{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan press conference Tue 21 Jan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan press conference Tue 21 Jan

Postby Conker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:29 am

Amber Andy wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
part time pete wrote:With regard to fitness, Otis Khan videos pre season were posted where he went on special Lake District courses and everyone was saying well done and he still can’t get in the team with both managers at the helm.

There's a great player in there somewhere, but if we don't play Khan regularly or to his strengths then he's just a passenger
It could be similar to the Sam Clucas situation.

We will let him go for peanuts and he will do well at another club and his value will rise.

I can't see him fitting into GC style of play. Similarly with Clucas under PC.

Weirdly if you flip it and imagine if Khan played under Cox in the role that Lee Stevenson did? Be perfect for him.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
part time pete wrote:With regard to fitness, Otis Khan videos pre season were posted where he went on special Lake District courses and everyone was saying well done and he still can’t get in the team with both managers at the helm.

There's a great player in there somewhere, but if we don't play Khan regularly or to his strengths then he's just a passenger

We will let him go for peanuts and he will do well at another club and his value will rise.

Weirdly if you flip it and imagine if Khan played under Cox in the role that Lee Stevenson did? Be perfect for him.

Or maybe a role like Grant under Flitcroft? ;)

Know it's probably my imagination, but shoehorning Grant into the team seemed to really upset our frontline balance
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:49 pm

Khan is simply too inconsistent in games imo. He’s probably the same in training too, but that’s a guess. Is it because he doesn’t get a run in the first team? Why doesn’t he?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby LarryBurns » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:04 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Khan is simply too inconsistent in games imo. He’s probably the same in training too, but that’s a guess. Is it because he doesn’t get a run in the first team? Why doesn’t he?

Said this myself. Theres a reason why a lad who possesses the talent he does, doesn't get a look in on a Saturday.
LarryBurns
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:12 pm

LarryBurns wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Khan is simply too inconsistent in games imo. He’s probably the same in training too, but that’s a guess. Is it because he doesn’t get a run in the first team? Why doesn’t he?

Said this myself. Theres a reason why a lad who possesses the talent he does, doesn't get a look in on a Saturday.

Hes another Nathan Thomas... will do well at a crap club where he can play every week and produce the off moment of magic.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Dp1976 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:22 pm

Khan is a more expensive version of Chris Clements - if the season took place April - August he would be brilliant but as soon as it gets cold goes missing
Dp1976
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:26 pm

Dp1976 wrote:Khan is a more expensive version of Chris Clements - if the season took place April - August he would be brilliant but as soon as it gets cold goes missing

Seen quite a few mentions of Clements recently. He's better than any our our current central midfielders, playing regularly for a play-off chasing team and played well against us earlier in the season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:32 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Or maybe a role like Grant under Flitcroft? ;)

Know it's probably my imagination, but shoehorning Grant into the team seemed to really upset our frontline balance

Grant was an expensive passenger who went missing when the going got tough.
No good for a relegation fight
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dp1976 wrote:Khan is a more expensive version of Chris Clements - if the season took place April - August he would be brilliant but as soon as it gets cold goes missing

Seen quite a few mentions of Clements recently. He's better than any our our current central midfielders, playing regularly for a play-off chasing team and played well against us earlier in the season.

Hes a very decent midfielder that never had decent players around him... He would walk into this team
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Hes a poor mans Jacob Mellis.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Hes a very decent midfielder that never had decent players around him... He would walk into this team

Completely agree.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:51 pm

lifestags wrote:Hes a poor mans Jacob Mellis.

I personally don't think JM is any better than CC
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:39 pm

Spiritater wrote:

I don't rate either of them
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 am

Agree Khan seems to be a bit of an enigma to me
Seems keen was very very fit and up for the start of the season more than many of the others and does not seem to get a run in the team much at all even as said with new manager.

Also agree he will probably leave and play very well in another team somewhere.

Puzzling one??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:45 am

tillydog123 wrote:Agree Khan seems to be a bit of an enigma to me
Seems keen was very very fit and up for the start of the season more than many of the others and does not seem to get a run in the team much at all even as said with new manager.

Also agree he will probably leave and play very well in another team somewhere.

Puzzling one??

Why is it puzzling. That happens all the time to us.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:47 am

stagmanrob wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Clements was a featherweight, king of the 5yd sideways passer chipped corner delivery.

He was whack!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:09 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Clements was a featherweight, king of the 5yd sideways passer chipped corner delivery.

He was whack!

Yes his short passing was a waste of time, much rather he just hooked it aimlessly forward straight away like most of our recent midfielders :roll:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am

Rob wrote:
The One wrote:
Rob wrote:
The One wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Just watched the full Maynard interview on follow.

Very interesting comments about the team's fitness during Dempster's reign. He said that the players so the work that's asked of them and that the increased focus on conditioning under GC has been
A little bit of evidence to back up those of us who were critical of the fitness levels under JD

Its because of JD we are in this mess, never even looked fit pre season.

Course it was :lol:

Like I said, who do you blame for a player saying they were not fit ?

The player, it's your job to be fit.

Nope. Like in all jobs, your job is to do as you're told to do by your manager. GC came in and told them to work hard a triple training. The players do it because it's their jobs.

Some managers set targets for players to attain over their break to return at a certain level of fitness, usually this is to accommodate the pre season schedule that the manager has devised. Sometimes doing too much in the off season burns you out quicker into the season. This could be what happened last season with our late dip in form. Only the players know if they felt burnt out but it is a possibility, if they did then that was a mistake by Flitcroft. I generally tend to be towards the injuries to key players being the main reason for the downfall.

Generally players are contracted to 5 weeks paid holiday. Tell me, when you are on holiday do you continue to do your job fully?

It's not unprofessional to meet the requirements set out by their manager. We don't know what targets we're under Demps but I've heard/read comments by other managers about players who haven't met these targets.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Rob wrote:
The One wrote:
Rob wrote:
The One wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Just watched the full Maynard interview on follow.

Very interesting comments about the team's fitness during Dempster's reign. He said that the players so the work that's asked of them and that the increased focus on conditioning under GC has been
A little bit of evidence to back up those of us who were critical of the fitness levels under JD

Its because of JD we are in this mess, never even looked fit pre season.

Course it was :lol:

Like I said, who do you blame for a player saying they were not fit ?

The player, it's your job to be fit.

But in reality... ;)

While i agree a player should attain a certain level of fitness, they are just like the vast majority of people and do the least amount required. Not great i know, but it's instinctive human behaviour.

Fitness & leadership have been our 2 biggest shortfalls so far (imo)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum