{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan press conference Tue 15 Jan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan press conference Tue 15 Jan

Postby spanishstag » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Well we know who the chief is now ,its his way or the highway ,just whats needed at MTFC at the moment ,good on him
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:28 pm

spanishstag wrote:Well we know who the chief is now ,its his way or the highway ,just whats needed at MTFC at the moment ,good on him
He will come through for us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 am

Amber Andy wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Well we know who the chief is now ,its his way or the highway ,just whats needed at MTFC at the moment ,good on him

I hope he does andy ,but Coughlans management methods are spot on imo ,we need somebody to kick some butts ,its in KP,s court now
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:05 am

Sedgwick wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:Sounds like the manager is back tracking to me which shows weakness to the players

The think is whiffy lad you don’t show your captain the door and tell him he’s surplus to requirements if you rate them . Pearce n Mellis will know only to well if they don’t find a club this January they will be looking definitely for a new one come May.

He hasn't shown KP the door though has he? He's not transfer listed. It seems to me he's trying to find the players who want to give their all for the club by giving them the option to either bugger off or stay and fight for a shirt.

I can't imagine mellis will stay though, the only fight he's got is in town centre at 4 in the morning.

He's seen two talented lads, one who's been here a while, both underperforming and shoved a rocket up their arse... balls in their court now. Good management, and dempster never would have had the balls to do anything about players under performing.

Yes, I thought immediately that it's throwing down the gauntlet to players and challenging them to either knuckle down or slope off. I guess that Mellis will do the latter, but if he wants to prove everyone wrong he knows what he needs to do. Certainly all these guys have performed in the past, have the ability, but some need a hard look at themselves.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:21 am

spanishstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I hope he does andy ,but Coughlans management methods are spot on imo ,we need somebody to kick some butts ,its in KP,s court now

The near miss of glory last season has clearly had a psychological effect on certain players.

There are two ways to try and sort this, an arm around the shoulder or a kick up the backside. It appears JD brought in Drew Broughton to try and sort it ( arm around the shoulder ), and it failed.

It looks like GC has applied the other method. I hope he hasn't kicked too hard. Time will tell. I would think KP will react in a positive way.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 am

more from the interview

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Good to see that GC is giving Krystian Pearce a way back into the team if he wants it. Krystian likes a challenge as he proved when Steve Evans left him out of the team.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 pm

I think it’s clear that GC regrets his heat of the moment outburst, and seems to be back peddling a bit. He has a reputation for this and himself admitted that he was probably a bit too harsh on Pearce. Personally, I’m not sure that publicly outing your players is the best way to get them onside, but I’m sure he has his motives.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:02 pm

It's amazing how people see things.

Graham Coughlan is in charge. He's made his statement. I think KP will have been made an example of and both GC and KP are probably aware of that.

It works for all involved for the following reasons;

Either KP decides to sulk and look for a new club, meaning we offload a high earner and an under-performer.

Or,

KP decides that he is up for the challenge and works hard to get back in the team.

Meanwhile, this sends out a very strong message to the squad; work hard, prove yourself, get in the team, otherwise you are not wanted. by making an example of KP, it shows that no single player is above or beyond the swing of the manager's axe.

I would hope that KP decides that he does want to play for Stags again, and that the wider squad respond to someone who is undoubtedly a big figure at the club being publicly made an example of.

I cant see a problem in this approach - I certainly don't see GC as 'backing down' in any way.

Mellis on the other hand - he is an unfit underperformer. I expect him to think 'sod this'.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Tawnystag wrote:I think it’s clear that GC regrets his heat of the moment outburst, and seems to be back peddling a bit. He has a reputation for this and himself admitted that he was probably a bit too harsh on Pearce. Personally, I’m not sure that publicly outing your players is the best way to get them onside, but I’m sure he has his motives.

It's not really back pedalling, he said you can either fight for the shirt and show some leadership (which is obviously lacking in the dressing room) or ship out if he's not up for a challenge.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 pm

GC did the exact same thing (Chris Lines) when he went in at Bristol Rovers.

Go in hard at a complacent fans favourite to stir up a reaction. It's a power play.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:41 pm

He definitely did this for a reaction.

We (here on Stagsnet) all know Pearce is way better than every other centre back at the club, so I’ll take a wild guess that GC is aware too.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:35 pm

When travelling to the game on Saturday I heard the news on the radio about him saying Mellis and Pearce can go. I instantly said 'thats an impact statement, he's telling everyone at the club if he's willing to get rid of Pearce then none of them are safe so get your arses into gear'. I'm still sure that's what this was and I do believe he won't have any slackers at the club in the future.

Mellis did come back to the Mill and watch the game, he sat right in the top corner of the Ian Greaves stand towards the QLE. I purposely had a look to see his reaction when CJ scored... He just sat playing on his phone. I don't think he cares enough to fight for his shirt.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:43 pm

Stoney wrote:When travelling to the game on Saturday I heard the news on the radio about him saying Mellis and Pearce can go. I instantly said 'thats an impact statement, he's telling everyone at the club if he's willing to get rid of Pearce then none of them are safe so get your arses into gear'. I'm still sure that's what this was and I do believe he won't have any slackers at the club in the future.

Mellis did come back to the Mill and watch the game, he sat right in the top corner of the Ian Greaves stand towards the QLE. I purposely had a look to see his reaction when CJ scored... He just sat playing on his phone. I don't think he cares enough to fight for his shirt.

That would be Pep phoning to see if hes available.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:30 pm

Stoney wrote:When travelling to the game on Saturday I heard the news on the radio about him saying Mellis and Pearce can go. I instantly said 'thats an impact statement, he's telling everyone at the club if he's willing to get rid of Pearce then none of them are safe so get your arses into gear'. I'm still sure that's what this was and I do believe he won't have any slackers at the club in the future.

If that's the case and you're not mistaken, Mellis will probably get another L2 club for the rest of the season and then drop down to Conference level where he can get away with slacking. In ten years time he'll be complaining that he was one of the most talented players in the EFL and never got the recognition he deserved.
In twenty years time he'll be wondering why he wasted so much time messing about when he had such a great opportunity.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Yet more revisionism on this board. On Saturday, for most getting rid of KP was a good move as his attitude was off, poor all season, etc. Now that GC is probably realising he's made a mistake (at least by going so public) and has back-tracked, it is being rebranded as a masterstroke to motivate Pearce all along.

This whole thing is baffling and slightly embarrassing.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:06 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:Yet more revisionism on this board. On Saturday, for most getting rid of KP was a good move as his attitude was off, poor all season, etc. Now that GC is probably realising he's made a mistake (at least by going so public) and has back-tracked, it is being rebranded as a masterstroke to motivate Pearce all along.

What he said on Tuesday was pretty much what he said on Saturday, but with the added detail re Pearce. No back tracking.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:23 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:Yet more revisionism on this board. On Saturday, for most getting rid of KP was a good move as his attitude was off, poor all season, etc. Now that GC is probably realising he's made a mistake (at least by going so public) and has back-tracked, it is being rebranded as a masterstroke to motivate Pearce all along.

A lot of assumptions being made to fit an agenda.
Has GC made a mistake or was this part of the strategy?
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 pm

Back tracked? In what way? On Saturday he said that Pearce and Mellis were free to leave, but if they prove that they want to stay then they can. He still says the same.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 pm

How is kicking under performing players up the arse embarrassing? Their performances have been embarrassing and should rightly so be told that they need to improve or they will be gone. He's tried to be nice with some and they're still not pulling their fingers out.

As others and I have said, it's not backtracking at all
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:34 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

How is kicking under performing players up the arse embarrassing? Their performances have been embarrassing and should rightly so be told that they need to improve or they will be gone. He's tried to be nice with some and they're still not pulling their fingers out.

As others and I have said, it's not backtracking at all

He reiterated what JR said in his programme notes. get your act together or go.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:36 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Apointing Dempster was big big mistake. We never looked fit even pre season. Rose admits that.
The One
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum