{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Matt Preston

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Matt Preston is absolute sewage

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I agree that the title of the thread just needs changing to Matt Preston.

Ok
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Matt Preston

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:18 pm

Well that's stupid, changing the title of the thread because it stated his opinion in it in an non abusive way?
Meanwhile theres been posts to request thread titles be more specific?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:29 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Well that's stupid, changing the title of the thread because it stated his opinion in it in an non abusive way?
Meanwhile theres been posts to request thread titles be more specific?

I’m not sure I necessarily disagree with changing the title but calling someone sewage is pretty abusive.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:29 pm

oldweststander wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Preston made it clear when he joined that he had turned down other clubs to sign for Mansfield because of Flitcroft and Futcher, who he felt could really help his career. They did, he was very good last season despite what some people are trying to rewrite. Our defence hasn’t been the same since Flitcroft and Futcher left, and I think Futcher was probably mostly responsible for the defensive side of things.

It is also very clear from changing room videos etc. last season that he is very close with Krystian Pearce. He may have been effected by Pearces unhappiness or the treatment of him.

Don't make my heart bleed mate.

The guy is a pro footballer, earning very good money for doing something we would all have probably sold our soul to do but he iseis just not on the same page as he was last season.

Always comes out last, maybe something he likes to do, never looks "up for it", always clutching a bottle of something or other, slow, rash in the tackle and his body language awful.

Maybe he should drop out of footballing duties and go live in Canada with some others who are finding work difficult.

Not excusing his performances mate, just trying to find some reasoning for such a sharp decline. As many have pointed out, the decisions he’s made this season have been so brainless from someone who was a good player last season there must be a reason behind it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Close to signing a Center Back apparently.. who I have no idea

Ask Musings he'll be in on the deal :roll:

Whoever it is I hope it’s a head it and kick it defender, preferably a clearance that lands right on your bonce, knock some sense into you.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:38 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Whoever it is I hope it’s a head it and kick it defender, preferably a clearance that lands right on your bonce, knock some sense into you.

Bet you're gutted you don't know who it is. Do your usual and make out you know
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

im hoping for a big brick raspberries house kinda CB... Like when Ben Turner arrived. Couldn't give a toss if they don't want to play out from the back, just stop being beat to the ball from any set piece please.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Ben Turner eventually came good. You could tell he was rusty and recovering from a (ankle?) injury in his first few games. Once he recovered and got game time he really flourished.

Thinking about it, how many times was Preston concussed last season? Maybe he's took one too many blows to the head.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby M E » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Only just seen the penalty incident, get rid of Preston now, he should be the first out the door, you wouldn’t see penalties given away like that in Sunday league, even last season when our defence was decent I always felt he was the weak link and an accident waiting to happen.
M E
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:45 pm

M E wrote:Only just seen the penalty incident, get rid of Preston now, he should be the first out the door, you wouldn’t see penalties given away like that in Sunday league, even last season when our defence was decent I always felt he was the weak link and an accident waiting to happen.

I mean we should replace him with....?? We don't have any other options, Dempster got it so wrong in the summer its unbelievable... like he claims he saw this lot play last year but I genuinely don't believe that at all. Yes they had a great record but my god anyone knows that they would need competition to carry that on otherwise it just goes stale.

In the summer we needed minimum a full back and centre back... (don't get me started on this midfield)
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

im hoping for a big brick raspberries house kinda CB... Like when Ben Turner arrived. Couldn't give a toss if they don't want to play out from the back, just stop being beat to the ball from any set piece please.

Agree. I’ve mentioned Jake Wright a few times, would be a good signing. Local, leader, can defend. Just whether he fancies dropping to the bottom of League Two.

Bore off Clanger, do you actually post about football?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Agree. I’ve mentioned Jake Wright a few times, would be a good signing. Local, leader, can defend. Just whether he fancies dropping to the bottom of League Two.

Only football and rumourmongers
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Who is Jake Wright?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:54 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 pm

He’s at Sheff United, been there since Wilder bought him as captain in L1. Captained Oxford to L1 too. He’s knocking on a bit but it exactly what we need. We tried to sign him in the summer but we’re hijacked last minute by Bolton, where he spent the first half the season on loan. They sent him back in Jan.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

This.

Back to basics for the back line, do your job and defend. Worry about playing out from the back and building attacks when we’ve stopped shipping goals.

I thought Ben Turner got better every single time he played and would have happily seen him here this season.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby AshMTFC1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:52 pm

Preston is one of many who have been absolutely dump all season
AshMTFC1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 am

AshMTFC1 wrote:Preston is one of many who have been absolutely dump all season

What! Another insightful comment?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:25 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
AshMTFC1 wrote:Preston is one of many who have been absolutely dump all season

What! Another insightful comment?

He's right though, insightful or not.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 am

Matt Preston is the new Jake Buxton wonder what happened to his career after he was hounded out !!
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:51 am

Buxton is still playing. Now in his second spell at Burton Albion. Last played when the Brewers (thankfully IMO) beat MK Dons 1-0 at home last Tuesday night. Also played against the Stags in the Checkatrade Trophy two months ago. Details checked.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby weststander » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:22 am

Billy the fish wrote:Matt Preston is the new Jake Buxton wonder what happened to his career after he was hounded out !!

Buxton wasn't hounded out.
weststander
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gibbo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:22 am

Billy the fish wrote:Matt Preston is the new Jake Buxton wonder what happened to his career after he was hounded out !!

Can you honestly say that Buxton looked like a Championship defender when he played for us? He made stupid challenges and gave the ball away in dangerous positions just like Preston does now.
gibbo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:40 am

The whole defence has been a liability this season conceding 45 goals from 28 games. Only Morecambe have conceded more goals (50).

We've conceded 14 goals in the last 7 games and 9 have been from restarts/set pieces (3 penalties, 3 free kicks, 2 corners and one throw in). Mal Benning also scored an own goal. Graham Coughlan was bang on after the Forest Green game that we do not stop or block enough crosses coming into the area. Kellan Gordon, James Clarke, Mal Benning, CJ Hamilton and Alex MacDonald have all been guilty of this.

We also lack what Paul Hurst described on Saturday as "first header" of the ball who is also a leader. Scunthorpe have a similar problem due to injuries although they have only conceded 40 goals. Ryan Sweeney is our best header of the ball but he often switches off and loses his man. Matt Preston is brave and will stick his head in where it hurts but he does the same. Krystian Pearce did not win the first header that resulted in the first goal for Salford. He also switched off and lost his man against Newport, Exeter City, Walsall and Plymouth.

GC was a great defender for Plymouth and I trust him to sort out the defence when he gets his own players in and has more time to coach the defence. I think he was initially brought in by Bristol Rovers as a defensive coach.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The whole defence has been a liability this season conceding 45 goals from 28 games. Only Morecambe have conceded more goals (50).

We've conceded 14 goals in the last 7 games and 9 have been from restarts/set pieces (3 penalties, 3 free kicks, 2 corners and one throw in). Mal Benning also scored an own goal. Graham Coughlan was bang on after the Forest Green game that we do not stop or block enough crosses coming into the area. Kellan Gordon, James Clarke, Mal Benning, CJ Hamilton and Alex MacDonald have all been guilty of this.

We also lack what Paul Hurst described on Saturday as "first header" of the ball who is also a leader. Scunthorpe have a similar problem due to injuries although they have only conceded 40 goals. Ryan Sweeney is our best header of the ball but he often switches off and loses his man. Matt Preston is brave and will stick his head in where it hurts but he does the same. Krystian Pearce did not win the first header that resulted in the first goal for Salford. He also switched off and lost his man against Newport, Exeter City, Walsall and Plymouth.

GC was a great defender for Plymouth and I trust him to sort out the defence when he gets his own players in and has more time to coach the defence. I think he was initially brought in by Bristol Rovers as a defensive coach.

Let's hope he's better than Dempster, who has also a defender but could not get his defenders to do their job properly!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum