showed no interest when a couple goal kicks were aimed at him.

You just said that it’s not Rose’s fault that he had two big centre half’s marking him for the goal kicks aimed at him so what do you expect Maynard to do in the same circumstance? :lol:
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

They both played with a centre forward and another player playing right behind him, that's 2 up front, just like a Rush and Dalgleish, a Hughes and Cantona, a Cole and Cantona, a Toshack and Keegan, or any Chelsea side with Zola in it.

They both had four midfielders, now you can try and get as technical as you like with diamond shapes and the like of 1-2-1, 1-3, 2-2, 3-1 etc. etc. but its four in midfield.

4 / 1-2-1 / 1-1 my harris its 4-4-2. Why do people always feel the have to look like they're reinventing the wheel. All your fancy formations have been done before by more than one team and in the same game by some of the better ones.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum