{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Rose

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Danny Rose

Postby Shaker » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:37 am

Hi all. Couple of Bury fans going to Oldham to see Danny Rose. Loved him when he was with us. Brilliant natural scorer. How's he with you. Forecast Oldham 0 Mansfield 2. Danny to get one of them.

Forgot about Mellis? Thoughts? Hated him at Bury. Filthy prima donna. But when you stuffed us at Field Mill couple of Boxing Days ago, he ran the show, still remember that pass to create one of your goals. That typified him though. Has the talent, but only displays it when he can be bothered.
Shaker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Danny Rose

Postby julianshatnasty » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:30 am

Spot on about Mellis. His time here is over for pretty much those reasons.
Danny Rose is a far better player when he stays on his feet than when he's looking for free kicks.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:33 am

Shaker wrote:Hi all. Couple of Bury fans going to Oldham to see Danny Rose. Loved him when he was with us. Brilliant natural scorer. How's he with you. Forecast Oldham 0 Mansfield 2. Danny to get one of them.

Forgot about Mellis? Thoughts? Hated him at Bury. Filthy prima donna. But when you stuffed us at Field Mill couple of Boxing Days ago, he ran the show, still remember that pass to create one of your goals. That typified him though. Has the talent, but only displays it when he can be bothered.

Danny is a fans favourite here, although he gets a lot of stick on here sometimes because he likes to win fouls :lol: he's been a good player for us and a good servant barring the Evans transfer saga but I believe that was down to bad information from people around him
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:16 am

Danny Rose has been great for us. One of the few players in the last 2 seasons to never stop giving his all, irrespective of how things are going on the pitch.
Mellis is the most technically gifted player in the squad. When he's been settled and focused, he's been at the heart of our good form, but it's too irregular and he gets caught up in all sort of nonsense that effects his game. He's currently going through a trial for being part of an assault and has been told he can leave the club.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:11 am

Mellis, technically brilliant, but with no grit and too many demons.

Rose gives his all and except for those on here who expect Salahesque performances t'is all we ask.

Now this is no way a pee take, but how are things progressing as regards reformation, ground etc. Indeed how do you fill your Sats? How long d'ya expect it'll be before you get back? Are the fans all pulling together in the same direction. Have you had any give up and go to watch a big club like Loooooun? Did you ever think it'd turn out this way.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Shaker » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:02 am

Thanks all. Spot on about Danny Rose and his looking for free kicks. Initially he was phenomenal. Then after a while, suddenly started going down for free kicks at every opportunity. Became a bit embarrassing. 110% effort, brilliant with the fans, and a very good player, hence we're braving the snow up here to see him, but his dicing stops him being a great lower division player.

No offence taken Spiritator. All a hotch potch at the moment. Bury FC itself still exists. raspberry chairman, StevevDale, still owns the club. But there's also a consortium who nobody knows who they are, potentially wanting to buy the club off Dale, and a group of fans potentially setting up a new phoenix club. A fanbase of 2500 and there's 3 parties slugging it out. So to answer your question, fans not pulling in the same direction.
I think a few fans are watching local non league teams like Ramsbottom United. Some have given up on football. And you ask did we think it would turn out this way. Many of us did. Didn't take an Einstein to work out all that spending on loaned money at extortionate interest rates, the real villain is the previous owner, Stewart Day. He caused the irreparable damage. Dale just came in to finish it off.
Wrap up warm tonight. It'll be cold
Shaker
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Big yella » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 am

Rose is awful. A 1 in 4 striker at best who has hit double figures just three times in his career. Yet he runs around a lot, but it’s like a chicken with no head and I mean literally. Run run run flop down dead. He spends more time sat on his backside than Jim Royle.

As said Mellis is the biggest waste of talent at Mansfield for years.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 am

Big yella wrote:Rose is awful. A 1 in 4 striker at best who has hit double figures just three times in his career. Yet he runs around a lot, but it’s like a chicken with no head and I mean literally. Run run run flop down dead. He spends more time sat on his backside than Jim Royle.

Did your eyes tell you that Yella? The fact you're using 1 in 4 as an insult when a lot of strikers at this level would be happy with 12 goals a season. Averages a goal every 226 minutes for us, every 2.5 games. If you take out last season, where he had excuses and is a clear outlier in terms of his performances for us, he averages a goal every 198 minutes.

Our second top scorer this season, a goal every 182 minutes. Maynard a goal every 179, so not too much difference in terms of goalscoring.

Think Yella is just bitter because he wanted us to get rid of Rose at the start of the season and bring back Matt Green, a man averaging a goal every 419 minutes this season. Good job you've got those eyes to judge people on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:57 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:Rose is awful. A 1 in 4 striker at best who has hit double figures just three times in his career. Yet he runs around a lot, but it’s like a chicken with no head and I mean literally. Run run run flop down dead. He spends more time sat on his backside than Jim Royle.

Did your eyes tell you that Yella? The fact you're using 1 in 4 as an insult when a lot of strikers at this level would be happy with 12 goals a season. Averages a goal every 226 minutes for us, every 2.5 games. If you take out last season, where he had excuses and is a clear outlier in terms of his performances for us, he averages a goal every 198 minutes.

Our second top scorer this season, a goal every 182 minutes. Maynard a goal every 179, so not too much difference in terms of goalscoring.

Think Yella is just bitter because he wanted us to get rid of Rose at the start of the season and bring back Matt Green, a man averaging a goal every 419 minutes this season. Good job you've got those eyes to judge people on.

Spot on. Most teams would want rose in their line up. Awful :lol: :lol: :lol:
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:02 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Not sure you can argue with the stats this time Big Yella :lol:

Rose is a player I have a lot of time for - he can be frustrating (needless diving on occasion), but he gives his all, scores goals, and leads the line well. For his height he wins a lot of headers.

Like Chander said, he'd walk into most L2 sides.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:04 am

I like Rose, as do most of our fans.

He needs to score more goals though. It seems like every time he picks up form he either gets injured or suddenly goes off the boil.

He works his knackers off though, and is a pest for opposition defences. I think he fits into GC's style of play perfectly, so I'm hoping he finishes the season strongly and signs a new contract (I think he's out of contract?).
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:11 am

Rose's main problem is that he is a instinctive player, very good when he does not have to think about what he is doing. Its when he has time on the ball he struggles and runs out of ideas and goes down.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:14 am

I have mixed feelings about Rose. You can't deny the effort and commitment but I think he misses more than he scores - perhaps that's typical league two.

He has flourished under GC and now seems a more complete player and doesn't seem to be diving quiet as much or be quite so dramatic..

I must say that I felt for Nicky Maynard on Saturday when the double substitution took place. Both players had scored and had given their all. When they went off together the crowd only sang for Rose despite Maynard being top scorer and, in my opinion, the better player. Perhaps we need a song for Nicky to show him how appreciated he is - cue the singing crowd to make one up.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:15 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I have mixed feelings about Rose. You can't deny the effort and commitment but I think he misses more than he scores - perhaps that's typical league two.

He has flourished under GC and now seems a more complete player and doesn't seem to be diving quiet as much or be quite so dramatic..

I must say that I felt for Nicky Maynard on Saturday when the double substitution took place. Both players had scored and had given their all. When they went off together the crowd only sang for Rose despite Maynard being top scorer and, in my opinion, the better player. Perhaps we need a song for Nicky to show him how appreciated he is - cue the singing crowd to make one up.

We've got one, it's the same terrible one as for Walker last season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:17 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I have mixed feelings about Rose. You can't deny the effort and commitment but I think he misses more than he scores - perhaps that's typical league two.

We've got one, it's the same terrible one as for Walker last season.

I'd not noticed. Maybe that shows how ineffective it is and a new dynamic one needed :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:41 am

Should revive the old Keegan Parker song for Nick, fits in well.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:25 pm

I'm a big fan of Danny, though as others have said I do wish he'd cut out some of the blatant diving. He has never shirked, always gives his all and has usually been a very effective striker who is clearly good enough to play League 1 if we ever manage to get there. The current manager has quickly worked out that Danny is a vital part of the team and whilst it is doubtful he'll ever be a 20 goal a season striker, 10-15 is a good return given the other things he contributes.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:47 pm

Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Rose is a player I have a lot of time for - he can be frustrating (needless diving on occasion), but he gives his all, scores goals, and leads the line well. For his height he wins a lot of headers.

I can argue them about Rose all day. Here’s some stats for you 9, 6, 10, 17, 5, that’s his seasons total for the last five seasons 47 goals in 203 games. I was giving him a break because it’s less than 1 in four. One decent season.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:47 pm

There's some kind of love in with Danny Rose somewhere along the way, even when he's dire and let's be honest that has been a lot of the time this season and last, the fans sing his name whilst other players get naff all from the fans - Macca is another one. There's times last season I really felt for Tyler Walker as he was banging them in whilst Danny Rose was warming the bench, yet Danny would get the Danny Rose chorus just for warming up and contributing absolutely nothing.

So he scored on Saturday, long over due, he needs to start scoring regularly and truly become a highly rated Stags player.

The diving bit I'm sort of 50/50 about, other teams do it and get free kicks, we as a team play it too fair, Danny does get clattered time and again without a free kick be awarded, maybe it's his way of making a point to the ref.

For me, he needs to put together a sustained run of scoring and be a player we can rely on to bag goals and provide assists - it would seem GC is playing to his strengths, one being his ability in the air.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Big yella wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I can argue them about Rose all day. Here’s some stats for you 9, 6, 10, 17, 5, that’s his seasons total for the last five seasons 47 goals in 203 games. I was giving him a break because it’s less than 1 in four. One decent season.

Wrong again, not sure where you're getting your stats from, but you've gone wrong somewhere. Were you including this season or not? If yes, it's 47 in 187, which is less than 1 in 4. If no, and it's the last five seasons before that, it's 48 in 205, which is more than 1 in 4.

It's also why recruitment staff look at goals per minute rather than goals per game, as 'game' is misleading, could be 90 minutes, could be 1 minute.

Or we could just judge him on what he's doing at the moment, because players are allowed to get better or worse despite what they've done in the past. 9 in 24 games, better than 1 in 3 in a struggling team, a goal every 182 minutes, a better ratio currently than in his highest scoring season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:14 pm

pemill wrote:There's some kind of love in with Danny Rose somewhere along the way, even when he's dire and let's be honest that has been a lot of the time this season and last, the fans sing his name whilst other players get naff all from the fans - Macca is another one. There's times last season I really felt for Tyler Walker as he was banging them in whilst Danny Rose was warming the bench, yet Danny would get the Danny Rose chorus just for warming up and contributing absolutely nothing.

So he scored on Saturday, long over due, he needs to start scoring regularly and truly become a highly rated Stags player.

The diving bit I'm sort of 50/50 about, other teams do it and get free kicks, we as a team play it too fair, Danny does get clattered time and again without a free kick be awarded, maybe it's his way of making a point to the ref.

For me, he needs to put together a sustained run of scoring and be a player we can rely on to bag goals and provide assists - it would seem GC is playing to his strengths, one being his ability in the air.

Agree with everything said here re: Rose. The love in is cringe-worthy and incredibly misguided. Walker got lambasted for his perceived 'lack of effort' despite being one of the best strikers in the league- the same happens for Maynard and Rose is still loved, just for running about like a lunatic. He's poor more often than he's good, that should be remembered. Going missing for months at a time during a season, which Rose has done at least a couple of times, is not the mark of a striker worth all the praise he gets from our fan base. Having said all this, Rose is effective when leading a press. That is a major quality of his which I acknowledge and rate. Unfortunately, it's not all that is required.

The 'hard work is all we ask' line is nonsense to me. Hard work should be the MINIMUM we ask. There is a massive difference. Unfortunately, our fans seem to think hard work and hard work only is the key to success. It's not.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:21 pm

I can understand people not rating Danny, because his link up play is non-existent and he does roll around a lot, his touch is not great, he's not a great 'footballer'. He's limited, but he's a decent goalscorer, a good second striker. If you have a main striker getting 20, Danny getting 12 and other strikers/midfielders chipping in that's a good team.

I also think, as the above two posts show, it is held against him now, same with Macca, that he has built a rapport with fans. It's not the players fault that they're popular amongst fans, and that other players are not. It has something to do with how approachable they are off the field and the things they sign for kids/have pictures etc. As you say, that should not make them immune to criticism, but equally should not be a stick to beat them with.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Surprised that Shaker never even mentioned Maynard, just Rose and Mellis.
Thought Maynard was a fans favourite.
Hope you enjoy the game tonight and Rosey doesn't disappoint.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 pm

He’s gives 100% as everybody says. But he isn’t a natural goal scorer and never really gets a scrambled goal.Saying that he is a asset to the squad and a decent footballer
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:25 pm

Any team in any league would welcome a striker with a strike ratio of 1 in 2, in terms of goals scored vs shots attempted ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum