{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:4-4-2 went out years ago.

Someone should of told France before they won the World Cup then, or Croatia before they knocked England out.

Croatia didn't play 4-4-2.

They both played with a centre forward and another player playing right behind him, that's 2 up front, just like a Rush and Dalgleish, a Hughes and Cantona, a Cole and Cantona, a Toshack and Keegan, or any Chelsea side with Zola in it.

They both had four midfielders, now you can try and get as technical as you like with diamond shapes and the like of 1-2-1, 1-3, 2-2, 3-1 etc. etc. but its four in midfield.

4 / 1-2-1 / 1-1 my harris its 4-4-2. Why do people always feel the have to look like they're reinventing the wheel. All your fancy formations have been done before by more than one team and in the same game by some of the better ones.

Croatia were 4-1-4-1, or 4-5-1 as you would call it. No second striker, two wingers and 3 central midfielders, hence all the talk after the game was about our midfield getting outnumbered by theirs. Brozovic, Rakitic and Modric.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:25 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Someone should of told France before they won the World Cup then, or Croatia before they knocked England out.

They both played with a centre forward and another player playing right behind him, that's 2 up front, just like a Rush and Dalgleish, a Hughes and Cantona, a Cole and Cantona, a Toshack and Keegan, or any Chelsea side with Zola in it.

They both had four midfielders, now you can try and get as technical as you like with diamond shapes and the like of 1-2-1, 1-3, 2-2, 3-1 etc. etc. but its four in midfield.

4 / 1-2-1 / 1-1 my harris its 4-4-2. Why do people always feel the have to look like they're reinventing the wheel. All your fancy formations have been done before by more than one team and in the same game by some of the better ones.

Croatia were 4-1-4-1, or 4-5-1 as you would call it. No second striker, two wingers and 3 central midfielders, hence all the talk after the game was about our midfield getting outnumbered by theirs. Brozovic, Rakitic and Modric.

Must be big lads if that makes 5 midfield players :D

Does it really matter how you count where the player plays? I'm sure all players operate on a different part of the pitch at some point of a game. Surely the important thing is that all players operate as a team for the full 90 minutes and don't turn off. I would hope they can all kick the ball appropriately at the relevant time, whether that's a shot or a clearance. The game should be fluid and good players can do different things when they are called upon to do so. As long as someone is doing each job it doesn't matter if they interchange.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:32 pm

Just watched the highlights and we never got near Oldham, wow. Totally knackered. Speaking to an ex County player at work who thinks that could be on the back of triple training sessions. Might be too much. Oldham looked decent tbh, but they certainly had the freedom to look good!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:56 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Just watched the highlights and we never got near Oldham, wow. Totally knackered. Speaking to an ex County player at work who thinks that could be on the back of triple training sessions. Might be too much. Oldham looked decent tbh, but they certainly had the freedom to look good!!!

we got nowhere near them last night, and when we did get the ball we gave it straight back to them.

nepumoceno (spelling) seems a good player, at least he is when he plays against us :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Bringing kids into a relegation battle and expecting them to lift you is ludicrous we need experience players bringing in midfield is woeful and has never been addressed .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:19 pm

You never win anything with kids.

Leeroy, Dis, Lawrence, Bobby H, Bappa all shockingly bad. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

And Modric played high up getting behind Henderson meaning Englands back three were left lopsided one way or the other allowing Perisic and Rebic space to come round England when Trippier or Young was forced back.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Sneag wrote:You never win anything with kids.

The problem is though our current crop aren't a patch on these players. Arguably the best batch we have ever produced with the exception of Bappa as he came through slightly later and not part of the 01/02 team.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Was they brought in during a relegation battle?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:53 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:

The problem is though our current crop aren't a patch on these players. Arguably the best batch we have ever produced with the exception of Bappa as he came through slightly later and not part of the 01/02 team.

Well as the 'kids' we just signed have played 2 games & 1 game respectively, I'd say it's a little early to judge.

I seem to remember that crop of kids all getting thrown into a cup replay at Peterbro' & we got a 4-0 drubbing. A few months later and they were the back bone of the best team we'd had in decades.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:53 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It’s a bit concerning that a couple of times GC has been unable to adapt. He’s admitted that he saw, as we all could, that they weren’t at it from the first minute and weren’t able to press with the energy of Saturday. So instead of trying and failing to do that and getting outplayed, get players behind the ball and at least make it difficult for Oldham.
I agree. I like GC honesty in his interviews. What concerns me is whether he can adapt when things arn't going his way. It's ok playing a pressing game when the players are fit enough. The majority of these players lack the required fitness, so GC needs to find a system to salvage enough points to make us safe.

Looking at the video, I was disappointed with Bobby for two of the goals.

Surprised that concerns you considering your views on DF, It’s the reason we never got promoted under him, his inability to adapt.

Macc’s potential point deduction and Stevenage being rubbish will mean we stay up, it just provides GC 6 months to understand these players better.

:lol: :lol: ouch!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:55 pm

pemill wrote:Alright I get it that the players might not be fit enough to play a high intensity pressing game for 2 games in quick succession but I would have expected, to start off with the high intensity pressing then run out of steam or at least some of them.

What doesn't seem right to me is that no one started off with any degree of intensity, let along high intensity.

Irrespective of anything else Boundary Park has always been a bad hunting ground for us, I was hoping after the Bradford performance we could get something but it goes down as another defeat up there.

PS - Get rid of the Black kit

Trouble is we made that mistake against FGR. Had we done that again last night people would've been questioning the manager asking if he'd actually learnt anything from that game.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:50 pm

Sneag wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:

Well as the 'kids' we just signed have played 2 games & 1 game respectively, I'd say it's a little early to judge.

I seem to remember that crop of kids all getting thrown into a cup replay at Peterbro' & we got a 4-0 drubbing. A few months later and they were the back bone of the best team we'd had in decades.

Sneag referring to our own youth set-up as opposed to the loan signings we've made.

Riley at 28, Charsley at 23 and Watts at 20 aren't exactly what i'd consider as the 'kids' in fairness as Lawrence, Hassell, Williamson and Disley were all 18 or younger when called upon.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:03 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:

Sneag referring to our own youth set-up as opposed to the loan signings we've made.

Riley at 28, Charsley at 23 and Watts at 20 aren't exactly what i'd consider as the 'kids' in fairness as Lawrence, Hassell, Williamson and Disley were all 18 or younger when called upon.

Our yoots aren't good enough yet agreed, but picking up 19/20 year olds from Prem clubs may be a better bet than journeymen looking for a last payday.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum