{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 pm

You sound worried Marty, are you?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Spiritater wrote:You sound worried Marty, are you?

we need a couple of wins. I've picked out those two games as two I think we can win against sides who I believe are worse than us. Then we can be less worried. If we lose the next three, I'll be very worried. That said, I don't think we'll go down.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:56 pm

For Plymouth's first goal, I cannot understand why we had Neal Bishop marking the 6 foot 4 centre half, Niall Canavan, when we had three centre halfs, Hayden White and Danny Rose in the team. The Stags have now conceded 5 league goals from free kicks and five from corners. 10 goals conceded have been headers.

We have conceded 6 penalties this season and 5 have been scored. They have been conceded by Matt Preston 2, Ryan Sweeney, Krystian Pearce, Otis Khan and Alex MacDonald.

Matt Preston leads my table for players who are responsible for conceding goals. I give a point to every player who I think is partly responsible for conceding a goal. I am quite hard on players not blocking crosses or shots. I also didn't blame Matt Preston for Harvey Knibbs' header for Cambridge which Martin did in his report.

Matt Preston - 14
Ryan Sweeney - 12
Krystian Pearce - 11
Kellan Gordon - 10
Mal Benning - 9
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Looked like a penalty to me too when Hamilton went down, I was sat in the home end so had pretty decent view too.

CJ had so many chances in that first half hour and seemed to be through every time he had the ball. Considering how much of the ball he had in the second half as well, it's remarkable he didn't score or assist all afternoon.

I say that, but every single wasted opportunity, poor cross, poor finish, poor ball he only had himself to blame. No composure, permanently panicked, not improving at all. He's basically a sprinter with anxiety issues, definitely not anything more.

From high in the stand we looked strong going forward and Plymouth soooo weak at the back, all three were causing them problems, just no end result, and no midfield to support. They were ours for the taking, and that never happens to us at Home park.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby S7AGS » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:21 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:Looked like a penalty to me too when Hamilton went down, I was sat in the home end so had pretty decent view too.

CJ had so many chances in that first half hour and seemed to be through every time he had the ball. Considering how much of the ball he had in the second half as well, it's remarkable he didn't score or assist all afternoon.

I say that, but every single wasted opportunity, poor cross, poor finish, poor ball he only had himself to blame. No composure, permanently panicked, not improving at all. He's basically a sprinter with anxiety issues, definitely not anything more.

From high in the stand we looked strong going forward and Plymouth soooo weak at the back, all three were causing them problems, just no end result, and no midfield to support. They were ours for the taking, and that never happens to us at Home park.

This is the enigma of CJ though...he needs some intensive coaching (if it’s even possible!)
In your summary it’s clear the attributes he does have get him into positions that others players just can’t....surely with the right guidance he could be something special?

You could get rid and bring a new winger in with more composure but will never get anyone as quick so it’s catch 22... Surely he can be worked on?
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:49 pm

That's the issue, is it possible to teach composure after three odd years? He was better last season but hardly consistent.

It's just a shame. A real big shame.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:36 pm

It's confidence. That is all. CJ thrives on being confident in himself but also on the confidence he has in his team mates.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin